Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is heading to Kitzsteinhorn to avoid rain a good idea?

Poster: A snowHead
Next Thursday rain is currently forecast with the snow line up to 1900m in the Kitzbühel area. I realise the forecast may well change, but if it doesn’t, would it be worth going up to the Kitzsteinhorn glacier for the day?
Or will it get extremely busy with people with the same idea, especially as next week is the peak holiday week of the year?
We will have the regional lift pass which includes the glacier and it’s about a 90 min drive.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Where have you found this forecast? Bergfex says snow line of 920 next Thursday and heavy snow. But in any case it's too far ahead to be very accurate at present. The trend next week looks cold overall as it has been this week.

Personally, I'd steer clear of anything above the treeline in bad weather. For better visibility stay among the trees.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That good advice. Kitzsteinhorn in a whiteout is not ridable/skiable
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It was last nights Bergfex, but you’re right it’s looking better now.
So what would you do if it does rain to the tops?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Drammeister, go to the Aquarena, or a bar. Skiing in the rain is ok for an hour tops. Kitzteinhorn is beautiful on a calm sunny day and the skiing is ok, but nothing better than that. Would I spend 3 hours to ski there in bad weather - Not a chance.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
On a Ski touring trip in the Salzburg area but slogged through the rain all day and skiied down in slush-puppy-mush so we decided to ditch the ski touring for the following day and ski Kitzsteinhorn instead. Had one of the best powder days of my life skiing fresh lift served tracks all day. snowHead

Was also there earlier this season but the wind had got to the powder so it wasn't quite that epic. As with many high resorts (e.g. Obergurgl & Obertauern) wind and visibility can be a problem.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It is an excellent idea.

The only alternative is to stand on the lakeside of Zell am Zee, watching it fill up, sheltering under a brolly and muttering remarks such as "wonderful weather for ducks! ... in a silly English voice.

Yours faithfully, John Cleese
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Davina Goldballs, Not sure why one would leave a ski resort, drive for 80 minutes to watch rain falling at Zell am Zee
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If there is any wind then avoid the glacier, you are up near 3000m on an exposed glacier, its great when calm and sunny, but if there is cloud, wind and snow its probably unskiable. You'd be better off in the higher bits of Zell above the snow line but sheltered by the trees.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
This is an interesting dilemma.

Get soaked in rain vs see nothing.

I've skied in both types of conditions. Once at the top of Hintertux it was snowing with icy pellets and the wind was so strong that they were flying horizontally. I literally felt that my legs were being flayed through the Goretex and merino underlayer (I was better covered on my upper body, and of course my face was turned away from the wind, as I still needed my skin for other purposes). Still, got a couple of runs in. Gave up after half a day, though.

Rain is just training for Lofoten.

Or: ski a couple of runs, chill out / après wildly for the rest of the day.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Drammeister, I'm guessing you are at Leogang or Saalbach?
but maybe not as that would be a 90 min round trip...by

To be honest, stick with what you get...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ski just long enough in the rain to earn several beers/whiskies and an extended apres session

OR

Find somewhere high but rocky so there's enough contrast to see where you're going
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Prescription for a rainy day: late night of apres-apres-ski the previous evening, a good lie-in, watch TV, do some apres later. (Looking forward to it!)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skiing in the rain is still 15 times better than a day at work.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I cant believe anyone seriously believes Bergfexs weather predictions Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Check the cams before you leave for visibility and wind readings. Schimittenhohe in Zell Am See is very exposed too and often close that side when the wind kicks up.

It's hard to avoid the rain but if it's a whiteout and looking for tree lined runs if you are in Zell Am See area I personally head over to Leogang. Drive there or get the Sonleitenbahn up and it's just down the other side of it. Generally a bit quieter too
snow report
@Kooky, You might have noticed I did say the forecast might change. Bergfex are as good as any forecaster, it’s based on the ECM op run but then localised. If you see something on there and it’s supported by GFS, there’s a fair chance it might happen.
Most other online forecasters use GFS.
@shredder, We’re in Waidring, there’s plenty of tree lined runs in the area, that’s not an issue. As it turns out, it looks like the rain will be overnight snow now. Smile
The mountain here, the Steinplatte, has virtually all its skiing above 1100m which is high for this region.
latest report
clarky999 wrote:
Ski just long enough in the rain to earn several beers/whiskies and an extended apres session

OR

Find somewhere high but rocky so there's enough contrast to see where you're going

I think option 1 sounds the most appealing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy