Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying new skis-advice needed please

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all.
I am going to Canada next week for just over 2 weeks of skiing.Have priced things up and looks like I would be able to buy skis for not a huge amount more than renting(2 center holiday) will be skiing some powder in Fernie hopefully.
So my dilemma-which ski to go for.The ones I have looked at (available to buy in Banff) are salomon lux 92. Am i going to regret going for such a wide ski when it comes to using it on a normal european ski holiday? or will they handle any type of skiing.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hard to answer, as preference comes into it.

- How good a skier are you
- How much do you weigh
- What's the widest ski you have used before and what width do you normally use
- How much Off Piste do you normally ski in Europe and how many weeks do you ski
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yes, like OF said, really a matter of what you like in your quiver. I would say that it does not seem as if a 92 underfoot ski is overly wide and should be pretty adapatable to piste and off-piste. Actually not wide enough for me in deep pow, but maybe you are a better skier than I. I just picked up an all mountain that is 96 underfoot that I plan on using for everything but deep powder.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
weight 62kg.confident in deep powder.
enjoy off piste-normally do snoworks courses.but if not on a course wouldn't venture off piste. ski 2 weeks year normally.
normally ski on whatever they give me when I ask for an all mountain ski -but did ski on salomon Q98 on snoworks course last year and don't remember them giving me any trouble on the piste.
I know I need a selection in my quiver really but trying to plump for middle of the road, cover all bases type.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
should add that I am female
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
there was a similar discussion on all mountain skis recently here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3178986&highlight=rckr#3178986 don't think it covered your selection, but I liked the sound of the rocker 2 skis or the soul 7
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
OK, so I've totally changed my view on skis this week after some 26 years of skiing. Having dabbled in racing in the past I have always loved my skinny head Sl's, anything with a plate and detest anything over 80mm underfoot. BUT then I decided a few years back to dable in off piste. I'm still a total fanny, got some Preachers, 112mm, didn't work for me. Got some R108, not a fan.

Then I got some Kastle FX95HPs and used them for the first time over the last few days. I now sleep with them wife is well and truly kicked out

No idea how they will cope in deep powder, but in knee deep, crud and on piste, what a dream.

First 2 videos are me on piste/crud after a few hours on them. Third video not me, but shows how well they go off piste (the guy has taste in clothing I will add - same clothing and boots! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin )

95mm underfoot who'd have thought it!

http://youtube.com/v/hUBxJb91VYc

http://youtube.com/v/tmfzKxJvy5A

http://youtube.com/v/rM3WgsFlmak
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Knee Deep wrote:
weight 62kg.confident in deep powder.
enjoy off piste-normally do snoworks courses.but if not on a course wouldn't venture off piste. ski 2 weeks year normally.
normally ski on whatever they give me when I ask for an all mountain ski -but did ski on salomon Q98 on snoworks course last year and don't remember them giving me any trouble on the piste.
I know I need a selection in my quiver really but trying to plump for middle of the road, cover all bases type.

FWIW. Given this info, this is my view.

I think that:
1. You should not buy a ski based on the ski conditions that you hope to get on one trip
2. If spending 90% of your time On Piste, get a Piste ski
3. If you like to venture Off Piste a little bit, go for something 84-88mm...and a little shorter than a more Off Piste length
4. If you want to get more into All Mountain skiing, 92-100mm

I am also around your weight and find that I can get away with going less wide, to get float. Due to my weight, I like an All Mountain Ski that is light and playful and thus go a bit longer. I ski Scott The Ski in a 180. I would not go this length in a much stiffer ski, like The Brahma.

I am coming at this from a bloke's perspective regarding ski recommendations, but the principal still applies:
This year my Brother (11 St and 6') first hired the Dynastar Legend X88 in a 180 (R=18m). At my suggestion, as there was nothing but scraped Piste Skiing, he swapped for a Rossignol Experience 88 in a 172 and a 15m Radius and had a much better time. I also think it would have been OK in a foot of Powder.

These are just my thoughts and opinions will differ......and I don't know whether I have helped or not. If you come to a conclusion as to what you want, I'm happy to throw out some suggestions.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 1-02-18 17:28; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think i must be the only person that did not like the soul 7s. Tried them at least 2 times, amaybe 3 because everyone loves them. I found that they chattered too much. Not sure why I did not like them at all.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Redwine, I'm with you here, not a fan myself
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Redwine, me too.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Knee Deep, If you were in the North West I could pair you up with some 162cms Rossi Saffron 7's for a steal.

96mm under foot so similar dimensions to the Snoworks Q98's. (in fact they've only been used for a 1 weeks Snoworks course last season).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My wife is a similar size to you and a pretty experienced skier - typically 6 weeks per season in Canada BC.
Her go-to ski for everything is a Line Pandora 95. Great in powder/off-piste and great on soft groomers i.e. perfect for somewhere like Fernie. Would it be a good choice in Europe? Probably not in most cases, but they do work pretty well on firm piste as long as it isn't too icy. All depends on your skiing priorities. Something a bit narrower like the Blizzard Black Pearl 88 or Volkl Kenja might be a better overall compromise.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm always pro-Salomon ... my Q98's are my essentially my piste skis and handle all but the deep stuff off piste. I do find them a bit hard going/need to be driven sometimes in crud and hard pack but it's a fun ski... the new QST should be ideal for you! Perhaps the Lumen or the Lux, which are lady specific versions of the QST99 and 92 respectively...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@PaulC1984, nice. Looks like they ski rather like my Bonafides.
snow report
@under a new name, thanks. Never been on the blizzards but only heard great things about them. I'm sure there maybe better pure off piste skis, but these are so poppy and fun. Love em Happy
snow conditions
thanks all-lots of good info/advice.
I suppose I'm thinking I might as well come away with a set of skis rather than renting for not much less (and ski carriage free to come back with Air canada)
like the look of the Blizzard pearl 88.
Am i right in thinking volkls would be stiffer and less fun??
snow conditions
It really depends on what your priorities are. Sounds like you like your off-piste but is that all you do?

If you only care about deep-powder skiing then you're going to want some fat skis to give you surface-area and lift you out of the powder more easily.

However, the downside of these skis is you can't angulate for poo-poo so those super-fun GS turns down early-morning groomers just aren't going to work the same. They also weigh a tonne so bumps will be hard work.

Another thing to bear in mind is, you can ski powder on anything, it's just a lot harder work on thinner skis because you have to lift the tips using leg-strength which will burn your quads. You also have to be a little more conscious of pace because you'll sink more easily into deep snow if you slow down.

If you're only going to have one pair of skis, I've always preferred an "all mountain" ski which is the jack of all trades. I did a full-season on a good pair of Rossi Experience 88s and they were just find for all the off-piste and trees I did but still thin enough to be fun on-piste and do my instructor 2/3 exams on.

My 2c.
ski holidays
Knee Deep wrote:
thanks all-lots of good info/advice.
I suppose I'm thinking I might as well come away with a set of skis rather than renting for not much less (and ski carriage free to come back with Air canada)
like the look of the Blizzard pearl 88.

Not sure if the Kenjas would be stiffer or not, the Blizzards are a fairly serious women's ski too. I think either would work for you as a true all-rounder with little compromise on Euro hard pack. But if you really wanted to optimise for Fernie then I would go for something a bit wider like the Black Pearl 98 or something more playful like the Line Pandora 95. My wife absolutely loves the Pandoras. They work well enough on firm piste as long as it's the grippy type. We just don't see enough ice out in BC to worry much about those conditions. It's mostly soft fresh snow, even if it doesn't snow for a week.
snow conditions
Koprich wrote:

However, the downside of these skis is you can't angulate for poo-poo so those super-fun GS turns down early-morning groomers just aren't going to work the same. They also weigh a tonne so bumps will be hard work.

Depends on the snow. If those groomers are on the soft side I actually prefer carving big GS turns on fatter skis and especially when those groomers get chopped up in the afternoon. Same goes for soft bumps. They're not all heavy either, there are loads of super light skis in the 95-100 range these days. I find them less hard work than my stiff SL carvers, which are not exactly light anyway. I agree that a ski like the E88 is a true all-rounder for someone skiing with "traditional" directional carving technique and spending a fair amount of time on hard pack, but not the most fun if you want to adopt a more surfy style.

I think for the OP it depends largely on whether she wants to get the most out of the Fernie powder or end up with a more versatile ski back in Europe. To me it would be a shame not to get on a great powder ski if the conditions are right.
snow report
uktrailmonster wrote:
Koprich wrote:

Depends on the snow. If those groomers are on the soft side I actually prefer carving big GS turns on fatter skis and especially when those groomers get chopped up in the afternoon. Same goes for soft bumps. They're not all heavy either, there are loads of super light skis in the 95-100 range these days. I find them less hard work than my stiff SL carvers, which are not exactly light anyway. I agree that a ski like the E88 is a true all-rounder for someone skiing with "traditional" directional carving technique and spending a fair amount of time on hard pack, but not the most fun if you want to adopt a more surfy style.

I think for the OP it depends largely on whether she wants to get the most out of the Fernie powder or end up with a more versatile ski back in Europe. To me it would be a shame not to get on a great powder ski if the conditions are right.

I'm talking about your 100+ under foot skis. They'll ride easy through slush and crud but you can't ski "well" on them. The fact that they're not camber greatly limits you also. I'm a bit anal about turning technique though and for your average holiday goer, maybe that's not a big deal.

It's like you say, it depends on what you like. If you only have 1 pair of skis and you want to be able to graceful, technical turns then anything above an 88 is going to start making your life hard but flip side of that is they'll make your life way easier in off-piste or when you want to just lazily blast through the crud on the way down at the end of the day.

Horses for courses.

In an ideal world, I'd have a pair of 88s and a pair of 100s. Both all-mountain so able to do a mix of things over the course of a day but at opposite ends of the spectrum so you can pick according to conditions.
ski holidays
Koprich wrote:
uktrailmonster wrote:
Koprich wrote:

I'm talking about your 100+ under foot skis. They'll ride easy through slush and crud but you can't ski "well" on them. The fact that they're not camber greatly limits you also. I'm a bit anal about turning technique though and for your average holiday goer, maybe that's not a big deal.

It's like you say, it depends on what you like. If you only have 1 pair of skis and you want to be able to graceful, technical turns then anything above an 88 is going to start making your life hard but flip side of that is they'll make your life way easier in off-piste or when you want to just lazily blast through the crud on the way down at the end of the day.

Horses for courses.

In an ideal world, I'd have a pair of 88s and a pair of 100s. Both all-mountain so able to do a mix of things over the course of a day but at opposite ends of the spectrum so you can pick according to conditions.

I mostly agree, but she was never talking about 100+ under foot - more like 90 which I think is fine for most recreational skiing. As for skiing "well" that doesn't necessarily mean carving clean technical SL/GS turns all the time. Skiing out in BC for over a decade has taught me a lot about different skiing styles and what skis work best for a more, shall we say, relaxed surfy style. I'm somewhere in the middle, having come from a traditional skiing background, but now tend to prefer wider more playful skis in most conditions. I'm not talking about full on Alaskan powder boards, but there are plenty of sub 110 mm skis that ski great on piste if you play to their strengths and make the off-piste a lot more accessible to an average skier. I've all but abandoned more traditional technical SL/GS style skis and don't really miss them except the odd time when it does get really icy. Maybe I don't ski well anymore, but I have a lot of fun in the process, lol!
latest report
uktrailmonster wrote:

but I have a lot of fun in the process, lol!

That's all that matters!
snow conditions
Knee Deep wrote:

The only Blizzard skis I have tried, were some Quattros. They were very damp and stable....but for my taste, were not enough fun. I swapped them for some Magnums, which gave me the fun factor I was missing.

I haven't skied modern Volkls, but from what I've read, on some models like the 90Eight, are stable, without losing the fun factor.
snow report
[quote="Old Fartbag"]
Knee Deep wrote:

I haven't skied modern Volkls, but from what I've read, on some models like the 90Eight, are stable, without losing the fun factor.

I've skied the Volkl 90Eight a lot over the last 2 seasons and really like it. Light, stable, fun, versatile. Surprisingly quick edge to edge for a near 100 mm ski too. There is a women's specific version too I believe. Worth a look for sure.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy