Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My First Pair of Ski Boots - Here's the catch.... Off the internet *Don't shout all at once!*

Poster: A snowHead
Good Morning everyone, My first pair of Ski boots have finally been purchased as I have grown sick and tired of the process of hiring through the years, however i chose an online option as they were heavily reduced!

DALBELLO IL MORO MX 90 MILITARYGREEN/BLK 18 - is the title so if any Ski Geek can offer a review if you have currently or in the past had Dalbello boots that will be great to see.

Also i know it is of great benefit to get them professionally fitted so I will be calling my local Snow & Rock shops to ask if they would help for a small cost, has anyone else done this and will they help me out?

*Reading into them the boot itself has a Truefit Sports Liner which moulds to your foot through normal use so does this need 'professionally fitting?'

Thank you in advance for any help, reviews and general Ski chat! Cool
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Worst case scenario is that they are entirely unsuitable for your foot, and you will have to put them back on ebay. I confess that I once bought a pair online, same make and model as the ones I was wearing, but half a mondo point smaller, as my existing boots were too sloppy. They were agony. I suffered with them for a couple of weeks, bruised my toenails, and then bought a properly fitted pair that the boot fitter chose for me, and sold the others on ebay again.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rolling eyes Laughing

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 7-02-18 12:41; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good luck, hope they fit and don't hurt. I guess there's a chance. Personally, I wouldn't buy shoes online let alone ski boots Confused
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It you have very standard same sized feet, and know what you liked and didn’t like about your previous rental boots, you may be fine. The boot you have bought is a relatively low flex rating, with a wide fitting, designed for freestyle/park use. If you are a low weight, or intermediate skier (due to the low flex rating), with wide/high volume feet, then the boots may work.

The majority of ski shops will create a custom footbed for you, fomany boot, not just ones bought from them. But don’t expect them to drop everything Ona Saturday morning, unless you make an appointment.

The manufacturers website is https://www.dalbello.it/en/boots/freestyle/il-moro-mx-90/
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A big part of Fitting, is selecting the right model in the first place.....so this is a little bit "Cart before the horse".

- If the the boot is too big or the wrong shape for your foot, there are much less options available.

- If the boot is a reasonably good fit, but has tight spots, then they can help.

- It is much easier to reduce the stiffness of the boot (if it proves too hard to flex for your weight/ability), than it is to make the boot stiffer (if too soft).

- They will be able to sort a custom insole.

- It is a bit of a lottery in big chains whether you get a decent fitter...it's probably better to give where you live and someone may be able to recommend somewhere.

- Your other option is to get the work done while in the ski resort (ask here for recommendations)....this will allow you to ski in them and get further alterations, if necessary.

- Be prepared to be told that you may have bought the wrong brand and in the wrong size....unless you are very lucky.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 7-02-18 12:57; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Shoulda bought from Decathlon - you can buy whatever you like, ski it for a season then take it back cos the colour doesn't match your new kecks or sumfink*

* advice from our resident bootfitters are overrated rip off merchants troll.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think Snow & Rock get mixed reviews. Can any helpful SnowHeads point the OP to a better bootfitter locally to the Wirral?

@Jhead91, You have taken a bit of a gamble buying boots online, but you know this already. You may well be lucky and they will fit a treat, but do take steps to minimise your losses if they don't. e.g. keep the original packaging etc. If you have the option of cancelling your purchase before delivery then I suspect many on here would suggest you consider doing so.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
But surely second hand boots off the internet have been worn in so will always be comfortable wink
I'm putting my very well worn in Atomic Hawx on E Bay soon Cool
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Rivington Alpine maybe?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you for your replies so far, I feel like a toddler that has tried to help but done the wrong thing and have been slightly told off/ warned haha. They are due to arrive tomorrow , I consider myself a good/ advanced intermediate Skier, but I'm guessing you could label me a novice when it comes to purchasing Ski equipment!

I will ensure to keep all of the receipts and original packaging, I can return if the boots are not to my standard and foot size.

I guess I was too excited and jumped straight into an online purchase as I had just booked a last minute Sauze trip for next month!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jhead91 wrote:
Thank you for your replies so far, I feel like a toddler that has tried to help but done the wrong thing and have been slightly told off/ warned haha. They are due to arrive tomorrow , I consider myself a good/ advanced intermediate Skier, but I'm guessing you could label me a novice when it comes to purchasing Ski equipment!

I will ensure to keep all of the receipts and original packaging, I can return if the boots are not to my standard and foot size.

I guess I was too excited and jumped straight into an online purchase as I had just booked a last minute Sauze trip for next month!

If you can get a decent bootfitter to check whether your boots are suitable for you, within the timeframe you have to return them....you can then send them back if necessary, with no harm done. A reputable Bootfitter will not simply tell you that they are unsuitable, just so they can make a sale.

It is also possible that they are a reasonable fit, but the Flex is a bit soft......so your weight and how fast you ski, will come into this. If you are Male and of average weight, the flex does look a bit soft.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 7-02-18 14:18; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just for a bit of balance:

I've bought boots on the internet successfully (including 2 pairs I'm enjoying skiing in now).
I've bought boots from ski shops unsuccessfully.
My kids are skiing in cast off boots that were fitted for my wife and I.

Don't get me wrong - I'd always recommend going to a ski shop with a good reputation for bootfitting. But if you know what you are buying, it's not ludicrous to shop online.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
what about everyone buying second hand boots that have been worn in or fitted to someone else feet? I get a pair of head 70 flex out of decathlon, fitted me straight out the box & done me for 2 years (30+ days).
Only when I knew I was going to stick at skiing did I invest in a decent pair, even then I went for last season.
It's not compulsory to buy dear.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm a tightarse so refused to spend in the shops with a fitter as I could easily get any boot for next to nothing.
The result being loads of wasted money!
last year I thought I had it sussed with understanding last size and overall shape etc but again a false economy, as a local games show host used to say, its close but its not right!
forked out £400 this year and man, what was I thinking all those years, transformed my skiing!
So my tuppence worth, send them back and go to a good fitter, will save you so much money and time in the long run
snow conditions
Unless you have actually had a pair of those exact boots in that size on your feet to make an initial judgement, I would say the chances of them being a good fit are slim to non-existent. It's also unlikely that the flex will be to your preference either. It's hard enough buying normal shoes online and getting a good fit, but ski boots of all things....... no thanks.
ski holidays
buy ski/snowboards is like Ollivanders Wand Shop.
You dont pick the boots.
The boots pick you.
By the time you get something the right length, the right width & all the other paramaters, you will be lucky if you have choosing to do at all.
latest report
Jonny996 wrote:
what about everyone buying second hand boots that have been worn in or fitted to someone else feet? I get a pair of head 70 flex out of decathlon, fitted me straight out the box & done me for 2 years (30+ days).
Only when I knew I was going to stick at skiing did I invest in a decent pair, even then I went for last season.
It's not compulsory to buy dear.

It's not about money in this case, it's about the boots actually fitting your feet properly. That may well mean paying someone to make sure that you have a perfectly fitting boot, but that's money well spent in skiing as any experienced skier will tell you. People who go it alone usually don't know what they are missing or are extremely lucky in finding their perfect boot on their own.
snow report
Last year, having decided to really get back into skiing (as well as still boarding) I bought my first pair of boots in 30 years.

The excellent lady in S&R Covent Garden measured my feet and showed me what I could choose from. It didn't matter if I liked the look of XXXXX brand/model, she knew what would fit and she was right. After me choosing (Atomic Hawx 110s), she then worked with me for 1.5 hours, making subtle changes to the shells, to the liners and making me footbeds.

The extra cost for her skills and time in making them fit perfectly was the cost of the footbed material. And they do fit perfectly. At the close of play each day, my feet feel great. I see people sitting down for lunch and the first thing they do is unclip their boots... mine stay clipped up all day.

Boot comfort is a constant moan heard at cafes and in cable cars. I suspect these people also bought their boots on-line!

Save yourself a load of money and go to a shop with a good boot fitter, or go to a boot fitter with a good range and good experience.
snow conditions
Boots off the internet; a trip to Sauze.

Sounds just like me in 1978! (Well, it was mail order from Alpine Sports in them pre-winternet days!) Very Happy

I know better now....
snow conditions
jonm wrote:
Rivington Alpine maybe?

Bought & fitted a pair for me here a couple of seasons back... having had crippling pain/blisters from hire shops I couldn't take any more. Took about 3 hours in all to fit, Great service.
snow report
@Jhead91, know what you mean about the 'toddler' thing, I've experienced it after buying my first (and so far only) pair of boots having only done about a day of skiing and deciding it was the hobby for me. In many respects I lucked out in terms of fit, they could be better but generally pretty good and I think the girl at S&R did a good job of fitting them.

Not sure how they are with boot fitting but Sail And Ski must be fairly near you in Chester. I got one of my sets of skis from them because they were really well priced, possibly worth popping in for a chat and maybe booking a fitting...although their website says an hour for boot fitting, which I'd have thought is a bit light.
snow conditions
Jhead91 wrote:

Also i know it is of great benefit to get them professionally fitted so I will be calling my local Snow & Rock shops to ask if they would help for a small cost, has anyone else done this and will they help me out?

Short answer - yes. Most shops will work on boots, even if they didn't sell them, for a cost.

If you mean the Snow and Rock on the Wirral by Birkenhead, don't go there. Go to Sail and Ski in Chester. It's better.

Quote:

*Reading into them the boot itself has a Truefit Sports Liner which moulds to your foot through normal use so does this need 'professionally fitting?'

More or less every boot manufacturer uses heat-mouldable liners and gives them some kind of technical name to make them sound like something they're not. The fact is that realistically anything made of plastic becomes relatively malleable once it's hot, that's not unique to ski boots. So yes - they still need 'fitting' really.

PowderAdict wrote:

The majority of ski shops will create a custom footbed for you, fomany boot, not just ones bought from them.

I have to say I don't have much confidence in the custom footbeds made by the majority of shops. Creating good quality footbeds is a skill that professional podiatrists take time to master. The ones you get in most ski boot shops - where you put your foot on the gels pads - the guys there get like a day's training on how to use it and a little paper certificate at the end. If you want a proper footbed you should see a proper boot fitter - like Profeet / S4F or whatever.

I was in a ski shop recently and a guy came in and said he wanted custom footbeds because he had issues with collapsing arches. So the ski shop bloke had him stood on the gel pads for 10 minutes whilst the insole heated, then he put the insole in the gel pad and had the guy stand there a further 10 minutes to get the fit. The shop bloke totally not thinking about the fact that all the while his customer was stood on the gel pads, his arches were collapsing and thus pushing away the support. So the insole produced will not be supporting his arches. He's paid good money for a total dud. Any good fitter would have either use a vacuum system (as Colin does) or would have at least had the customer sit on a chair and put his feet on the gel pads with minimal weight on his feet.
snow report
Give Sail and Ski a call, they're good guys (and a dalbello dealer).
latest report
dp wrote:
Jhead91 wrote:

Short answer - yes. Most shops will work on boots, even if they didn't sell them, for a cost.

If you mean the Snow and Rock on the Wirral by Birkenhead, don't go there. Go to Sail and Ski in Chester. It's better.

Quote:

More or less every boot manufacturer uses heat-mouldable liners and gives them some kind of technical name to make them sound like something they're not. The fact is that realistically anything made of plastic becomes relatively malleable once it's hot, that's not unique to ski boots. So yes - they still need 'fitting' really.

PowderAdict wrote:

The majority of ski shops will create a custom footbed for you, fomany boot, not just ones bought from them.

I have to say I don't have much confidence in the custom footbeds made by the majority of shops. Creating good quality footbeds is a skill that professional podiatrists take time to master. The ones you get in most ski boot shops - where you put your foot on the gels pads - the guys there get like a day's training on how to use it and a little paper certificate at the end. If you want a proper footbed you should see a proper boot fitter - like Profeet / S4F or whatever.

I was in a ski shop recently and a guy came in and said he wanted custom footbeds because he had issues with collapsing arches. So the ski shop bloke had him stood on the gel pads for 10 minutes whilst the insole heated, then he put the insole in the gel pad and had the guy stand there a further 10 minutes to get the fit. The shop bloke totally not thinking about the fact that all the while his customer was stood on the gel pads, his arches were collapsing and thus pushing away the support. So the insole produced will not be supporting his arches. He's paid good money for a total dud. Any good fitter would have either use a vacuum system (as Colin does) or would have at least had the customer sit on a chair and put his feet on the gel pads with minimal weight on his feet.

Very informative reply, thank you I will contact Sail & Ski!

I will be sure to update everyone on my experience and what my next decision is, send them back on buy them direct or *fingers crossed* they turn out to be just what i need!

Have a good day everyone
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy