Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Must-Have Ski Gadgets

Poster: A snowHead
swiftoid wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Boot heaters.

Do you mean things to keep your feet warm while skiing or things to dry your boots after a day skiing?
Heating elements with are fitted to your boot's footbeds, battery powered, to stop your feet getting cold while skiing. My touch of luxury, which has gradually become an essential.

Dry boots are a good start to the day, so I also have a heated boot bag and a air-blower thing for gloves or boots. Those are nice to have, but not essential.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As @dp said, trigger s poles.

I love my trigger poles they’re amazing in the snowdome.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar wrote:
swiftoid wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Boot heaters.

Do you mean things to keep your feet warm while skiing or things to dry your boots after a day skiing?
Heating elements with are fitted to your boot's footbeds, battery powered, to stop your feet getting cold while skiing. My touch of luxury, which has gradually become an essential.

Dry boots are a good start to the day, so I also have a heated boot bag and a air-blower thing for gloves or boots. Those are nice to have, but not essential.

Thanks.
I guess I'm lucky in that I very, very seldom suffer from cold feet so have no need for something like that. I am interested in ways of drying my boots though. Normally I'd just sit them on a radiator but that's not possible if I'm sitting in my campervan in Scotland so I'm intrigued by the Drysure option @Weathercam mentioned. Has anybody else had success with these?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
djf wrote:
As @dp said, trigger s poles.

I love my trigger poles they’re amazing in the snowdome.
Used to use them, but got increasingly frustrated with two problems: snow / ice getting inside the socket the trigger clips in to, and more importantly no way to lean on the straps when you rest on the poles while looking up the hill. So I ditched the Lekis and when back to a traditional strap.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Airhorn for when I'm skiing past nervous newbies on a cattrack going mach schnell.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar wrote:
....and more importantly no way to lean on the straps when you rest on the poles while looking up the hill.

It takes up a whole section in BASI training....and years of practice, to perfect this static stance. Toofy Grin

(There are National differences....but I can always tell the quality of an Instructor, by the way he/she stands, leans on his/her poles and looks up the hill). Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Dave of the Marmottes, Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Old Fartbag wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
....and more importantly no way to lean on the straps when you rest on the poles while looking up the hill.

It takes up a whole section in BASI training....and years of practice, to perfect this static stance. Toofy Grin

(There are National differences....but I can always tell the quality of an Instructor, by the way he/she stands, leans on his/her poles and looks up the hill). Madeye-Smiley

Very important to get it right.

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

Very important to get it right.

I like it.

- Uphill ski ahead (Tick)
- Hands hanging from loops, in a "Devil may care" fashion. (Tick)
- Pecs resting on top of Grips. (Tick)
- General look of relaxed superiority and long suffering patience.....even the bobble hat says, "I never fall". (Tick).

The level of skill, leading to accuracy of posture, is nicely highlighted by the other Gentleman in the picture, who obviously hasn't had the same level of training. snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Old Fartbag wrote:
... the other Gentleman in the picture...
Laughing

Another BASI module is on gender recognition. I'm not sure you're quite ready for that yet wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
Laughing

Another BASI module is on gender recognition. I'm not sure you're quite ready for that yet wink

Very Happy Embarassed
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ski tracks app, Go Pro, thermos of Bovril, hip flask.

Last place I stopped had some nice expensive looking walkie talkies that you could borrow, took them out a couple of days and got no use out of them, probably not worth it for a casual skier.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've never understood why people take walkie talkies skiing, @SkiTsar.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@dp, good for comms with people who struggle to use mobile phones, eg young children, technically challenged people.
Can’t always rely on mobile signal in mountains.
Got us out of many tricky situations over the years.
Also good at self service mountain restaurant. Gentleman holds prime table on terrace, relaxing in sun. Partner goes to counter, relays menu by walkie talkie to table-defending hero. He confirms order, impressing whole terrace full of people. Continues offering verbal encouragement by walkie talkie, as she struggles, in ski boots, with full tray of food/drinks to table.
I commend walkie talkies to the house 😉
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@swiftoid, I also own the Drysure dryers and have been impressed. They definitely do dry my boots and also, as a result, significantly reduce their 'aroma'! (The same company also makes smaller versions - thinking of getting some for my running shoes.)
latest report
@Gipfel, thanks!
ski holidays
Old Fartbag wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:
@SnoodlesMcFlude,
Very Happy Very Happy
I couldn't agree more!

Add a little Lapsang Souchong, and you're good to go.

There must be a more upmarket Ski Forum I could join, as this one is full of Heathens? Razz Toofy Grin

One where our £1000 Swiss watches are our cheap watches? Laughing
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
Laughing

Laughing Laughing
latest report
Hip Flask

Preferable full of a winter warming beverage.
snow report
@Old Fartbag, @rob@rar, you know there's a school of thought that straps are for numpties* - you hardly see any guides / hard core free riders using them.

That said even when skiing steeps in trees I still like them when many I ski with don't use them / have them cut off.

* that will get you all going Laughing
snow conditions
foxtrotzulu wrote:
If you are going to France a bed that is longer than 5'8" is worth tucking into your suitcase as well.

And if in Austria a saw to 'convert' the Austrian twin bed in to two proper singles - especially when the friend you're sharing with doesn't see anything wrong with sleeping in the buff in an Austrian twin.
latest report
My 'lucky' Swiss watch that I found on the slopes one day.

Must be worth a grand or so
latest report
@PeakyB, I think I'd be too self-conscious about looking like a plane spotter.
ski holidays
Whitters wrote:
My 'lucky' Swiss watch that I found on the slopes one day.

Must be worth a grand or so

Lucky you. Although if I found something of value on the slopes, I would assume someone else lost it accidentally and will want it back. And I would do my best to get it back to them (hand in to lift pass office/police). Its the only decent and honest thing to do, selfish and dishonest to do anything else. Even worse to boast about how you found and chose to keep someone else's £1000 watch). Hope you never lose anything yourself as you clearly have no expectation or hope that if found it would be returned to you.
latest report
PeakyB wrote:
@dp...
Also good at self service mountain restaurant. Gentleman holds prime table on terrace, relaxing in sun. Partner goes to counter, relays menu by walkie talkie to table-defending hero. He confirms order, impressing whole terrace full of people. Continues offering verbal encouragement by walkie talkie, as she struggles, in ski boots, with full tray of food/drinks to table.
I commend walkie talkies to the house 😉

I'm now inspired to borrow the kids sponge bob square pants walkie talkies to save any bar faff ( on my part at least). However im not sure the call signs Sponge Bob to Patrick will be cool enough, what do you suggest Maverick to Goose or would iceman be better?
snow conditions
I don't ski any more having discovered a better way, but these are really useful generally:
https://eu.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_GB/skis/ski-strap-BD1021360000ALL1.html
Use them to bundle skis and poles together (that's why they don't chop the straps off the poles, you need those twisted around the tips). They're great for fixing things (as are tie wraps), but they're also handy for packing your boards with bubble wrap etc. And cinch one around each ankle to solve the apres issue described in another thread.
latest report
@philwig, Agreed, I've got loads of the G3 version, and some older ones from Voile:

https://ca-store.genuineguidegear.com/products/ski-utility-straps

http://www.voile.com/voile-straps.html
ski holidays
coops1967 wrote:
Apart from boot dryers... and yes to the Hestra glove straps too... here's a great thingy I picked up in Whistler - especially useful for Hestra owners, as they don't have any wipers built in

adjustable velcro, strap it over your thumb

I saw people with these in Whistler, on a retractable elastic. I think I did a little wee, then just wiped with my wiperless glove as always!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@zikomo, i think he is joking as DP mentioned losing a £1000 swiss watch
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:
@zikomo, i think he is joking as DP mentioned losing a £1000 swiss watch

Yes thank you @holidayloverxx, maybe my sense of humour is too subtle and dark for some Laughing
ski holidays
Another +1 for the DrySure boot dryers.

Although I did manage to ‘blow-up’ an old pair in a French oven whilst, ahem, distracted. Don’t ask Embarassed
snow report
Our best ski gadgets? 4 old half litre plastic Badoit water bottles (other brands are available). Fill with hot water, slip one each into ski boot before loading up freezing car for 15 minute drive to slopes. Result - toasty malleable ski boots on arrival that we can actually get our feet into without (too much) swearing Madeye-Smiley .
snow report
@betterinblack,
Quote:

I'm now inspired to borrow the kids sponge bob square pants walkie talkies to save any bar faff ( on my part at least). However im not sure the call signs Sponge Bob to Patrick will be cool enough, what do you suggest Maverick to Goose or would iceman be better?

This usually works for me...'I want a [insert food & drink of choice] and I want it now, BY ORDER of the Peaky Blinders snowHead

In my dreams.
latest report
@Whitters, you'd be welcome to it. By the time it fell off I'd lost all love for it, the insurance paid for it, and I got something I preferred in the sales, for about £300 (by going Japanese). So I've now got a better watch, a G-Shock for skiing, and still about £600 to spend on blow and hookers.
snow report
@dp, ha ha....so every cloud, etc
snow conditions
For £30 I've taken a punt on the drysure boot driers and will give them a test run next month in the PDS.
snow report
Best thing I've bought, discovered that the blood cools quickest around the wrists as it flows very close to the skin with little protection. Never had cold hands since wearing these including skiing at -25C!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Marmot-Stretch-Wrist-Gaiter-Gloves/dp/B0085MAPSM?tag=amz07b-21
snow conditions
@swishtony, should also stop you losing your watch!!! Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Perhaps not a 'must have' - but a good gadget all the same.

http://www.theproggle.com/

I saw this referenced on this forum a year or two ago, and ordered one. It does the job it was designed to do, and attracted "I want one of those" comments from others on a recent trip.
snow report
Couple of loops of Duct Tape round my pole, always handy.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy