Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Photochromic Lenses

Poster: A snowHead
Are they worth the additional money??

Or would I just be paying over the odds for being lazy and not wanting to change lenses??

Thinking of the Scott Faze II with light sensitive bronze chrome lenses. Anyone use these?? On the other hand I'm tempted to splash out on some Oakley Flight Deck Prizm's!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My POC goggles have a photochromic lens (NXT) and find it works very well from flat light right through to bright sun. Saves having to think about lens choice in the morning. I often used to get caught out with normal lenses. Having used a photochromic lens for a couple of seasons now in every condition imaginable, I haven't once felt compromised by having a single lens. So yeah, worth it for me and I would do the same again.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, they are.

Use my Smith Red photochromic on bright days through to night skiing.

You can ignore any ridiculous comment about them not changing quickly enough... they change to meet overall conditions throught out the day. ( Quick transition is more useful for prescription photochromic glasses - when you go indoors after being outside, it's nice to have a quicker clearing lens... whereas a skier going in for a beer... can just take your goggles off. And p.s. i don't see these people who stop at the edge of the trees, change their lens, ski the trees, come out, stop, change the lens back again... domthese people exist?)

Julbo also do good (nxt) photochromic lenses - worth noting NXT/Trivex is superior to polycarbonate lenses.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
As above. Went for Julbo Zebra (NXT).
(They also do a lighter one - Zebra Light).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can anyone advise how these compare with Oakley Prism in flat light?

We spotted the video advert for the Prism in a sports shop in Les Menuires yesterday, in which the video showed their performance in flat light. They look impressive - but do they really work? For €170 I would hope so!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What are goggle lenses doing? In bright, clear conditions simply protecting your eyes and vision from UV and glare.

In flat light (being the biggest problem, I find) hopefully helping add some contrast through selective colour filtering.

I have no problem and sufficient experience to make the call before setting out on which lens I want. Sometimes the weather catches me out but not that often.

So for the quality of the contrast enhancement is more important.

So my current interest is not on controlling overall light transmission as I can do that myself, but on bad light performance, so while finding my current Smith low light as good as I’ve tried for that, I would be much more interested in testing the super selective tech behind Smith Chromapop and Oakley Prizm.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
What are goggle lenses doing? In bright, clear conditions simply protecting your eyes and vision from UV and glare.

In flat light (being the biggest problem, I find) hopefully helping add some contrast through selective colour filtering....

Partly. In my case at least they are also for keeping the wind and the snow out of my eyes and the cold away from my face.

---
I use photochromic goggles simply because I don't want to carry two lenses or two pairs. They're not for everyone.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@philwig, errr, don’t all goggle lenses do that?

I was merely outlining my personal rationale.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name wrote:

I have no problem and sufficient experience to make the call before setting out on which lens I want. Sometimes the weather catches me out but not that often.

I find the weather changes so quickly that it's often hard to predict and no single lens would cover the whole day optimally anyway. I've had many days where it starts off in fog and then lifts into bright sunshine within half an hour or the light is simply highly variable all day long. Of course you can carry multiple lenses around, but not having to even think about it is a real bonus.
As above I use a POC NXT variable lens goggle, but my wife uses Anon WM1 fixed lenses with the magnetic release. She has 3 lenses (bright, medium, flat light) and usually carries 2 of them with her on any day i.e. 1 spare in a pocket. She got caught out badly 1 day this season when the sun came out unexpectedly and she actually had to head back to the condo for her bright lens - she had gone out with a flat light lens and forgotten to carry a spare. Not a big deal in the overall scheme of things, but definitely a plus for variable lenses. Just one less thing to think about in the morning.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
One thing to note with photochromic lenses is that their range of light transmission is not quite as large as using dedicated flat light or sunny lenses. I can't remember the numbers, but there is definitely a compromise at both ends of the spectrum. But in practice this has never been a problem for me and subjectively I find the POC NXT as good as any dedicated lens in flat light or bright sunlight. I also prefer its neutral colour filtering, but that's another story.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
After getting frustrated with having to change goggles several times in a day recently, decided to give the decathlon photochromic a spin, as they were on offer and nice and cheap

Spent two days in them, ranging from flat light to bright sunshine, and realised at the end of the day I hadn’t even thought about my goggles all day as it hadn’t been an issue. That’s got be a sign that they work!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@MountainIdiot,
Good feedback!

I just bought some for my son - POC ones on sportpursuit reduced from 200 to 70. I'm going to try them out.
I never change lenses or take two pairs out - can't be bothered. I can manage with my compromise lenses in all conditions but there are times when I'm sure I could see better. I do have some that are a bit better in bright conditions but it can be hard to get right some days - sometimes cloud hangs around at midmountain and you go from fog to bright sun in a matter of minutes, other days the weather breaks
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jedster wrote:

I just bought some for my son - POC ones on sportpursuit reduced from 200 to 70. I'm going to try them out.

If they have POC NXT lenses I expect you will be impressed.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MountainIdiot wrote:
After getting frustrated with having to change goggles several times in a day recently, decided to give the decathlon photochromic a spin, as they were on offer and nice and cheap

Spent two days in them, ranging from flat light to bright sunshine, and realised at the end of the day I hadn’t even thought about my goggles all day as it hadn’t been an issue. That’s got be a sign that they work!

Would you have link or model number please
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
They seem to have stopped making my ones, think they were last years model hence the cheap price

G-TMAX 700 PHOTO -P MEN’S SKI AND SNOWBOARDING GOGGLES : http://www.decathlon.co.uk/Buy/2367485

I believe these are the current model
snow report
I quite like them (Bolle). I used to carry 2 pairs for changes of condition, no need to now. If you ski from shade into bright sunlight they take a while to adjust, but as has been said before, it's a lot quicker than stopping to change goggles/lenses.
snow report
Was out today and tried on some Oakley FD’s! I’m sold! Buying a pair ASAP! Anyone know the best/cheapest website?

Not on Sportpursuit.
snow report
Roscoe wrote:
Was out today and tried on some Oakley FD’s! I’m sold! Buying a pair ASAP! Anyone know the best/cheapest website?

Not on Sportpursuit.

Try Freeze Pro Shop...keep an eye out for flash sales.
ski holidays
Flight Decks ordered from igero.com with 20% off. So only £128 with next day delivery! Bargain!!
snow conditions
I've been very impressed with my Bolle photochromic goggles.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 30-01-18 17:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Likewise Bolle photochromic lens. Effective and comfortable for my face.

Find one that fits comfortably and sits well on your helmet (if you wear). Previously had a pair I bought online which squeezed my nose and were very uncomfortable (oddly Bolle too). The Oakleys were uncomfortable too.

Take your helmet to the shop and try some on. I felt like a tit but hey ho!
snow report
Another vote for the Bolle NXT Photochromic lens which is excellent....but (as said above), I found some models pinched my nose (ie. Gravity).
snow report
@hawkesbaynz, Did just this. Tried the FD's on with my helmet (they had one in store, so didn't need to bring along) and fit perfectly. Heading to L2A next week so looking forward to using them in anger.
ski holidays
I like the Bölle photochromic lens and have had two pairs. The only major downside is that with time the coating has started to suffer from small blemishes that resemble small cracks.

Just bought a pair of oakley flight decks with a jade glass.
http://greenlabel.com/interview-oakleys-robert-throop-discusses-prizm-color-technology-the-new-flight-deck-goggles-and-how-the-two-come-together/

Some goggle reviews here
https://www.switchbacktravel.com/best-ski-goggles
snow report
Hi, I've been following this thread with interest but I'm afraid I need to ask what is probably a stupid question.
https://www.igero.com/snow-goggles-c9/i-o-p19488?attribute[1]=195
In this ad for the smith io it says they are photochromic but it also says "Includes bright light and low light performance mirror lenses" . Is that correct? I was assuming if they are photochromic the whole point was to just have one lens.
Apologies for the newbie question.
snow report
@Scamper,

No not a stupid question at all

As can be seen from bolles website although they have 4 photochromic lenses they are slightly different e.g. the VLT's ranges differ.

VLT = Visible Light Transmission. Low VLT for sunny weather.

http://www.bolle.com/us/techno-masques-ecrans

More of an explanation here on VLT's colours etc here
https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/sunglasses.html

Oakley info here
http://www.kicksonfire.de/oakley-prizm-vlt.html
ski holidays
Thanks DB, that's really helpful - I'm making some progress in narrowing down what I want.

Next step - to work out the advantages of polarized version of photochromic.
ski holidays
Scamper wrote:

Next step - to work out the advantages of polarized version of photochromic.

As I understand it, The Bolle NXT Photochromic "Light Control" lens is part Polarized....this is to cut glare, but not to the extent that you can't recognize ice.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all the direct help and the comments along the way which were very useful. Anyway, went up this morning and it was too murky for my cat 3, polarised sunglasses (decathlon) and too bright for my yellow tinted low light goggles. Rather than giving up for the day I slid back down to 1600 and purchased a pair of Julbo Zebra Light Red. Immediate improvement and very happy with them - I await the next sunny day with interest as to how they will perform, they didn't have much changing to do today in the greyness.
No doubt I could have paid less online but I needed to be able to try on whatever I bought - I wear a "youth" helmet on my small head 😊 - that they had the ladies version on the shelf got them the sale.
latest report
Actually, same price online with precision ski so I don't feel bad at all about my emergency purchase. 😁😎 - happy bunny!
snow report
Scamper wrote:
Actually, same price online with precision ski so I don't feel bad at all about my emergency purchase. 😁😎 - happy bunny!

It's funny how finding what you have just bought, considerably cheaper somewhere else, somehow cuts the @rse out of your enjoyment. It shouldn't, but somehow it usually does. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Scamper wrote:
Hi, I've been following this thread with interest but I'm afraid I need to ask what is probably a stupid question.
https://www.igero.com/snow-goggles-c9/i-o-p19488?attribute[1]=195
In this ad for the smith io it says they are photochromic but it also says "Includes bright light and low light performance mirror lenses" . Is that correct? I was assuming if they are photochromic the whole point was to just have one lens.
Apologies for the newbie question.

I have a smith IOX pink photochrome chromapop lens. It's not as dark as a full on sunny lens, and not as light as the storm lens, but it does do a pretty good job of being an allrounder - I don't think I'd ever use a more sunny lens, though when it is poor vis, I do use the storm one.
ski holidays
Update on the Julbo Zebra Light Red - they've had a couple of days where I was able to see (lol) how they performed in changing conditions. From bright sunshine skiing down into the shade, then downwards through the clouds and fog with falling snow, and also, from bright open pistes, through into the gloom of tree-lined routes and back out into the sun - absolutely fabulous - they respond really quickly, faster than my old eyes are able to, probably. A measure of how good they are is that I'm pretty much unaware of them, in fact it's only the novelty of not needing to stop and change that causes me to think about them. The enhanced visibility has, I believe, also improved my skiing.
Ten out of ten for these things of beauty 😁😁
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy