Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Warm rooms/picnic rooms in La Thuile

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone know if there are any warm rooms/picnic rooms on the slopes in La Thuile where you can have a break and warm-up a little? I know there are plenty of cafes and restaurants, but my daughter gets cold easily and it would be nice to warm up a little without having to buy another hot chocolate.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just back from there on Sunday and I don't recall seeing any (although I wasn't particularly looking for them).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I can't remember any. The hot chocolate is very good value, mind you, in most places!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both. Any recommendations for pistes for vaguely competent red run skiers?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Recently in La Thuile (well, La Ros' with a couple of days over the border) don't recall any indoor picnic areas - but the weather was good enough to picnic in the 'wild'.
In years gone by, to help keep our daughter warm we always had the 'teabag' type hand warmers available for the colder days, tucked in the gloves or in extreme down the front of the fleece.
- and any excuse for a hot chocolate (or vin chaud Very Happy )
On the runs, I would say that most of their runs are fairly 'cruisey' with the odd steeper section and being Italy usually V well pisted, at least at the start of the day. the runs back down to the town are a bit steeper and narrower except for red7 which is the road and a bit flat, so take plenty of speed from the Roxy(bar) past the Maison de neige(eatery) its then nice and cruisey through the trees.
For the best snow (higher and N facing) we usually have skiied in the petit St bernardo section from the fourclaz and Pt St Bernado lifts reds 8 7 22 - if you fancy a bit more of a challenge black 23 or top/middle part of 25 (avoid the very bottom section and turn off onto red8) as these are usually wide and smoothly pisted and not so busy although a bit steeper. My wife, not the most confident of skiiers, actually prefers these to the busier reds.
In the main 'bowl' this year I really liked red 19a/18 (cafe in the middle of nowhere - with a nautical theme??) then a drop into a tree lined run to pick up the Arnouvaz lift.
(ps i don't have an encyclopedic knowledge, just looking at the piste map and re-living...)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't think I've ever come across a 'warm room/picnic room' anywhere (not that I've looked). Do they exist?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@foxtrotzulu, yeah, usually in smaller resorts. sometimes they also have vending machines. offhand - thollon, les deux alpes, arcalis
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@foxtrotzulu, yes, 'Salle hors sacs' have been around for years and some of them are getting posher. Over Christmas we used one in the bottom station of the Saulire Express gondola lift in Meribel. It had comfy sofas, tvs, microwaves, hotplates, fridges, wifi and decent bogs.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
I don't think I've ever come across a 'warm room/picnic room' anywhere (not that I've looked). Do they exist?

There is one in La Norma (used), Les Coches (converted the ice rink a couple of years back - not used yet), there is a new one above Courcheval 1650 which we used at Christmas, there was some sort of undercover at Les Contamines. Also a couple of semi sheltered ones above Courcheval 1850 and in Les Arcs iirc. There does seem to be some acknowledgement that picnicers need shelter sometimes!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Also one in Valfrejus underneath the main lift station / restaurant complex at the top of the main gondola. It even has mains sockets!

You have to look hard for them as they're never very well signposted.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

In the main 'bowl' this year I really liked red 19a/18 (cafe in the middle of nowhere - with a nautical theme??)

That'll be Offshore Bar, agreed that the runs around there are nice, cruisey, and usually fairly empty.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@dode, cool
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@dobby, there is one short steeper section, but as the piste is usually empty then it is easy to traverse down if needed. As @JonA, suggests getting on to the Arnouvaz lift will avoid taking red 6 (?) back to the village, it is in the shade and can stay icy for quite a while in the morning.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
foxtrotzulu wrote:

Most N american resorts have some kind of lodge with boiling water, microwaves, tap water, and free: cups, plastic cutlery, and napkins. Usually serve hot food too but taking in packed lunch is very accepted.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just noticed that the Val d’isere Piste map has one marked - have a look at the La Thuile map maybe?
latest report
@moseyp, I've had a quick look - cannot see anything. @dode, thx. I recall skiing red 6 many many years ago and it was like a half-pipe
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy