Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does Lake Louise have a Gondola?

Poster: A snowHead
I was under the impression it didn't, but on their summer website. They are advertising the opening of their summer sightseeing gondola on 15th May and shows a photo of a quite modern gondola? Is it open in the winter?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From fodors.com:

Quote:
In summer you can ride the gondola to the summit of Mt. Whitehorn for a stunning view that includes more than a dozen glaciers. In good weather, the sundeck of the Whitehorn Tea House (open June 1-September 15 for breakfast and lunch; June 15-August 31 for dinner, too), at the top of the lift, is a good place for lunch. The ski area here is generally regarded as one of Canada's best and is frequent home to World Cup downhill races. Free 30- to 90-minute naturalist-led hikes go to the top of the mountain; check with the operator, as schedules vary. COST: $17. Open June and Sept. daily 8:30-6; July and Aug., daily 8-6.

So it would appear that the gondola does not run during the skiing season. I was there in January and don't recall actually seeing a gondola, and it's not on any of the piste maps.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
None when I was there, but do recall seeing the lift station. At Blackhorn Lodge I think . Also below there, on the piste map is marked 'Old Gondola line'
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
moosepig, The top of the gondola station was at Whitehorn Lodge (where we did the torchlight descent from). You could see all the pylons & cables were there, just the gondolas were missing.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pete Horn wrote:
You could see all the pylons & cables were there, just the gondolas were missing.

So, apparently, were my observational skills!! snowHead Whitehorn Lodge is nowhere near the "summit of Mt Whitehorn", which (correct me if I'm wrong) is where the summit drag-lift ends up, but also where several web articles claim the Summer gondola reaches. Me = confused... Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It appears to be just a summer gondola (also looking at the photo of it, it doesn't have external ski racks)

http://www.skilouise.com/summer/rates_info.asp

http://www.skilouise.com/mountain_stats/
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
But if you notice on this trail map...
http://www.skilouise.com/trailmaps/frontside.html

Beside black run 3 is something marked as "Old Gondola Line"

so, who knows what's going on!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

black run 3 is something marked as "Old Gondola Line"

Not quite, there is a line of trees between the two. Run 3 is Ladies Downhill, regardless of what the key says. (The key has two number fives.)

The key also has The Jungle (5A) marked as a black. I'm pretty certain it's now marked as a blue & rightly so.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Jungle was the terrain park back in 2002, these days it's just plain old Juniper Jungle and of course the terrain park is under the main chairlift.

One piste I'm never quite sure about is Upper Meadowlark which is a black on the map and a blue on the mountain and often filled with bodies lying prone. NehNeh
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You're right, it's Juniper Jungle now and a lovely run it is too, most people seem to avoid it, perhaps because they think it still is a terrain park.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Helen Beaumont wrote:
At Blackhorn Lodge I think . Also below there, on the piste map is marked 'Old Gondola line'
oops sorry Whitehorn Lodge, it was late.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alexandra, when we were here last year, snow wasn't brilliant, except for Meadowlark, and it was also empty, no bodies.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Still not sure where bottom of gondola was though, or why it's not operating in the winter, in that cold weather, you'd think it'd be a great attraction.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
They obviously rely on the door to door bus services from the hotels to the base lodge in the winter. Don't think you can ski to the bottom station and if you were using it as beginning of day transport it would need to be more convenient.

I looked on the rudimentary maps for the bottom station and it seemed to be the other side of the dual carriageway from the 'village' so not easy to get to from the hotels without transport and I couldn't see a sign posted road leading to where it should have been.

I did see an advert for it in a glossy hotel book and it was obviously for the summer. It promised wonderful views of the mountains but for the most part I think you'd be travelling below tops of the trees.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Helen, people don't seem to use meadowlark - I sat there in a tree well for ages (upsidedown natch) and nobody came past so I had to drag myself out in the end. I did come across a girl this year though sobbing and crying "this isn't like a blue I've ever done before" Wink. I don't know why people don't do meadowlark, I suppose because it's on the far left of the mountain everyone cuts down through deer meadow instead. Same for juniper jungle, it's on the far right and I think most people just carry on flying down juniper. Also nobody goes to the far right of lower headwall, there's always places at Louise that are deserted and that's why I love it! Smile
ski holidays
Dammit! Now I want to go back already! Wink

I'm trying to figure out what to do next year, 3 weeks or 4. 2 in Louise, 1 in Whistler and a few days in Red Deer/Big White - but what's a girl to do? Wink
ski holidays
Still Confused?
Just have to find out when I get there
ski holidays
In a word johnboy : No.

The bubble gondola is NOT open in the winter. The Glacier Express is named because on that short journey you might just feel like you've spent all night stranded in the arctic! Wink Whenever I'm on it in the wind I ask myself "how long would I last before I jumped off if this thing stopped?". Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy