Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Half term drive down - live journey chit chat !

Poster: A snowHead
@Zorrac, so sorry to hear about your daughter. If there is anything that needs physically doing in Les Carroz (sitting on someone from ESF? Madeye-Smiley ) then just shout - we don't leave for the UK until the early hours of Sunday morning.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi
Do any of you guys travel from the North East of England or even Scotland? Just curious as to how far North you think it is viable to drive from for a weeks holiday? Although we have drove from Newcastle to Disney Paris a couple of times, the French Alps seem that much farther.

Oh and hi to all. First post!, I joined to ask a resort/ski school question about Zell am See (defo too far to drive!) but this post caught my eye first as I do generally enjoy driving. It's like an adventure physically linking your home and destination rather than "hopping" from one place to the next with no appreciation of the terrain and distance past over.

Cheers, enjoy your trips and safe driving!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Having a beer in Rosenheim after arriving at 2030, about 2 hours of delay in total.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We made it to BSM at 5pm after quite a leisurely days drive. The wether was perfect, clear blue skies and as we approached the alps the views were epic. We did a shop when we got here and have just been out for a pizza and beers. Now we are back in our campervan the heater is on and we are about to watch The Karate Kid as we are educating our two sons in the best 80’s movies.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Poindexter, we drive from Edinburgh but usually only for trips of 10days+. The Newcastle-Amsterdam ferry is great, an easy 1-day drive to many Austrian, Swiss, or NE French areas once you’re off the boat, makes it little different in time (albeit a little more ££) than for those in the Home Counties using the tunnel.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Poindexter, it all depends on how much time you want to take over it. Zell is about 10 hours from Calais if the roads are miraculously clear, but about 13 with typical traffic. Add 90 minutes for the tunnel, and then 6-8 hours to get there, and it’s a long journey but a bit of an adventure. Or drive to Hull, get the ferry to Zeebruge overnight, and then it’s about 8-11 hours from there.

No idea about France - but lots of people here can advise
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Trains now running 90mins late...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sj1608, Thank you, that is very kind, will see how they answer tomorrow, I just want to transfer the value of the lessons to easter, but if they won't I think I can claim on the season pass insurance? The travel insurance doesn't really cover it. Don't blame you coming back during the madness of half term, its is a bit of a shock after quiet pistes.

Thank you @Ghanny, and @endoman, hopefully she will get better soon, apparently she does not get this enough to warrant taking them out.

Only 1 good thing is I will not have to get up to get a 3.40am boat!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Poindexter, wouldn’t drive out for a week, but we do Glasgow to Tignes on regular basis, for 2 weeks or more. Out overnight on the Hull - Zeebrugge ferry, but back in a day (typically 22hrs) via Calais - Dover (1150 miles). Would come back via Zeebrugge - Hull, but as there is only one ferry a day it is too much of a risk to miss it.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Zorrac, bad luck but well done taking the right decision for daughter. I hope we are not too bad, our 9 yr old had cold symptoms for 2 days and this morning when we were about to leave she said her ear hurt. As she’s had about 12 000 ear infections already, we shot off to doc and got antibiotics and nasal sprays for the trip. Meanwhile I couldn’t find car insurance docs so emailed the broker who replied with scanned docs within an hour. So we left for Madrid 2 hours later than planned but have arrived and are now kipping at friends after a tasty local pizza. Night all, chocolate I churros for breakfast tomorrow Very Happy and Andorra tomorrow afternoon or evening hopefully without snow on th roads!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Poindexter, Edinburgh for me but if it's less than a week we fly unless apartment needs something taken over
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
UkuleleDave,

That would have given you time to clean a few fenetres while you waited... Toofy Grin

I'm pleased you managed to get sorted! Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Bergmeister, Very Happy Cheers.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@zorrac, ah nightmare. I hope your daughter feels better soon and you manage to sort all the insurance faff.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This morning's 5.30 alarm was less of a chore given I'd been awake since 3.45 after a car alarm went off on the car park.

Left Massieux, north of Lyon around 6.05. autoroute already has a reasonable amount of traffic but flowing well at the mo.

Roads currently clear, no sign of the snow forecast last night and this morning yet.
snow report
Phase two begins. TGV to Oulx as a special wedding anniversary treat. May have all the luggage this time. Smile
snow conditions
Checked and relaxing in a lounge at Heathrow. Having had a slightly more exciting run up than we would have liked, just as we get to the Camberly exit off the M3 we get a sign saying M25 exit closed! Eeks. Sat nav knew nothing about. Came off at Bracknell and ignored sat nav to take A30. Saving grace at 4:40 in the morning there was very little other traffic.
ski holidays
Heading for Samoëns. Left Reading 0500, now in Kent aiming for 0730Eurotunnel. Traffic good. Dawn starting. Nice to see snow kit on roof racks. I’ve got my board and my XC skis in an ancient 210cm ski bag. Lots of strapping down to avoid flapping.
snow report
Just arrived at eurotunnel for 720 am train. Easy drive down from London.
snow report
Light dusting of snow here in the 3V this morning, cloudy, nothing to bother traffic...can already see the headlights of the procession of vehicles going uphill/down as I made my morning cuppa...good luck to the half term travellers!
snow conditions
Arrived tunnel - 720 - it’s busy - sign says 2 Hr on site delay for high vehicles. Low vehicles no delay. Good call to ditch the roofbox...
ski holidays
Train currently just east of Chalon sûr saone and the fields have a nice coating of snow. The roads are clear though, even the little country lanes. The sun is about to come up and it's looking very pretty out there.
latest report
Queues already building between Lyon and Chambery - its going to be a long old day........ Downhil looks fine. Just a bit of light snow around Grenoble airport.
snow report
@Zorrac, this year's season pass insurance, which is with a different insurer, is much more comprehensive than last year's, based on a friend's experience. I think you need to register online as 'the insured' before you make a claim - they posted us (in the UK) a load of forms and we registered in early Dec. The key thing is that the claim has to go in very quickly, maybe within four or five days of the incident, so I guess she only got ill yesterday....... Don't forget you can claim a % of the season pass back, too.

If you need me to do anything just post here or PM me.

About 5cm of snow in Carroz village overnight, for those heading this way.
snow report
Looks like we’ll have a one train delay...
ski holidays
@Poindexter, For two week trips we drive and take our dog. Leave East Lothian Friday night & make it down to the M25 by Dartford Crossing. Up early, on a train about 08:30 and through to Portes du Soleil early evening.
latest report
Arrive at the tunnel 0715 and on the 0736 ready to role
snow report
Arrived at tunnel 630 and still in the que!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And just pulling off now
snow conditions
Left our hotel at the top end of Lake Annecy at 0830 and currently 10km from Moutiers.
Traffic moving easily at the speed limit. Police stationed at some of the slip roads to keep everyone on the
N90.
latest report
@muppet, Its a bit busy near the Saix tunnel but otherwise clear. Everyone is behind you going at the peage out of Chambery!
snow report
Left Lyon at 6.05. heavy around Chambery and Albertville but otherwise a clear run to Moutiers. Stopped at Super U in Salons Les there's for a shop and fuel fill up, now on the final climb up to Courchevel. Kids ski hire starts tomorrow but might see if we can collect them around lunch time and warm the kids up on the free drags this afternoon.
snow report
ET at HT
Booked on 21:20 train but on Flexi
Arrived at ET at 20:00
Train started moving at 20:55.

I used to scoff at people wasting £100 on the flexi ticket, but at HT...

Anyway after a nights sleep at the Holiday Inn Express in Ghent, we’re now approaching Cologne.
Traffic has been light so far.
ski holidays
@chocksaway, yes slightly slow as the lanes merge just before and after the Saix tunnel, but flowing now towards Bourg
ski holidays
@muppet, Skiing before lunch then snowHead snowHead snowHead

Toodlepip off for a slide.
latest report
@chocksaway, yep. Enjoy

Just about to stop at Bourg Super U and the traffic is fine.

And blue sky😃
snow conditions
@Poindexter, we drove from Gloucestershire to Kaprun via Zell am See a few years ago and it took us about 4 hours longer than the usual drive to somewhere like Val Thorens. Hopefully that gives you some relative context.
snow report
I’m going to follow the lead of @NickyJ, and put our journey in here even tho we’re flying for most of it!

A bit of a lie in, then up at 630 to finish packing, left at 8 for a clear run round the M25 from Essex to Heathrow. Medium (maybe 20 minutes) checkin queues for the normal and club class desks but flowing well, even a 5 min queue at the first wing. Tucking into cooked breakfast by 930 with 2 hours to kill before our flight.
ski holidays
Phase three... on the bus from Oulx. The sun is shining, 2°C. Onwards!
snow conditions
We are driving to Montgenevre. Left Reading about 8.15 for our 1120 tunnel crossing. Easy journey, tried to park near the exit of the terminal car park but couldn’t get a space so went round again. Busy terminal with groovy brass band playing. Delays expected to be up to 2 hours then driving to Macon for overnight stop. Hoping the worst of the traffic will have already gone.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy