Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help needed, urgent!! To get to villandary today

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I could do with some help if anyone knows the area.

I've done the stupid thing, arrived at Gatwick with the wrong passport so will miss my flight. My husband is bringing it, but is 3 hours away. I'm trying to work out getting to villandary tonight

Option are
Lyon, but may not be on time for that
Geneva

I'm looking how to get to resort from each. There is altibus to Les Arcs which I know us near, but anyone know if I can easily get to villandary from which les arc resort?

Or any other ideas? If its too hard I may have to pay £300 for a taxi. But trying to come at this with a sensible head.

Any help gratefully accepted, don't worry I feel so stupid at this point!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Best go to Borg san M' and find a hotel for the night, then in the morning catch a train for the few stops back to Landry for the bus up the hill. The bus station next to the BsM still begins that journey for you. A taxi from Landry should be about 40eu bus about 8.
You won't have a problem getting up to the resort from BsM.

Someone more local will soon come along with more detailed information
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you, I'll look it up
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There are train options from both airports https://www.sbb.ch/en/timetable.html is the timetable I find most useful. Some of which stop before BSM at a station closer to Villandry, but from memory its a small station and you may have to order a taxi to meet you at the train to take you up to resort. I will see if I can find a link to the firm I used from BSM station up to Arc 2000.

I`m sure others will be along soon with more local knowledge than I and I hope it works out well for you.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@auntie masque, You beat me too it lol
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This was the taxi firm I used at Xmas 2014 when I knew a few hours before that our planned lift up to resort would not make it into BSM till several hours too late lol https://www.taxi-bourg-st-maurice.net/taxi-les-arcs
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@micheleperry, sorry didn't realise that you needed to get to the valley from GVA.
The most direct trains though technically a longer route is a fast train to Lyon and the more local direct back to BsM. There are shorter journeys but with more and longer stops. Then the bus or taxi up the hill.

You could have a quick chat with the reps in GVA doing transfers and see if they'll take a backhander to add you to their bus. . . It has worked in the past.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all for your help. I think I will get to Stanstead when my husband arrives, there are 2 Geneva flights this afternoon.

Altibus looks like it has a 19.30 which goes to peisey villandary I think. Does anyone know if they need to be pre booked? Failing that, as I'm on my own I may taxi all the way rather than a hotel half way. The other 15 in my group are due to take off in 10 mins. I won't forget this holiday!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@denfinella has produced a table of published transfer costs that might help you, this is the thread with the link to the table in first posting:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=133644#3184637

If you think you may go the 'thumb a lift with a tour operator' route, it may be worth spending some of your wait trying to work out which tour ops use the flight you are on by trawling the obvious candidates online.

Don't forget that the transfer bus operators are not allowed to take bookings on the spot in Geneva airport, but I assume that if you booked online even if physically at Geneva that would ok (but not sure on that, so may be best to check with them now).

Good luck!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A few more links:

https://www.peisey-vallandry.com/medias/documents/16_doc_hiver/shuttle_airport_uk_geneva.pdf

https://en.peisey-vallandry.com/winter/acces-by-plane.html

https://www.snowcarbon.co.uk/ski-resorts/peisey-vallandry/peisey-vallandry-transfer-guide
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You could ask the question on the Tarentaise Transfers Group on Facebook. Lots of people, mainly Brit operators, involved with running airport transfers to the Tarentaise resorts, and frequent questions & answers about filling last minute requests. You might find it is easier to get to Bourg Saint Maurice and then get a taxi from there than a direct transfer to Vallandry. Taxi Aarthur is a good option, 52 euros from Bourg train station to Vallandry.

Do not get a transfer to Les Arcs and then try to get to Vallandry - the only direct way of doing that is on skis.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all, I do appreciate the help.

Update, I can get a 10am to grenoble from Gatwick. Then try to get a lift or bus from there. Phew, passport is 20 mins away.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
When we arrived at Chambéry a couple of years ago, with a private transfer booked, a group of 3 ladies had asked all the taxis waiting with their boards where they were heading. Having found ours, going to les arcs, they’d established there was room and then hung around to ask us if they could join our journey. It was an 8 seater minibus and we were 4 so we were quite happy to share the cost and I just asked them for 3/8ths of the fare in cash. The taxi dropped us first and then took them on to where they wanted to go (they also had to pay any extra the driver charged for that- I didn’t get involved), but it was win-win all round albeit a high risk strategy for them. Worth a try though if you have time when you arrive at GVA.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@micheleperry,

“the wrong passport”

As, in, the wrong passport for billing the client for the right assassination? Puzzled

Anyhoo, www.rome2rio.com is my favourite how do I get from a to b friend. Not so great on detail but very good on suggestions...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi, it was the wrong passport as in brought my step daughters not mine! How stupid can you get?

Thanks everyone, I've finally checked in and will work on getting to the hotel now
ski holidays
@micheleperry, I can't help, but please let us all know how this pans out! I hope you have a great week.
ski holidays
@micheleperry, ....have experienced many people doing this...

And

1 ' madam, are you aware that your passport has expired......'
2 top expert failed to come to conference; left passport at home
3 grandma looks at me, in car at Dover, when I ask can I have your passport? I can see in her eyes that she hasn't
4 'sir, this number does not correspond to the number you entered on the website'

Etc
snow conditions
I was going to suggest BensBus but looks like no later busses available from Grenoble.

Other option then is get to Grenoble train station and train to Aime. You would then need to get up to Villandry. I was told that hitchhiking is an option but maybe not for a single female. Taxi from there would be a lot cheaper than Borge SM I would say.
snow report
Grenoble Airport, train to main station, train to Chambery, train to BsM, bus to Valandry. Been there, done that.
snow report
To everyone who was so helpful this morning, I'm here!! So lucky that a club med flight from Israel was late, and they let me on their coach for free! I'm just waiting for my own rep to come and collect me, but at last I'm in the same resort as my hotel, and it's not even dark.
Thanks
snow conditions
@micheleperry, great news, we've been thinking of you today! And you're even in plenty of time for a celebratory drink or several...... Happy
latest report
@micheleperry, well done a good result. I stopped in Plan Peisey a couple of weeks back with Ski Beat just next to the Club Med (looks a nice place) and really enjoyed it hope you have good time
snow conditions
@micheleperry, Congratulations Very Happy, the Internet is a wonderful thing. Imagine trying to do this 20+ years ago Shocked
snow conditions
@micheleperry, Glad to hear you made it!
latest report
Excellent news, so glad it turned out not so traumatic in the end.
ski holidays
Cool

You're in for a great week of skiing. Enjoy
snow conditions
Crackin' news @micheleperry, reps are usually good people, they have to be to deal with some of us Embarassed and as long as you're not obviously pulling a fiddle they can be really helpful. Have a wonderful time Toofy Grin
latest report
@PowderAdict, 20 years ago, I would have put my thumb out and had a sad face, and would immediately have got a lift up the hill....that's now a thing of the past....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PowderAdict wrote:
@micheleperry, Congratulations Very Happy, the Internet is a wonderful thing. Imagine trying to do this 20+ years ago Shocked

It really wasn't that challenging and in fact in some cases might have been easier. In the mid 90s so pre internet as we know it, a big group of my mates organised a skiing trip to LDA (with a TO); at the time I wasn't sure I could get the time off so declined. About 2 weeks prior to the trip I realised that I could indeed get the time off, but the TO had no space left.

Anyway, I gambled on sorting everything out when I got there and bought a flight (which happened, by luck, to be the same one they were on). When we got the airport and they had got a hold of their rep I buttonholed him for a lift on the same bus for a tenner. Then on the bus I explained my lack of accommodation. They thought they could fix me up in a hotel and when we got into the resort they stopped the bus outside same hotel, one of the reps popped inside and 5 minutes later came back with B&B for a week. As my mates were all in apartments that was ideal.
ski holidays
Pre internet days got a last minute flight to Innsbruck (booked that morning) and just asked some reps if there were any buses to Soll (ski world area)
One rep said they had spaces on their transfer coach and could drop me off in resort (small fee changed hands). On the coach I asked rep if they knew of any cheap, decent accommodation, they advised a few options and got sorted with a nice b and b for a reasonable price. During the week stood the rep a few drinks and enquired about a return coach journey to the airport. Again a small fee was negotiated and was duly dropped back at the airport in time for the flight

Who needs the internet, use of the spoken word can be just as effective
ski holidays
valais2 wrote:
@micheleperry, ....have experienced many people doing this...

And

1 ' madam, are you aware that your passport has expired......'
2 top expert failed to come to conference; left passport at home
3 grandma looks at me, in car at Dover, when I ask can I have your passport? I can see in her eyes that she hasn't
4 'sir, this number does not correspond to the number you entered on the website'

My mum got on to the ferry to France using my passport, I had to post hers out to where they were staying. In total they went through 3 passport controls using the passport of a bloke in his mid 20s rather than a woman in her mid 50s...not sure who that reflects most badly on, I guess it's border patrol Laughing
snow report
Son got as far as Eurotunnel on our way to 2014 EoSB before realising he didn't have his passport. We winged it, hoping that French passport control didn't check the passports,they didn't, and we got him there. Coming back they just got him to fill in a form, and probably did an online search for his passport, before allowing us to board. The 5 hours delay had nothing to do with us, honest guvnor. He had his driving licence with him, so I assume they were able to check. We did ask UK border force at the terminal what to do.
ski holidays
Hi all, just thought I'd once again say thanks for all the great help on such a stressful morning last week! The internet is amazing, and this forum is the first place I thought to ask for help. the facebook group was very helpful, and I'd managed to line up a taxi to the resort from Grenoble for €220 if needed. But it was pure fluke that a Club med flight was late and I remembered they had a hotel in Vallandry, they just added me to the list when I asked.

I have to say though, it was a strange thing to get on my new flight and not really know how i was getting to my hotel, that part was a leap of faith, but it all worked well in the end.

One for everyone to check in future, make sure the passport in your bag is definitely yours!

Huge credit to my other half too, but getting to me so quickly with the correct passport for a holiday he wasn't coming on! Blush
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy