Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les gets - what to do and what not to do ...

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys

Off to Les Gets for half term, all very last minute !!

Any tips of places to go for lunch or things we should defo do, my 2 boys are brother beginners so will be a little restricted in what we can do skiing wise !

Thanks in advance.

Mackers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Mackers74, hope you have a lovely time here in Les Gets, we leave tomorrow for a few weeks to free up some space.
You will no doubt be spending a bit of time around the Chavannes area with your beginners and there are five, I think, places you can eat there. We tend to like the Croix Blanche, you can’t book just have to all be there for a table, the Grand Cry where you can book, the salads are delicious, and also the Altitude Lodge is the place for non-traditional dishes, so less cheese and potatoes.
One of our favourite spots is the Creperie Atray, at the bottom of the Atray lift, Morzine side.
For a really good lunch La Paika on the blue Vorosses run down to La Turche, can be a bit tricky to access first time round, you can end up too low and climbing up, and the lift is a poma.
At the top of the Rosta lift the R’ossitas (sp?) always popular.
In the village La Taniere is right by the bottom of the Chavannes lift and we have always had decent food there. And a bit further along slightly set back is the Creperie.
The Apres bar at the Belle Vue Hotel good spot.
No shortage of places to eat in Les Gets and on the slopes.
If you are eating out in the evening then I would suggest getting your bookings in early.

Look forward to hearing how you get on.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks @pamski I really appreciate these tips !!!

My boys (and I) are very excited !!!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just in case you fancy a picnic lunch. There is a picnic room in the Indian territory area. The easiest way to it for complete beginners is from the top of the magic carpet - there's a very gentle slope and a tow rope, which will get you all but the last few metres.
My kids love the hot chocolate and doughnuts in the Yeti cafe.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
List of what's on in Les Gets here
https://www.lesgets.com/organisez-et-reservez/animations.html
There is normally a pot de bienvenue early on a Monday evening with free Vin Chaud for the adults and hot chocolate and a torchlight descent by the ESF instructors.
Ice skating rink can be fun with kids.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you fancy something a little more high end for dinner, I really like La Pela, Les Copeaux as well as Le Becchus. Le Bacchus was a new discovery for me this trip. €45 for a five course dinner (amuse bouche, starter, main, cheese and dessert). the place lacked a little bit of atmospeher but the food was great. I suggest that you book in advance for any of those 3... I left trying to book Le Pela till the last minute and couldn't get a table last week. I also second the recommendation for La Taniere, always great pizza

On the skiing front, absolutely ski the Mt Chery side if the snow is looking good, you'll find it almost deserted and there are amazing reds off the front, back and sides of the hill. If you can't be bothered with the walk across town, there's the land train that runs every 10 mins or so and suttles between Chavannes and the Mt Chery stations. If you do ski Mt Chery, there's an amazing restaurant with stunning views called La Grand Ourse.

Another mountain restaurant that i like is Les Lhotties at the top of the Nauchets lift, there's a self serve\cafe side for quite bites as well as restaurant serving great tartiflette with cepps.

Depending how old your boys are? there's a small ice rink in the town centre, free with a lift pass as well as some electric snowmobiles under the Chavannes Express lift, that i reckon would be perfect for 5-6 yr olds.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mackers74 wrote:
...my 2 boys are brother beginners so will be a little restricted in what we can do skiing wise !

RichClark wrote:
On the skiing front, absolutely ski the Mt Chery side if the snow is looking good, you'll find it almost deserted and there are amazing reds off the front, back and sides of the hill....If you do ski Mt Chery, there's an amazing restaurant with stunning views called La Grand Ourse.

I'm not sure I'd recommend MC for a couple of beginners and I think there's only the 1 blue up there other than that. Of course if they pick it up well and are happy to try some reds I seem to remember then being quite wide and, as you say quiet so might be worth the trip at the end of the week.

And never mind the views last time I was able to get up there the restaurant had a dedicated hot chocolate menu!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Mjit, Fair point re: Mt Chery, I missed the beginner statement in the OP.

With that said, the OP may get the opportunity to ski by themselves while others are in lessons, also the reds aren't that challenging... nice, big and wide so may be suitable for the end of the week or a week 2-3 skier.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The black off the front is...challenging.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Can a pedestrian access La Grande Ourse? I have been up there a few times but going with a very very tentative skier, and just wondering if possible to go up on the chair and walk all the way down again?

Looking forward to a week in Les Gets too - regular visitor to PdS but have never stayed in LG.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not sure you’d get a ped up to Le G O as down a bit from chairlift
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mjit wrote:
The black off the front is...challenging.

I enjoyed it last week in fresh snow... great fun
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Rois1980, Its probably too far down from the chair, but i really think that a tentative skier could make it at a nice slow pace, it's a pretty tame red, virtually empty and nice and wide.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Rois1980, I don’t think they would let a pedestrian on the GO lift.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks all - I'll make it a target as a lunch stop on Day 3 when he's got his ski legs.
ski holidays
Thanks for all the additional tips..... ill try and get them higher up the mountain if i can.... my fear is one of them will "get it" and the other wont !!!

I wont worry too much it will just be great to be there with them !
snow report
Conditions are superb, we’re off home tomorrow but it’s been a fantastic week and sealed the dream of buying here so hopefully we will have all Xmas all hols and summer here aoon
snow report
@orange, glad you enjoyed it, feel free to get in touch if you want any help with buying out here, I work for an estate agency and can help with the process. Anyone else looking for Les Gets tips then dinner in L'as des Neiges is a must do. It's a new restaurant this year in Les Gets and is easily the best offering at the moment, great value as well.

Conditions are fab in Les Gets this year and although it's busy we're not fully booked out this week and still have some availability next week as well. Have a good trip back!
snow report
Echo L’as des Neiges recommendation. We haven’t actually been there ourselves yet, March beckons, but four lots of fairly discerning neighbours ha e all eaten there since it opened and have really enjoyed it.
latest report
@Pamski, you must. They do an entree and main in the evenings for 29€ but it's Piste Noir quality. They also do a chef's menu for 55€, 4 courses with 3 glasses of wine. I want to organise an evening there with squid lips in March, will let you know if I manage it Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy