Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Strolz ski boots questions

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

After getting Julbo ski goggles(to deal with anti-fog) with insert-lenses for my myopia and various other gear such as ski-gloves etc., I am finally dealing with my former ghastly ski-boots issue, and have already booked an appointment with Strolz in Lech for their custom skiboots. I gather I will be asked a lot of questions, and will be able to get Strolz to alter my skiboots for free for a week or so afterwards. Could anyone who has used strolz before, preferably in more recent years, give me any advice that I might need? My guess(?) is that the all-rounder shell is best for me, what with me wanting to go off-piste a lot these days but also not necessarily wanting the harder flex associated with more freeride-oriented skiboots. Are Strolz so good that extra items such as shin-pads or heel inserts and the like are never needed as well, or will I have to buy /ask for extra items to make the ideal fit for my feet? I'm an intermediate skier, to be honest, despite having skiied from the age of 6 - can I have the flex adjusted so that I can at any time alter it from, say, 80 to 110, for example? Or is this an absurd, unworkable idea? Any advice appreciated....
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Surely Strolz are the people to ask?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@endoman, the OP is just winding you up
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
under a new name wrote:
@endoman, the OP is just winding you up

I was going to ask, the "I've bought some gloves" line was a belter.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I diagnose NPD disorder. Hmm, well, perhaps I am overanalyzing things, I'll see what happens with strolz.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@CromCruach, Do you actually know anything about Strolz ski boots? You sound like the sort of guy wanting to buy a Porsche, just to buy a Porsche, without a clue about alloys, leather, tiptronic, engine size. Just don't expect any change from 800 Euros.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have read about the various Strolz models and have some idea what to tell the Strolz guy. But some aspects mentioned online were vague, such as whether flex could also be easily adjusted or not. I am hardly a bootfitter.As for my going in for Strolz, well, I got fooled into buying a pair of crappy skiboots a few years back, which had, of all things, a plastic part at the back, thus preventing some additional necessary bootfitting.And I have also had several past skiing holidays ruined because my feet were being squeezed too tightly by the hired ski-boots I had rented, thus forcing me to come back at 12-1pm instead of the usual 4-5pm etc. Anyway, it seems that now I have the money, I might as well fix all the various problems I had in the past such as finding whiteouts very difficult to ski through etc.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd just ask your bro the ski instructor.

I still think you're a troll but Strolz will ask you everything they need - the rest of the world has very little exposure to Strolz boots either because they aren't primadonnas or are in the very very great majority that a totally custom boot is not necessary as a custom fit on a stock boot works fine.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Or if you are in the UK you could go to Glide and Slide who sell those boots and other brands. You will then get the best boot independent of brand.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@CromCruach, Amongst other things, the Strolz boots have a lovely plastic bit at the back which, as I understand it, does a lot to adjust flex/stiffness... Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@CromCruach, Glad to hear you have made a decision based on available wonga.

Just as @GlasgowCyclops, says ..... Check out Glide and Slide in Otley West Yorkshire. THE UK's distributor of all things Strolz will defo sort out foot/boot issues and the shop has a great coffee machine.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I know two people who have 'done the Strolz thing' in Lech and both are in love with their boots. The fact you can nip back into the shop while you are out there for minor adjustments is pretty handy. They just look a bit yesteryear though.

@CromCruach, just put yourself in their hands.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As said above, Strolz are very expensive and can be very nice boots indeed. BUT they are not a guaranteed 100% fit solution for everyone by any means (I speak from experience and a lot of pain and a ruined season). The G&S recommendation is therefore a good one: they can sort you out with Strolz if that's what you want and if they are suitable for your feet and your skiing needs. But if they aren't likley to be right for you, save the money and get another fitted pair which will be.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am right now in Vienna in Austria, about to ski in the Arlberg so will be going straight to the source in Lech.That said, thanks, I know some UKers who would appreciate the info re Glide and Slide.

Maybe these are stupid questions, but these "minor adjustments" that Strolz makes, I gather they are free and of a short duration? What I mean is, that, currently, I only ski 6 days a year, now, rather than the former 7-18 days a year, so I presume I would have to pay Strolz a bit extra for adjustments/repairs if I got them made next year or further?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I don't know much about Strolz, so I've just been looking at their USA website. The website says 'the vast majority of people don't need their shells stretching'. That makes me wonder if the vast majority of the time they are selling a generic shell and relying on a foamed liner to make it work? Doesn't sound very special to me? Like I said, I don't know much about them, so what can Strolz provide that a normal shop selling foamed liners can't?
ski holidays
"Well, if you don't shoot, you always miss". Whatever the case, if Strolz fails on me, then the next year's skiboots will be cheaper. The catch is that , in Vienna, there is not much else available of similiar quality. I think(?) Strolz stated that one could have very special, individual-sized ski-boots but that it would cost a bit more and take 10 further weeks, or something....
snow report
@Oceanic, I don't know about the Lech ones, nor am I up to date on the full boot range, but when I tried a custom-made Strolz boot my feeling was that it was a pretty standard shell size on the foot, mated with different cuff heights/sizes and some various means of adjusting flex, maybe forward lean, stiffness etc.
The foam-injected liner should be the real custom fit bit, both in terms of being foam moulded but also, I believe, bring made as a one-off liner for each person. However for me, with slim feet, the shell was way too big in various places (despite the promised bit about them bring made to a precise last of your feet) and the liner wasn't able to be foamed (or foamed enough) in the right places for me, and was over-foamed to try and reduce the volume issue.
Most painful boot experience I've ever had Sad - but I can also appreciate that for the right feet they could be very nice.
latest report
The Strolz shop in Lech has a pretty comprehensive range of other boots as well as their own foam-injected range. They should be able to fit you up with whatever suits your feet best, but they won't be a cheap option whatever you end up with. Their top rental skis cost more for one week than my Head Titans cost me to buy outright!
latest report
Well, I checked the strolz schi-verleih and I found some off-piste-oriented skis(10mm width) which were fine for me. Granted, if I had bought the 7-star skis instead of 5-star skis, I would have had to pay quite a sum, but 216 euros for 6 days plus theft-/loss-etc. insurance seems OK to me.
ski holidays
I haven't spent 216 euros on my last few pairs of skis. And I have some quality skis albeit secondhand.
latest report
CromCruach wrote:
Well, I checked the strolz schi-verleih and I found some off-piste-oriented skis(10mm width) which were fine for me. Granted, if I had bought the 7-star skis instead of 5-star skis, I would have had to pay quite a sum, but 216 euros for 6 days plus theft-/loss-etc. insurance seems OK to me.

10mm width seems very narrow.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 13-02-18 0:34; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Well, the last 4-star skis I hired were OKish, but cost only 162ish euros, and were definitely not off-piste-oriented, being very narrow etc. If I wanted new, very good skis I would have to pay c.300 euors+, and also have to lug them from home to ski-resort..., more if they were off-piste-oriented....
snow report
@CromCruach We all have out own attitude to finances and money. You seem to be happy with the up-market suppliers and that's fine. However, I think that paying 216 or more Euros for even one week a year does not make financial sense as opposed to paying maybe 300-400 Euros for a good brand new pair of skis (whether piste or all mountain or off piste) which you own and can get to know how to ski well and can "lug around" for probably about 45 Euros a trip (and that's flying from UK not driving, which costs nothing bar a bit of arm muscle - or, in my case, tipping the Butler). Or buy good second hand skis (presumably the hire shops sell off their ex-rentals?) and have 2 or 3 pairs of your own to choose from.

Actually, 300 Euros for your "new, very good skis" is a bargain - what skis and where from? I want some at that price!

p.s. I wouldn't recommend 10mms for off piste either Cool I wonder what their "definitely not off-piste.. very narrow" come out at?
snow report
Grizzler wrote:
@CromCruach
Actually, 300 Euros for your "new, very good skis" is a bargain - what skis and where from? I want some at that price!

Ive bought most of my skis new and haven't paid more than €300. I have actually paid a lot less than that for some very good skis (all new). German eBay is a great place. I paid £220 for a set of brand new 192 Dynastar Legend Pro 105's from a few seasons ago, I also picked up some Scott Punisher 189's from Ski Bartlett for £167 new.

Same with bindings, brand new Peak 14's, £35, New S914's £40, New SPX 15's £65. Have to be ready to bargain hunt in the summer.
snow report
I have owned a pair of Stroltz boots for ten years and they were by far the best boots ever for me. I've just replaced them with Lange XT. Not a patch on the Stroltz. They do look a little basic but its the fit that important so go there and see whats on offer. If I get the chance I will go back to Lech and get another pair.
snow report
@lordf, why do they never have what I want Sad
snow report
Bought a pair in 2007 and loved them. At that point they had black boots with regular flex and red ones with stiffer flex (you’ll see a lot of the instructors with red ones). Only replaced them at the end of last season as the liner had packed in a bit- ie could not get them tight enough come the afternoon. I used slide and glide for replacementtoe/heel pieces and service was excellent.
Would recommend them to anyone
snow conditions
Grizzler wrote:
@lordf, why do they never have what I want Sad

Guess I'm lucky in that I'm a tall bug who loves skis with the turn radius of a battleship... The Dynastars were nick named Maggie because much like the lady they were not for turning...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@lordf, The German Ebayer "SkiBilek" was a great source of bargain priced ski kit. Such a pity he stopped trading. Still some great deals to be found with the Austrian/German dealers on Ebay.
ski holidays
I, of course, meant to write "100mm" width, but did not check it over before posting. I got the impression that that was a normal width for going off-piste? Hmm, the cost of hiring skis is clearly vast in Lech. I suppose I could buy a new pair of skis for future years.I would be spending the same on transport costs with or without skis, anyway, as the train offers a house to house delivery system for suitcases and skis, with 3 items allowed per person.
snow report
Well powder mag a few years ago declared 108mm to be the ideal width for all mountain. So now you know😉
ski holidays
Old Man Of Lech wrote:
I have owned a pair of Stroltz boots for ten years and they were by far the best boots ever for me. I've just replaced them with Lange XT. Not a patch on the Stroltz. They do look a little basic but its the fit that important so go there and see whats on offer. If I get the chance I will go back to Lech and get another pair.
I had a pair of Strolz boots for about eighteen years. Wonderful. Only recently replaced by a pair of also wonderful boots from Martina Ertl's shop in Munich. Close call to say which are better.
snow conditions
essex wrote:
Well powder mag a few years ago declared 108mm to be the ideal width for all mountain. So now you know😉
What utter tosh! 108mm is the width I would choose for skiing chin deep champagne powder, which we basically never see in Europe. I have just spent the last few days skiing knee deep pow on my 81mm RTMs, no complaints here. I might consider going back to using Mantras, but they are now also coming in at 100mm. What for?
ski holidays
Well it takes all kinds you know, I usually am on 106 as an all rounder but go bigger for real deep days.
I actually agree with the article.
snow report
It is all about technique some are able to use sub 90mm on everything others aren't.

88mm does me for everything from short icy turns to 600mm powder, and pond skimming...
ski holidays
@CromCruach, did you get the boots?
snow report
I will be going to Lech in a few weeks and will get it done then, Have already arranged the appointment.I reckon I will likely prefer the black version, though...
snow conditions
Bob wrote:
It is all about technique some are able to use sub 90mm on everything others aren't.

88mm does me for everything from short icy turns to 600mm powder, and pond skimming...

Likewise, some are comfortable getting a 115 over on its edge on piste. Like my preachers at Glencoe the other day. Mind you, I've also just bought a set of 95's for next week Happy
latest report
@Steilhang, Mantras a shade skinnier for next season...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy