Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Innsbruck questions - both skiing and non-skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So after the Birthday Bash, I'm heading up to Innsbruck for a few days. I've spent a few hours there a couple of times before when passing through, but never stayed for longer. I'm solo, and a nervous/timid blue run skier at the best of times. So a couple of questions...

* Where should I head for easy skiing?
* Any recommendations of good ski schools/instructors? Since I'm on my own, I might as well make use of the time getting some lessons in.
* What else should I do on my days off skiing? I doubt I'll want to ski every day, as I'll have been skiing all the previous week at the bash and want to get some touristy stuff in too.
* I have my own boots, but should I rent skis in each place, or is it better to rent in the city centre and take them out with you? (I won't have a car.)

It's carnival week while I'm there, if that makes any difference to anything.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We were there for a few days (non-skiing) just before Xmas.

Eat and drink! This thread might help with that

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=133118&highlight=

I'll do a trip report shortly which will include a few touristy things we did.

As for skiing there or thereabouts clarky999 is your man, am sure he will see this and reply.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ster, thanks for that thread link, I thought I'd seen some useful threads round here, but couldn't relocate them. Looking forward to your trip report.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It will appear now I have a deadline, before the BB.

Meanwhile I found this official site pretty good.

https://www.innsbruck.info/en/innsbruck-city.html

Clarky999 will confirm but I can't imagine the local city slopes up on Nordkette look the easy blue variety, but plenty of other ski areas within easy reach on the ski buses that run from the city, these may be of interest if you havent already booked accomodation.

https://www.innsbruck.info/en/innsbruck-city/packages/winter/ski-city.html
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I thought Nordkette was the one more suited to rad/gnar off piste? And either Axamer Lizum or Igls/Patscherkofel were the "less rad" ones?

Would have thought for a couple of days, and needing to rent skis, it would make sense to pick one and rent there? No idea what rental shops there are though. But it is a bit surreal seeing skiers all togged up clomping around with skis in the middle of a city centre.

I'm sure a local will be along soon.

Whenever I'm staying in Innsbruck, I'm always either skiing in Zillertal (but I have a car), or on a stopover to/from the Dolomites. One of these days I will actually ski one of the Innsbruck ski areas. Won't have time though on this BB stopover.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Schlick2000? You can bus it easily from innsbruck and can rent skis right at the Base. Longish easy blues.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think you can do Azamer Lizum & Kuhtai quite easily from Innsbruck by bus.. both areas offer plenty of easy runs.. Kuhtai more so maybe, but a longer bus ride.

There are groomed runs that aren't that scary at Nordkette, but prepare for them to get a bit repetitive... the main reason folk go up there is for the bonkers stuff. Fab views though Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I spent 5 days in Innsbruck - maybe a bit more advanced than you but not much.
Ski buses are very good and organised- all go from one place.
Main thing is that any of the destinations are not so big that you will get lost so no need to worry on that score.And at least the ones I went to - all the runs you will go on will get you back to the bus or nearby.
Axamer and Stubai I particularly liked. Kuhtai is great but not much blue territory.
Have fun Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi, I agree with suec. The key for me in Innsbruck is where you stay. The big hotels like the Hilton are served by a ski bus that goes to most ski areas via the bus station. You can decide which area to ski depending on the weather.

Stubai is my favourite, it's the highest served by a glacier. If your not a strong skier, or weather is bad download to the base from a mid station. Schlick 2000 uses the same bus as Stubai and is a drop off. This is tree lined so good in windy weather or poor light.

Axamar is fairly close to Innsbruck. We used to land around 11:00. Go to hotel and then get a taxi up to ski area, skiing by 12:30! Take bus back.

Kuhtai can be challenging so not for improvers. It's where they film the Jump.

We've also skied Patscherkoffel but limited.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Rcav wrote:

* Where should I head for easy skiing?
* Any recommendations of good ski schools/instructors? Since I'm on my own, I might as well make use of the time getting some lessons in.
* What else should I do on my days off skiing? I doubt I'll want to ski every day, as I'll have been skiing all the previous week at the bash and want to get some touristy stuff in too.
* I have my own boots, but should I rent skis in each place, or is it better to rent in the city centre and take them out with you? (I won't have a car.)

Hey,

- Patscherköfel, Schlick 2000 and Axamer Lizum will be the best skiing options for you. Nordkette only has one blue and one black piste. Stubai would be good if the weather is nice. All easy to get to on the bus.
- Sorry can't help there!
- Wander around the old town and check out the shops/restaurants/bars, go up to Nordkette to see the view over the city, visit the Alpenzoo (the otters are my favourite), visit Bergisel and check out the ski jump/museum, get the bus to Wattens to see the Swarovski Crystal Welt.
- Guess it depends how many days you'll be skiing and if you can decide whether you'll start and finish at the same place... However there is nowhere at Axamer Lizum itself to rent skis as most people stay/rent from the villages down the valley.

Hope that helps!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Clarky999 wrote:

However there is nowhere at Axamer Lizum itself to rent skis as most people stay/rent from the villages down the valley.

Hope that helps!

Good point, if you decide to ski different areas, probably best to hire in Innsbruck and take skis on the bus saving yourself time. There are many hire shops, ask the hotel your staying at for the nearest. There may even b a discount Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Rcav wrote:
@ster, thanks for that thread link, I thought I'd seen some useful threads round here, but couldn't relocate them. Looking forward to your trip report.

Better late than never?

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3191227#3191227
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
How do you get a bus ticket to one of the resorts around Innsbruck?

I was there for a couple of days recently and the only info I could find was that the bus was included on your tourist card, but you only got that if you stayed at certain hotels.

As for non-skiing, I was caught out by Innsbruck being mostly shut on Sundays, apart from 2 or 3 places near the train station, so plan ahead if arriving then.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Rcav, we had a few days in Innsbruck a while back and skied mainly at Axamer Lizum which will suit your needs perfectly. Hire skis near your accommodation and get the free ski bus to the resort and back each day, just an easy 20 minute journey. If you fancy a change for skiing then head up to the Stubai glacier which is about a hours bus ride away but lovely skiing.

as noted above I would stay somewhere central.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ODG wrote:
How do you get a bus ticket to one of the resorts around Innsbruck?

I was there for a couple of days recently and the only info I could find was that the bus was included on your tourist card, but you only got that if you stayed at certain hotels.

As for non-skiing, I was caught out by Innsbruck being mostly shut on Sundays, apart from 2 or 3 places near the train station, so plan ahead if arriving then.

I think you are referring to the Welcome card.

https://www.innsbruck.info/en/experience/welcomecard.html

Didn't look into this as we weren't skiing in the resorts around Innsbruck. We didnt get offered one but we were staying in a privately owned apartment. Doesn't say who offers this on the tourist website but I imagine a call to whichever hotel you are staying at could clarify if they have it or even to the tourist office itself.

Alternatively there is this package offering which includes travel and lift pass.

https://www.innsbruck.info/en/regions/southern-holiday-villages/packages.html
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy