Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Skiing for U.S. student abroad in Europe

Poster: A snowHead
Have you looked at trains? It might be possible to get a sleeper train from Copenhagen to Innsbruck/Salzburg (maybe with a change) then transfer on to a local train to take you right to a resort. Kitzbuhel, Schladming and Leogang all spring to mind. If you can overnight travel it might mean you can maximise the skiing time.

Given the number of Danes overtaking me on the motorway yesterday it might also be worth finding out what the Danish version of Snowheads is. You might be able to tag along with a group/family driving and chip in with the travel costs (people quite often post on here that they are travelling somewhere and have room to take more). The smart group will be travelling overnight so they can ski as soon as they arrive in resort in the morning.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If it was me, for a weekend, with minimum hassle, and narrowed to those airports, I’d fly to Geneva and either

- take a transfer bus (these are shared shuttle services and there are many company offering, skiidygonzales recommended for Morzine) and stay in Morzine somewhere which is in the Portes du Soleil, which has over 280 mostly linked trails across 12 resorts on one lift pass - so totally unlike anything in North America

- take the train to Le Chable and ski Verbier / 4 vallees which is iconic and unique. Also higher.

You could also fly into Zurich and there are more local areas e.g. Flims, but I have no personal experience of doing that.

Any other options are adding complexity or hassle.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hammerite wrote:
Given the number of Danes overtaking me on the motorway yesterday it might also be worth finding out what the Danish version of Snowheads is.

SnowVikings? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You will not be disappointed if you go to Val d'Isere. You won't be able to cover it all in a long weekend but there are some fabulous runs and spectacular scenery, especially from the Tignes glacier.

Val Thorens - or anywhere in the 3 Valleys - is also a good shout.

I wouldn't choose St Anton if you're only doing piste skiing.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another thing to check... does the place you are studying at have a ski club/society?

I know a lot of British universities head out for a ski trip at the end of the season.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@HoneyBunny, are shared transfers easy to Vd’I or VT? Also, ~3hrs (?) vs 1hr 15 ish for Morzine... it’s the usual weekend think of time optimisation...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ischgl - can’t go wrong...and beer is a lot cheaper than France or Switzerland!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So Verbier, Val d'Isere, or Ischgl? Looking for great piste skiing for advanced/intemrdiate/expert, the best views on the mountains, and an added bonus is cheapness of price and accessbility. Would be going March 15th-19th. Best airports for me are Lyon, Geneva, Zurich, Milan
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I’m beginning to think this is a bit of a wind up. For example, from Copenhagen to Lyon the only direct flight arrives after 10pm - unlikely there is a transfer, and even if you hired a car you wouldn’t be in Val D’Isere until 2am.

For those dates you are likely to get 3 or 3.5 days skiing. Research good flight times then a resort that is max 1.5 hours away.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@CarsonPotter, assuming this is a serious request, in my (considerable, oh god I sound middle aged) (but I have done a lot (? 100+ ?) ski weekends from the UK ( sorry, have to say I have done at least 150 in the last12 years but I live in Geneva so, you do)

Minimise transit
Make it easy
Maximise skiing

It is not terribly difficult.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name wrote:
@CarsonPotter, assuming this is a serious request, in my (considerable, oh god I sound middle aged) (but I have done a lot (? 100+ ?) ski weekends from the UK ( sorry, have to say I have done at least 150 in the last12 years but I live in Geneva so, you do)

Minimise transit
Make it easy
Maximise skiing

Exactly what I'm looking to do. Coming from America and this all being new to me, hasn't been to easy. I'm trying though
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CarsonPotter wrote:
under a new name wrote:

Minimise transit
Make it easy
Maximise skiing

Exactly what I'm looking to do. Coming from America and this all being new to me, hasn't been to easy. I'm trying though

Ok then, are you planning to leave evening of March 14th, or on the 15th? And you need to be on the 19th?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Val D'sere is the best resort Inthe world for great skiers according to most major reviews. Young crowd, big partying and epic piste skiing. Also high so snowsure

St Anton and Ischgl are the best Austria offers in a similar vein.

Chamonix is as epic as anywhere on the planet but a bit strung out and involves a bit of bus work, when there. Easy transfer from Geneva too.

3v huge but not as much for the advanced skier as in the resorts above.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@CarsonPotter, first thing is the flights. Are there daily flights Copenhagen to Geneva? And at what times?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@CarsonPotter, Nendaz. Fly to Geneva, train to Sion and local bus up the hill to Nendaz. Lifts into Verbier, same lift pass. Alternatively stay in Verbier itself, but more expensive great piste and off-piste if conditions allow.
ski holidays
For the weekend I'm am looking at going, I could fly into Geneva and be there at 4:05 on Thursday and get situated, ski Friday-Sunday, then have a late flight out on Monday from Geneva that would allow transfer times and so forth to get back to Geneva and relax before flight. Again guys, I'm new to all this so take it easy on me. Trying my best to make this work
snow report
@CarsonPotter, Sounds like you should 'get situated' somewhere not too far from Geneva, with good public transport links, that allow you to use Monday as a ski day. So another vote for Nendaz from me (We left there at 4pm, caught the bus/train to Geneva airport in plenty of time for a flight around 8pm back to London).
snow report
Have you looked at Salzburg or Innsbruck? If you can get early flights you can be in a ski area well within an hour.

There are even some areas where you can ski for free from 3pm if you are buying a pass for the next day. Granted it’s a short ski but entirely possible.
latest report
CarsonPotter wrote:
For the weekend I'm am looking at going, I could fly into Geneva and be there at 4:05 on Thursday and get situated, ski Friday-Sunday, then have a late flight out on Monday from Geneva that would allow transfer times and so forth to get back to Geneva and relax before flight. Again guys, I'm new to all this so take it easy on me. Trying my best to make this work

If you are getting a late flight on Monday you can ski on Monday. Sounds ideal to be honest. What is the cost of the flights at the moment?
ski holidays
@hammerite, OP already listed airports that are cheap, those were not included...
snow report
@under a new name, he also said earlier in the thread that cost wasn’t an issue, but I guess that’s changed.
ski holidays
hammerite wrote:
@under a new name, he also said earlier in the thread that cost wasn’t an issue, but I guess that’s changed.

there's a lot of room between "want it cheap" to "cost not an issue". The OP said cost "not a deal breaker", which can fit anywhere in that wide spectrum of cost.

there're 2 direction to approach this:

1) find a list of airport with "cheap" flight

2) a list of resort within "easy" transfer from "a airport", ANY airport

If the flight difference is only a hundred euro and the transfer cost 100 euro. It's not exactly a "cheap airport"!

The OP had provided the 1st list. Snowheads had help with the 2nd list. Now OP need to figure out where the intersection are.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy