Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter Olympics 2018 - Pyeongchang

Poster: A snowHead
Feels like the Olympics has really kicked up a gear or two over the last day or so - great run by Shaun White, Elise Christie crashing out and in tears, and controversy over whether the Brits are wearing illegal suits in the luge/skeleton.

Nine medal events in total to be won on day 6, including the men’s downhill and women’s giant slalom.

00:30-02:15 & 04:15-06:05: Alpine skiing - women's giant slalom
01:30-04:55: Figure skating - pairs free skating
02:00-04:05: Alpine skiing - men's downhill
04:30-06:00: Snowboarding - men's snowboard cross finals
06:30-08:15: Cross country skiing - women's 10km free
0815-1010: Biathlon - women's 15km individual
11:00-13:00: Biathlon - men's 20km individual
11:00-13:10: Speed skating - men's 10,000m final
12:30-13:45: Luge - team relay
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What is it with the snowboarder dudes, the seem to be allowed to be plugged into their tunes when competing? I assume they are only listening to musak and not getting any coaching advice.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

http://youtube.com/v/W9pEvCWoOzU

No skin suits or headphones here.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
eddiethebus wrote:
snow_badger wrote:
Fab run by Shaun White. Interesting/Baffled to see some of the comments on social media by people getting their knickers in a twist about the fact he let the American Flag tough the floor rolling eyes

he's delusional if he thinks he can make the 2020 olympics with skating though lol

I thought that, but I just stumbled across vids of him taking xgames gold in the skateboarding halfpipe a few years ago!

http://youtube.com/v/9Wwi3E1hrVk

He's clearly got the talent still, but lets see if he can stave off aging for a couple more years
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Watching the downhill... what on earth happened to the middle of the mountain after Jansrud's run? Every significant competitor since has lost almost a second between intermediate 3 and 4 Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just signed that @colinstone - I think it's coming in next time around isn't it?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@dave of the marmottes - did you hear your mention yesterday?
https://soundcloud.com/knowledge-is-powder-ski-podcast/daily-winter-olympic-special-day-5

And here's today's pod:
https://soundcloud.com/knowledge-is-powder-ski-podcast/day-6-winter-olympic-update

As you will tell, I'm really disappointed the BBC put the Snowboard Cross on the red button, this event is so much better than pretty much anything else!

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 15-02-18 10:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Womens biathlon is captivating. Watching them reax their breathing as they shoot, unbelievable skills to go from one extreme to another.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@iainm, No, its not in for 2022. Womens Nordic combined is in. Big Air skiing and mixed team ski jumping are probably in too.

Potentially SEVEN new luge events including a 'natural' track version Shocked , and an Ice hockey-esque thing called Bandy is being considered as an exhibition.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Frosty the Snowman, not just breathing. We once met (at a wedding of all places) a woman on the Latvian Olympic team. She said they are trained to shoot between heartbeats.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tight finish in the Biathlon coming up.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hanna Öberg, has the most wonderful smile.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I haven't been following the winter olympics very closely. Purely a personal opinion, but I am beginning to feel that there are far too many rather contrived 'style' events (moguls, halfpipes, aerials, slopestyle, ice dancing, mixed noc(?)etc.) The moguls in particular just look rather daft - bouncing down perfectly formed moguls with a couple of rather limp jumps thrown in). I'd rather see a few more events happening 'in the real world' and fewer in these 100% artificial environments.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

http://youtube.com/v/cty1l9kWAOc
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@foxtrotzulu, Quite right - about time the Downhill events take place on an unprepared, public open piste. Clock starts when they get off the lift with the ski school, finish line is clocking their liftpass back through the barriers after negotiating the queue...
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
@foxtrotzulu, Quite right - about time the Downhill events take place on an unprepared, public open piste. Clock starts when they get off the lift with the ski school, finish line is clocking their liftpass back through the barriers after negotiating the queue...

I'd actually love to see that, maybe not in the olympics though. Just imagining the crowd all in the ski lift queue trying to get out the way of their favourites while blocking others
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
I haven't been following the winter olympics very closely. Purely a personal opinion, but I am beginning to feel that there are far too many rather contrived 'style' events (moguls, halfpipes, aerials, slopestyle, ice dancing, mixed noc(?)etc.) The moguls in particular just look rather daft - bouncing down perfectly formed moguls with a couple of rather limp jumps thrown in). I'd rather see a few more events happening 'in the real world' and fewer in these 100% artificial environments.

Well that is no Winter Olympics you can watch because nothing is in an entirely natural environment. Watch FWT if you want "natural" competition (& yes it is judged).

Most contrived sport IMO is doubles luge - at what point in their development does an athlete think "I know I'll dedicate myself to dressing in skintight bodysuit and lying on another man in an entirely non-sexual way"

Aerials should however be binned entirely superceded by more real world big air and slopestyle etc.
snow report
And who would opt to be the one underneath?
snow conditions
@Dave of the Marmottes,
Quote:

Well that is no Winter Olympics you can watch because nothing is in an entirely natural environment. Watch FWT if you want "natural" competition (& yes it is judged).

I didn't say there wouldn't be any style events and I didn't say they should all be in a natural environment, just that the balance feels wrong to me. I think luge/bobsleigh is a pretty good event although we could probably do without the doubles luge as you suggest. It may be non-natural but at least it's not a style event. I'd ditch the aerials and moguls, they look very dated, and reduce the slopestyle/half-pipe stuff. I'm not a great fan of 'tricks' being Olympic events. They are all just evolutions of the dreaded ski-ballet stuff of the 80's. I'd slim down the skating/short track programme. Maybe add Telemark or an 'Inferno' type event.
ski holidays
Maybe Beijing will bring us a legit Chinese Downhill (though the term might not pass PC).

Moguls are legit - they are madskillz and at least relatable to the punter ac tivity.

The modern freestyle disciplines are pluses rather than minuses for the overall games - It's mindblowing stuff the average viewer doesn't get to see outside of Olympics. Short track is demo derby, Long track is the velodrome, XC outside of the bonkers sprints is middle and long distance running. Curling is darts the overall balance is fine.
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
The whole flag ceremony/ flag code is interesting - basically a device to unite a disparate body of states and cultures and appropriated militarily and politically at every opportunity. I always think there is some basic insecurity at its heart that being American is not enough and kids/citizens need to be reminded on a daily basis - perhaps understandable given the civil war wasn't that long ago.

A friend of a friend spent a year in the US while at school and was dragged to the principal's office every day of the school year because he refused to pledge allegiance to the US flag. He pointed out that as a UK citizen he couldn't pledge allegiance to a foreign flag, but that apparently cut no ice
ski holidays
@Richard_Sideways,

http://youtube.com/v/xeww_TtIdVQ
ski holidays
eng_ch wrote:

A friend of a friend spent a year in the US while at school and was dragged to the principal's office every day of the school year because he refused to pledge allegiance to the US flag. He pointed out that as a UK citizen he couldn't pledge allegiance to a foreign flag, but that apparently cut no ice

A bit like my expat British friends who were asked by bright eyed colleagues "Are you celebrating Independence Day?" to which they responded "You do know who was independence from?". In hindsight maybe they should have said "damn straight we don't need your mess as well as our own"
latest report
moosepig wrote:
Watching the downhill... what on earth happened to the middle of the mountain after Jansrud's run? Every significant competitor since has lost almost a second between intermediate 3 and 4 Puzzled

I think it was just that Svindal had a poor start and made up a lot of time lower down. I think Jansrud was next on the hill and was quicker but made one mistake, after that no one could get close to the time Svindal had done after the first few splits
snow report
Watching the Men's Bordercross for the second time today.

TOTALLY BONKERS while being compulsive viewing.

The start requiring a 3m drop-in rather sets the scene.
snow report
We all love the boardercross in the J family!

As we tell the kids, the race doesn't always go to the fastest, or to the most stylish, but the person who takes a knock and gets up again stands a good chance.

Bit who cares about the life lesson, boardercross is cool!
ski holidays
Catching up with the snowboard cross. Cam Bolton is a lunatic, can't believe he put himself through that for only the small final Shocked
snow conditions
First medal for team GB finally on the board!!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Always amazed at how snowboarding 'dropped the ball' so-to-speak with boardercross. When it blew up at the xgames back in the mid to late 90s it was massive, yet the snowboarding media never identified with it (even Ed Leigh on the commentary has a sly dig at its racing nature every now and then) Now its not even in winter x any more, the world tour is fairly low key, and the olympics are the only major exposure the sport gets. Its really a pity as the riders wear soft boots and strap bindings, dont wear cat-suits, and go really, really big whilst riding like most sniwboarders do, as in not some sort of bastardised gymnastic display like half pipe has become. Plus most resorts have some kind of scaled down track that you can ride and imitate the riders on tv. Given how snowboarding has been dropping off in participation you'd think the powers that be would embrace it a bit more and make the most of the exposure.
ski holidays
moosepig wrote:

Wind picked up after Jansrud. Pretty much everyone came with 6-9km/h less speed into bottom section, so basically no chance to do anything with conditions like this.
ski holidays
I can't understand why the BBC don't push snowboard cross up the rankings. Never live, always red button or catch up...
snow conditions
On the other hand, curling just got better

http://youtube.com/v/O4pv-WXi0VE

BTW day 7 of the winter olympics podcast is live now: https://soundcloud.com/knowledge-is-powder-ski-podcast/daily-winter-olympic-special-day-7
ski holidays
Lots of action for Saturday, the BBC even mention the possibility for tomorrow being the Winter Olympics equivalent of Super Saturday for the brits with several potential medals including Lizzie Yarnold and Elise Christie up for medals.

Nine medal events in total....

01:00-05:25: Figure skating - men's single free skating
02:00-03:55: Alpine skiing - women's super-G
04:00-05:35: Freestyle skiing - women's ski slopestyle finals
09:30-10:45: Cross country skiing - women's 4x5km relay
10:00-12:11: Short-track speed skating - Women's 1500m final
10:00-12:55: Short-track speed skating - men's 1,000m final
11:15-12:10: Biathlon - women's 12.5km mass start
11:20-13:40: Skeleton - women's final heats
12:30-14:15: Ski jumping - men's large hill individual final
ski holidays
Can't wait for the men's ski slope style
snow conditions
Snowboard World Cup parallel world champion Ester Ledecka of the Czech Republic, who is the first athlete to compete in two different sports at an Olympic Winter Games amazed everyone (including herself) by winning the Ladies Super G!. Fantastic result, especially bearing in mind she has never won a World Cup podium position in Alpine skiing. Shocked Very Happy

Here's Graham Bell's reaction to this: https://www.facebook.com/GrahamBellSkier/videos/1756989644354038/?hc_ref=ARTTjcAq3BUGJelpGRHTd5iR0ZvqwubSPV7ZCugho-MjFW2EgT-uUPQZ9Akgpm4hdPY

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 17-02-18 9:27; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Alastair Pink wrote:
Snowboard World Cup parallel world champion Ester Ledecka of the Czech Republic, who is the first athlete to compete in two different sports at an Olympic Winter Games amazed everyone (including herself) by winning the Ladies Super G!. Fantastic result, especiallly bearing in mind she has never won a World Cup podium position in Alpine skiing. Shocked Very Happy

Here's Graham Bell's reaction to this: https://www.facebook.com/GrahamBellSkier/videos/1756989644354038/?hc_ref=ARTTjcAq3BUGJelpGRHTd5iR0ZvqwubSPV7ZCugho-MjFW2EgT-uUPQZ9Akgpm4hdPY

Her snowboard team's reaction

https://www.facebook.com/usskiandsnowboard/videos/542041439528002/
ski holidays
Bennisboy wrote:
Alastair Pink wrote:
Snowboard World Cup parallel world champion Ester Ledecka of the Czech Republic, who is the first athlete to compete in two different sports at an Olympic Winter Games amazed everyone (including herself) by winning the Ladies Super G!. Fantastic result, especiallly bearing in mind she has never won a World Cup podium position in Alpine skiing. Shocked Very Happy

Her snowboard team's reaction

https://www.facebook.com/usskiandsnowboard/videos/542041439528002/

Actually that was the US snowboard team's reaction, I imagine the Czech snowboard team were even more enthusiastic! wink

P.S Apparently she was skiing on borrowed skis! Shocked
snow conditions
Personally I find her reaction at the end the icing on the cake Very Happy

Her complete bewilderment of what she's just done/achieved and not fully realising it, and even hearing her say "surely it's some mistake?" Very Happy

Apparently she borrowed the skis from Mikaela Shiffrin.
latest report
@Izzop, yeah get reaction is priceless, just complete bewilderment
snow report
Izzop wrote:
Apparently she borrowed the skis from Mikaela Shiffrin.

Mikaela Shiffrin's ski tech needs a serious pay rise!

Fab reaction and fab result (although gutted for Lara)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy