Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rental sell off

Poster: A snowHead
When do rental shops normally start selling their stock off, going out next week and son needs new ski's due to growth. Just wondering if I could pick him up a cheap pair of ex rentals.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
End of the season here, so not for another 7 or 8 weeks.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Saw some decent looking ex rental Titans for sale in La Thuile last week for not many euros. Was a bit tempted but didn't really have the weight allowance. As it happens I'm still waiting on the skis I took with me to arrive back home so I'm pleased I'm not waiting on an extra pair too.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Jonny996, see if there’s a FB buy and sell group in the resort you’re going to. Plenty of 2nd hand skis going on the Verbier and Chamonix one’s and typically better than ex-rental’s which will have taken miles more abuse than most privately owned skis.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some shops sell them all season.
Lanches in Thonon have stuff the whole time.
Ardent Sports ( Montriond ) normally start in March.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@WindOfChange, There's a "Lanches" in Ville-La-Grand (Annemasse) which is much less out of the way than Thonon.

Any ex-rentals I've noticed on the racks in Chamonix are ex-rental for good reason and not cheap...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, Depends where you are Smile
I drive through Thonon twice a day on my way to Switzerland and back.
I have only been to the Annemasse Lanches once, pre-season so I was not sure if they sold ex-rental stuff the whole time, or just pre / post season.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Jonny996,

I would ask in the shop when you rent whether they would be willing to sell you the skis if your son likes them. If they are brand new this season they may not be interested but if they are last seasons model then I think they will very likely cut you an attractive deal. They do like to keep the stock turning over. I've had success doing this with boots.

If you wait until later in the season, then don't feel restricted by what they put in the sale rack. Just go in and tell them what you are looking for they may well pull something out of the rental rack to sell you.

BTW - how old/big is your son?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just as aside to this, is it correct that rental skis are made with a thicker base so although they have had many weeks use, they can stand more base grinds etc. to bring them, or the bases at least, back to new ? Apart from picking a hole in the base then, is there an easy way of checking what base is left ? From the side rails somehow ? Just interested.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@jedster, He's your typical 14 year old second row, 5'11" & 78Kg but thing is he is a nervous skier, he loves it but is happy sticking to blues. This probably was not helped by the fact I stuck him on Race Tigers, so I am looking for a more beginner friendly ski for him.
I'm seriously tempted to get him the 130 euro Wed'ez beginner ski, it is aimed at what he does & he's had the raw end of the deal with the little faster brother getting the right stuff.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@WindOfChange, I am assuming Edinburgh-St Gervais...and not a route through Thonon (although I concede it is possible).

Don't know but looks like they have a bourse aux skis en permanence http://ville-la-grand.lanches.fr/vente-skis-materiel-sport-hiver/
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Jonny996, Make them an offer if you like the skis, you might be surprised.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@under a new name, after doing the Edinburgh - St Gervais drive 4 times last year, its beginning to feel like I have driven trough every French town Sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, I was using iOS6 Maps and Siri told me to stop and ask for directions.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Jonny996, hah.

I'm just thinking, @5'11", 78kgs, that's adult skis. I would put good money on him overpowering the Wed'zes. I'm also not convinced junior Racetigers were too much for him...not even if they were "proper" race ones.

My inclination, if logistics allow, would be to pop in to Lanches see what they have and what they'd recommend. It's only a 15 min detour from the autoroute as you pass Annemasse (well, unless it's rush hour). A decent adult intermediate piste ski would seem more appropriate to me at his height and weight.

Could technique be an issue with nervousness as he doesn't sound like the nervous type?
ski holidays
Quote:

I'm just thinking, @5'11", 78kgs, that's adult skis. I would put good money on him overpowering the Wed'zes. I'm also not convinced junior Racetigers were too much for him...not even if they were "proper" race ones.

It's all technique/commitment isn't it?

race skis need a bit of speed and edge angle. Appreciate there is a difference between kids skis dressed up as race skis and kids race skis and both could say racetiger on them!

Clearly he should be on adult skis but it sounds like he could do with something that is friendly in pivoted turns at lower speeds.

I'm getting rid of a couple of pairs of kids skis and as we will be just up the road next week I just wondered... but he's too much of a strapping lad!

I'd have thought bog standard rental stock would be fine for now?

On price - I've only ever paid around 80-100 Euro for ex-rentals and that's been for upper range skis. They have been well used but when the kids are going to grow out of them after 3 weeks use that is a non-issue.
ski holidays
I saw an ex-rental pair of 2017 Blizzard Cochise 185/108 with Marker Griffons for sale in La Clusaz last weekend for 230 Euro.

I was very tempted but would have had excess baggage to contend with........
latest report
@jedster, yep.

Looking at the current Volkl lineup, 160 suggests painted to look like race skis. But who knows?

It's odd, anything I've noticed in Cham has been well beaten up, expensive or both. Not something I make a point of doing, must be admitted.
latest report
@jedster, Thanks for thinking off that option@under a new name, I take on your advise about over powering the Wed'ez & yes I would say the nervs comes from technique but as with teenagers he wont do lessons!!!
I think @jedster, is correct in that ex rentals will do him for a couple of years & if nothing else we can just leave them in the cave for friends to use when they come over. I've seen this shop https://freeglisse.com/ that sells ex rentals for what seems reasonable prices, I am thinking 170 Rossignol experience 75 or Purist 400, both are 2016 models & only 109/99 euro's.
snow report
just as an update, went to freeglisse as above & it is a warehouse full of ex rental goodies, ended up getting boy a pair of 2016 Volkl Code 7.4. they were fully serviced & the soles & edges were perfect. for 85 Euro's
For anyone that drives I would seriously suggest you look at the site & compare the cost of hire against buying some ex rentals & taking home
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy