Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The FEAR! Is there a way to overcome it?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I usually feel the need to stop before tackling the steep pitch (but then I stop a lot), and if so I always stop a good ten feet back. That way I'm not staring into the abyss and psyching myself out, plus I can start off and get some velocity going and be nicely balanced, which makes the first (and often steepest) turn an awful lot easier.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Practice.

PMA.

Don't be the last in the group.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For me the most progress past the fear was when I found a new instructor who really helped me understand the physics of skiing and therefore how to adapt my technique to the terrain. It made me realise that until then I had only managed to ski despite my ignorance.

It did make me very cynical about some resort ski schools and the way they teach. My point being is that commercially the last thing they want is for you to really learn how to ski and thus they very deliberately only take you to the point where you can be convinced your money for that week has been well spent and no further. Lest you don't come back in future years for some more...

Yes, it comes back some times and I have to do a few drills and refocus. Maybe after a wee error and close shave which in terms of making sure that confidence doesn't overtake competence is no bad thing?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Personal opinion FWIW. Skiing is an adrenalin fuelled sport /pastime. Without the fear there would not be the thrill and ultimately the satisfaction of completion. Whatever level of technical ability you are at you will always be able to push yourself to the edges of your ability which will result in the "fear"/ adrenalin release/reward. That feeling of "Oh s**t that's steep" to the completion of "Oh my G*d that was wonderful" let's do it again only to find that it's not quite as scary/good the next time.

Channel the fear and use it to focus on your technique, as you gradually improve your perception of what is scary will change so that what was scary last year is no longer scary and something that you wouldn't have even considered last year starts to look tempting this year.

Keep the fear but use it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My trick is to get stuck halfway down some steep horrible mogul run and then freak out! I got past the steepest bit of Sache in Tignes a couple of weeks ago, then my ski slid on ice and threw me off my rhythm. Then moguls were bigger than I've seen on it before and had ice between. I hate ice. I slithered to a stop at the side of the piste with nowhere to turn and thought "FUUUUUUUUCK!!". Then I freaked myself out and luckily a guy skiing with me talked me down. I'd have still been there otherwise. I had to reverse back onto the piste and only needed two turns to get out of trouble but it was just putting them in once my brain had checked out and convinced me I was going to die. The first turn was one of those crappy jellylegs one but I made it to the bottom unscathed and very angry with myself. I must have skied Sache about 8 times in the past without any incident! I'd always loved it.

The fear is horrible and I wish I knew how to stop it. I also know that the only way to get down something on the edge of my comfort zone is to not stop, especially on the ledges. I did Epaule du Charvet in Val a couple of years back, it's the steepest run I've ever properly skied. I was definitely a bit scared and had to tell myself to just keep going but when I made it down non-stop I was on a massive high (just like the above post describes)!

That's the most annoying thing of all; I know I can ski these runs, it's just the stupid, irrational 'fear' telling me I can't. So then I can't.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Option 1: You can push through your fear, and expose yourself to the danger you instinctively understand.

Option 2: You can improve your skills, and reduce the danger.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rossyl lots of good advice here ... you are not alone, I've become a bit of a pussy in recent years ..
There was a time years ago .. and I do remember the fear looking down that icy decent into the umbrella bar at Ischgl as @Scarlet highlighted, but once you were down it ... you felt good and deserved that beer.
(And the Vodka with a fig in it).

In fast @Maireadoconnor helped me get back in the zone last year by getting me to ski down "gangnan style".

My own personal tips are to:
1) Spread your Toes whenever you are looking at a particular scary bit.
2) Sing a happy song... mine is "I'll sing you the song of the lonesome goatherd"

http://youtube.com/v/fW1gMVw_LtI
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy