Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Late season (April), where to go? Avoriaz an option?

Poster: A snowHead
Good evening Snowheads, it's been way too long since I've been on here, but growing kids and growing business haven't given me much time for holidays. Things are looking up though, so time to dust off the ski gear, and get back to mountains.

I'm looking at the 2nd week in April, def next year, and hoping for this one too.

Am I mad to consider Avoriaz, or is it high enough, that generally April is OK? or am I better with the likes of L2A or VT?

We are a group of 2 families, cruisey reds and blues fine for a few, good ski school for the kids (around 12/13 when we go) and ideally some stuff for a non skier and a little one (3/4 years old). Avoriaz looks great for the group, but I am very much open to suggestions.

Would like a catered chalet ideally, but would consider s/c. Budget is 'moderate to healthy' rather than poor or Rockerfella, if that makes sense.

Europe only please guys.

Thanks a million.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This is where we are going that week

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=134004&highlight=
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Avoriaz can be variable in April, I've had waist deep powder some years and pissing rain to the top of mosette others, however, the pistes are usually kept pretty well and the sunny afternoons are there to enjoy with a beer or two! Personally I wouldn't stay in avoriaz, a bit more apres and alot more restaurants in morzine
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you. I was thinking Avoriaz more for the non skier and the little one - they have the cool swim place.

VT does look the biz for the skiers, is there much for non skiers to do?

Cheers.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scandinavia is good that late. We did Trysil at that time last year. Not massive in size but They tend to have lots of easy blues and reds as well as other things to do. Also family orientated. Plenty of reports here if you search.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Maybe not a huge amount to do in VT, other than relax in a spa/pool. But is there all that much more to do in Avoriaz? Having had an Easter trip to Avoriaz & Morzine to compare against Easter trips to VT, VT gets my money.

And like @NickyJ, I'm very excited about the SFaB in April. Places are filling up fast, according to Admin's most recent post. There would certainly be children of similar ages and the accommodation fits your spec.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Avoriaz would be a good shout considering the younger members of the group as you have the Aquariaz water park, is reasonably easy to get around on foot and you can also use the Prodains gondola/free bus to Morzine to get out and about a bit.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Avoriaz is good fun in April, decent pistes in the morning, slushy in the afternoon.
Best goggle tan I ever had!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Avoriaz is good fun in April, decent pistes in the morning, slushy in the afternoon.
Best goggle tan I ever had!

Sounds like an April trip I once had to Chamonix - I can think of worse things than a few hours of decent pistes, then mess around and have fun with the kids in the afternoons.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm usually in Obergurgl at the end of the season and conditions are usually very good.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Avoriaz is my current 'go to' resort for Easter trips, mainly due to young family (kids 2 & 5). I personally find that it's perfect for what i want and the layout of the resort means that it's convenient to ride back to resort centre to check on family/kids as required.

I've been there the last 2 Easter hols, around 8th-15th April, and the wife and I also managed a cheeky long weekend there too last Jan. We're booked to go 6th April this year.

2 years ago the snow was excellent, with a good amount of snowfall during our 9days there. Last year, we were informed by a regular that the snow conditions were some of the poorest in the last decade, there was still good coverage on 80% of pistes, with them in good condition first thing, but quite slushy later in the day. The slush didn't bother us snowboarders though.

On the accommodation front, about 95% of it in Avoriaz is self catering apartments, and you have the choice of renting through the local accommodation provider https://www.pierreetvacances.com/gb-en/de_holidays-avoriaz or a private rental (airbnb, homeaway, etc.). There are some chalets in Avoriaz, but because there isn't very many and their proximity to the piste (usually a stones throw) they can be pricey IMO.

I hope this helps - feel free to ask if you have any specific resort questions and i'll try and help.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SHAP wrote:
Thank you. I was thinking Avoriaz more for the non skier and the little one - they have the cool swim place.

Cheers.

I'm off to Avoriaz for the first week of April with the little ones - it's their first time so having non-skiing activities was a key priority, and i think that they're better in Avoriaz than VT, with Aquariaz swimming, ice rinks and carousel. Plus the shorter transfer time was key when taking little ones too.

That said, I knew it was a bit of a gamble and looking at the webcams last year at the start of April, there was a serious melt going on! If I was looking at next year, I'm not sure I'd gamble with the second week of April - think I might be pushing my luck a little, and would go for VT. However, for this year, I think Avoriaz will still be in good nick as they've had so much snow this season that it would take a serious heatwave for it all to go by the second week of April.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

That said, I knew it was a bit of a gamble and looking at the webcams last year at the start of April, there was a serious melt going on! If I was looking at next year, I'm not sure I'd gamble with the second week of April - think I might be pushing my luck a little, and would go for VT. However, for this year, I think Avoriaz will still be in good nick as they've had so much snow this season that it would take a serious heatwave for it all to go by the second week of April.

Last year was exceptionally warm, however there was still plenty of snow on the hill the kids like to use for sledging in the centre of town. Ice rink was melted and closed for season. There's also a bowling alley (if you get desperate for activities). There were lots of little activities for the kids put on during the week we went that i didn't find out about til they actually happened, such as little mini skidoos in the centre of town - like the little kids go kart rings they have as fun parks here.

To put last year into perspective, I was comparing base depths at the weekend. The max base depth all season in Avoriaz last year was 160cm, reached mid-March - 3 weeks ago it was already at 190cm, and it's been regularly dumping weekly since then. I've got every confidence that conditions this year will be great. Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@giddyman, fair point.. and I was aware that looking at the webcams last year that it was probably the worst case scenario (and that we’d still be able to ski), hence why I still went ahead and booked anyway.

Loving the sound of the mini skidoos and go kart rings! Fingers crossed that they have them again for Easter this year!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@giddyman, Really useful, thankyou. The non skier (and little ones) are quite a big part of the decision. Have a fantastic trip. May see you there, certainly for 2019!
ski holidays
I've just booked for 7-14th April in Avoriaz.

Sometimes it's slushy, sometimes it dumps, but it's always idyllic. snowHead
ski holidays
In Morzine the same week with a general plan of getting up early and skiing through till the porridge gets too thick, then late lunch and beers in the sun.
ski holidays
Spotted this on Facebook and thought I would share for @Handy Turnip...

https://www.facebook.com/avoriaz1800/videos/1997267620315922/
snow report
I am considering Val d'Isere/Tignes myself for the first week of april, was sure Avoriaz and Morzine are too slushy at an early hour at that time. Now i know better, thank you guys
snow report
Love it!!! Cheers for sharing @giddyman, the kids are going to have such a good time in those!!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy