Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter Olympics 2018 - Pyeongchang

Poster: A snowHead
I know there are a few other threads regarding the Winter Olympics, such as the 'Olympic Predictions' thread in Snowsports (see below), but I thought the Winter Olympics was such a big event that it deserved a thread of it's own (feel free to disagree!) and to have a central place for all the more general chit-chat regarding the event.

Olympic Predictions thread:
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=135435

As a starter to 10, the BBC have written an interesting article on the temperatures that they are expecting during the games:

- Factoring in windchill, temperatures could get down to as low as -25C, which could make it the coldest games on record (following the almost tropical temperatures of Sochi)
- Despite the cold weather, Pyeongchang doesn't actually get huge amounts of snow so large amounts of artifical snow could be produced.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/42885124

There's also been a few interesting comments on the effect of severe cold weather on the competitors skis:

"One of the coaches said they are throwing the skis out after today," said ski course technician Craig Randell, overseeing practice on Wednesday. "You can't do anything about it, but with the cold temperatures the snow adheres to the ski base and twists it.

"They are turning their skis to garbage real fast."

Austrian alpine skier Marcel Hirscher added: "Snow crystals get really sharp when temperatures go to -20C. It's the same as lighting a fire and burning your ski base because the snow crystals get such sharp edges."

Also, in other news.. a day after fracturing her wrist British snowboarder Katie Ormerod has now had a scan on her leg after another crash in training. It's still unclear how serious it is.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Any athletes following the Norwegians out of the gate might want to investing a face mask too. Due to a translation problem, their cooks ordered 15,000 eggs rather than 1,500.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Any athletes following the Norwegians out of the gate might want to investing a face mask too. Due to a translation problem, their cooks ordered 15,000 eggs rather than 1,500.

Yikes!! They'll be having some seriously big breakfasts for a few weeks!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
"...British snowboarder Katie Ormerod has now had a scan on her leg after another crash in training. It's still unclear how serious it is...."

Turns out to be serious. Sadly, she has had to withdraw : Such a shame, after all that training

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/42993893
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rotten news for Katie and TeamGB - she was a real contender in slopestyle and Big Air... Sad

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 8-02-18 17:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
EDIT: Sorry, just seen @albob post!

Katie Ormerod has now been ruled out of the Olympics with a fractured heal - completely gutting for her but at least she has age on her side (as a small positive)

snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
albob wrote:
"...British snowboarder Katie Ormerod has now had a scan on her leg after another crash in training. It's still unclear how serious it is...."

Turns out to be serious. Sadly, she has had to withdraw : Such a shame, after all that training

Just saw and was about to post the BBC link.

Indeed, a great shame for her and the team as a whole.

Must be a hard thing to come to terms with, considering you've actually put in all the preparation and training, only for it to happen at the site and a day away from the opening. Would test the resolve of many, I'm sure.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 8-02-18 17:19; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Rotten news for Katie and TeamGB - she was a real contender in slopestyle and Big Air... Sad

Completely agree, she was looking really good after her X Games performance..
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Handy Turnip wrote:
Richard_Sideways wrote:

Completely agree, she was looking really good after her X Games performance..

They interviewed her on the last ski sunday, seemed like a really nice person, massive shame
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Handy Turnip, and some folks are saying the cold temps make it more like skiing on plastic, which could be a big benefit for dave ryding.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Its too cold
There is hardly any real snow
The Alpine races are in the early hours of the morning across Europe
Pyeongchang is the Winter Olympics version of the football World Cup in Qatar
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ansta1, fingers crossed that’s the case!!! I seem to remember Chemmy Alcott mentioning that the conditions could suit Dave. Be amazing if he could sneak on the podium.

Apparently high winds are due for men’s downhill on Sunday!

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics-2018-weather-report-high-winds-could-force-men-s-downhill-skiing-to-be-cancelled-a3761386.html
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The opening ceremony is now on in case anyone wanted to catch it. I watched a few seconds on a Korean group singing 'Imagine' and that was enough for me.

Huge respect for those mogul skiers... incredible skiing!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/43001830

And not so incredible.. (but still better than me!!!!)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/43000258
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've set up at tipping pool on Superbru shared with Pugski so you can beat those peaky Merikins at something

Fun only - really simple to get the hang of. you can't configure exact events so will have to depend on everyone only tipping in my defined categories. Cheats will be named and shamed.

Please just pick the first person on the list alphabetically for all non qualifying events otherwise it won't let you save your picks and that should even out)

Alpine Skiing
Freestyle Skiing
All Snowboarding
Hockey (just cos I like Hockey)

https://www.superbru.com/wintergames/pool.php?p=11803836

Pool name: Snowheads - Pugski

Pool code: slimdoer

So as 10 Feb is all non qualifying events your picks should be Braisaz, Dahl Johansen, Ammann, Blondin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I was listening to an interview with Billy Morgan last week and he was clearly worried about the impact of landing on hard, cold artificial snow. A week later and there's two athletes out already, just from practice. Sure, could have happened anyway, but it's bound to affect some performances...
latest report
@iainm, interesting.. I didn't think about the possibility of the artifical snow contributing to injuries..
snow report
By the way, how fit is this OAR female curler!?
ski holidays
And so it all begins.... early start anyone?

Medal events:

07:15-08:20: Cross country skiing - women's 7.5km + 7.5km skiathlon
10:00-13:00: Short-track speed skating - men's 1500m
11:00-12:50: Long-track speed skating - women's 3,000m
11:15-12:45: Biathlon - women's 7.5km sprint
12:35-14:20: Ski jumping - men's normal hill individual final

Also Jamie Nichols and Billy Morgan in the snowboard slopestyle qualification in the early hours, and Elise Christie kicks off in the heats in the 500m speed skating.
latest report
@Handy Turnip, I think Dave has an advantage on artificial snow but he's not really on form at the minute. I think he's an outside chance of a medal, but it'll be a topsy turvey result.

Just watched Graham Bell's run on the downhill course, definitely one for those that can glide rather than the strong and powerful.

@Dave of the Marmottes, I've joined but I don't fully understand...have done today's picks and assume that tomorrow's will be Men's DH and the slopestyle? Then alphabetical picks for the other two?
ski holidays
@SnoodlesMcFlude,

Yep you got it

the problem is it lists all the medal events so you need to pick someone for each but as we are focused on snowsports if everyone just picks first alphabetically for the rest everyone should end with equal points from fig skating, speed skate XC, sweeping etc. I allow Ice Hockey because its fun and only 2 medals at the end of the games.
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, nice. Quite happy with ice hockey...although as a Leafs fan I don't know too much about it Laughing
snow report
Things I have got time for.. Curling, speed skating (winters version of the velodrome), biathlon, ski jumping, bobsleigh.
Things I have no time for... Figure skating, big air/ half pipe etc. Anything that involves a judge giving marks to a gymnast on skis/board, bobsleigh variations.
Things I love.... Timed races.... The real blue riband events, and Skier X and Boarder X.
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, think I have joined??
snow report
Yep
snow report
So take it we have no picks to make??
snow conditions
@handy turnip - it's bound to be in their mind. re Dave Ryding, he definitely prefers a hard track, will definitely help, rather than hinder, his confidence

BTW we've just recorded what we hope will be a daily Olympics podcast (until the IOC close us down) - short and sweet at 10mins long: https://soundcloud.com/knowledge-is-powder-ski-podcast/daily-winter-olympic-special-day-1
snow report
Skrnsson takes gold in Uphill Nordic Skjord
snow report
The Japan/Sweden game in the women’s hockey was pretty good, although it’s weird seeing hockey on a giant rink and with no hits.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Alastair, Very Happy
latest report
@SnoodlesMcFlude, @iainm, fingers crossed, Dave has showed before he’s capable of pulling out a winning run, he just lacks consistency. If everything comes together who knows what’s possible!!!
latest report
Seven medals up for grabs on day 2 including the men’s downhill in the early hours...

01:00-02:45: Snowboard - men's slopestyle
02:00-04:05: Alpine skiing - men's downhill
06:15-08:10: Cross country skiing - men's 15km + 15km skiathlon
07:00-09:15: Speed skating - men's 5,000m final
09:50-12:35: Luge - men's final runs
10:30-11:00 & 12:00-14:30: Moguls - women's final
11:15-12:55: Biathlon - men's 10km sprint
latest report
Been watching this on the NBC sports olympics app on Apple TV - really good way of keeping up with things.

Got a kiwi in the mens slopestyle finals Very Happy
latest report
DH postponed because of high winds Sad
snow report
Got a bit excited; just turned on TV to find Andrew Musgrave in 2nd in the cross country with 3.5km to go. He immediately dropped to 7th
Sad

I don't think he was expected to get a medal so well done on a 7th place finish. Toofy Grin
snow report
@halfhand, his favoured 15k event is on Friday - the fact he did so well today bodes well for that event, where he has a real chance of a medal.
ski holidays
Kramer

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/962612353962512384@dode,
latest report
Day 2 Podcast now live... Very Happy
https://soundcloud.com/knowledge-is-powder-ski-podcast/daily-winter-olympic-special-day-2

Be careful about turning on 'Dancing on Ice' and getting confused with the Olympics... wink
latest report
iainm wrote:
Day 2 Podcast now live... Very Happy
https://soundcloud.com/knowledge-is-powder-ski-podcast/daily-winter-olympic-special-day-2

Be careful about turning on 'Dancing on Ice' and getting confused with the Olympics... wink
Definitely prefer Holly W over Claire Balding (however good she is as a commentator) !
snow conditions
dode wrote:
Things I have got time for.. Curling, speed skating (winters version of the velodrome), biathlon, ski jumping, bobsleigh.
Things I have no time for... Figure skating, big air/ half pipe etc. Anything that involves a judge giving marks to a gymnast on skis/board, bobsleigh variations.
Things I love.... Timed races.... The real blue riband events, and Skier X and Boarder X.

Completely agree.

The OAR have thus far been referred to simply as 'the cheats' in our house. Probably unfair to some but the whole thing stinks tbh.
snow conditions
Day 3 and eight medal events, including the women’s giant slalom with Mikaela Shiffrin. Aimee Fuller is also in the women’s slopestyle in the early hours too.

01:15-02:55 & 04:45-06:35: Alpine skiing - women's giant slalom
10:10-11:00: Biathlon - women's 10km pursuit
12:00-12:55: Biathlon - men's 12.5km pursuit
01:00-04:25: Figure skating - Team event conclusion
10:30-11:00 & 12:00-13:40: Freestyle skiing - men's moguls
12:50-14:20: Ski jumping - women's normal hill individual final
01:00-02:45: Snowboarding - women's slopestyle
12:30-14:10: Speed skating - women's 1500m
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy