Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ladies combined

Poster: A snowHead
Currently running the 1st slalom leg, with Chemmy at Bib 28.

Why did Julio Mancuso ski in a tiara?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't expect miracles from Chemmy in slalom! But she did ok in the Combined at Salt Lake...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:

And why did Resi Steiger wear a pearl necklace. Clearly the Americans are going glammed-up for this event. Ballgowns in the downhill?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 17-02-06 16:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ah what a shame, the youngster Anne Sophie Barthet just went out, skied with her a lot when she was a few years younger Sad ... only 17
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pity there are two legs of slalom for Chemmy! The technical racers are really favoured by this format
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:

That was very bizarre wasn't it? And I am right to think that she wasn't wearing a helmet (I'm watching on a tiny screen so the picture is the not clearest!)? Is it common to ski slalom without head protection?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dave Burt wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:

That was very bizarre wasn't it? And I am right to think that she wasn't wearing a helmet (I'm watching on a tiny screen so the picture is the not clearest!)? Is it common to ski slalom without head protection?

She wasn't wearing a helmet, which isn't that unusual. Wearing a tiara, however, doesn't happen that often!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Resi Steigler wasn't wearing her tiger ears on her helmet though.

Julia Mancuso has worn the tiara before.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Originally posted in the wrong place but I cannot delete :

Overheard in Salt Lake City, 2002, from an overpaid British official- ' Oh it contains that stuff , REALLY"

Overheard in Sestrieres , 2006, from an overpaid British official ' Oh , I didn't think they were worth measuring .... '

Forget 'Eddie The Eagle', British Winter Sports Officials can put back the sport MUCH further. Just give them enough money .

Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chemmy disqualified? Anyone know anything more?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dave Burt, all I know at the moment is that her ski equipment was found to be "illegal"
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ski was too narrow according to the BBC website. 0.2mm under the limit.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Presumably that's a problem with illegal skis coming out of the factory? There's no "user setting" on width, as there is on ski base-boot height, is there?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar.org.uk, Surely it doesn't matter .. they should have been measured by TEAM GB officials ? Total incompetence ! What are the going to claim ' They Shrunk', 'We didn't know that'. 'Chemmy was using the dges to file her nails in the wait this morning' " Nah ... this is silly.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
eEvans, exactly, it's hardly Chemmy's job rolling eyes
ski holidays
Pretty poor i think building up for this event for 4 years , and they cant get the right width ski .(did they need a few more years to measure them) rolling eyes
snow report
eEvans wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk, Surely it doesn't matter .. they should have been measured by TEAM GB officials ? Total incompetence ! What are the going to claim ' They Shrunk', 'We didn't know that'. 'Chemmy was using the dges to file her nails in the wait this morning' " Nah ... this is silly.

I agree, you'd hope for more competent support from the service guys and officials.
snow report
Although.... SSGB press release has just come out suggesting they are not sure where the responsibility lies, and the blame at the moment is being (unofficially) lain at the door of the manufacturers. After all, you just don't expect them to actually make the skis the wrong size.

Plus the service man, perhaps should have taken a closer look, I don't know.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 17-02-06 19:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
PG, either way it's a crying shame - I've never measured mine to see if 63mm is actually 63 mm - you just assume it don't you? I thought she did a pretty good first run for a downhiller.
snow conditions
PG, If that is honestly what the SSGB is saying then EVERY party to that Press Release should be sacked imho. They should have been checked -- the inference that they were not even checked is ludicrous - almost beyond belief.

Let's blame the service man ??? You mean everyone other than those lining their own pockets with a vested interest in continuing working for SSGB ? If someone was Charged with doing the task ( Rather than 'Oh I thought that is what service men do') fair enough.
snow conditions
eEvans, I guess it's more likely to be the serviceman's job to ensure kit is legal than the Ch. Exec of SSGB?
ski holidays
Minimum width is 60mm, the race department version from a couple of years ago has a 63mm waist.

I guess they could have been a training pair that had been filed a lot, but you would be down to the sidewall on both sides if you took 3mm off.
latest report
The full text of the Snowsport GB press release in this prelilminary MySnowSports article.
snow report
Cannot blame the manufacturers. It is for the team to ensure that equipment meets the specified requirements, otherwise everyone would use skis narrower than regulations and then pretend that they assumed that the width was as stated on the specs listed on the manufacturers website.

Manufacturers of sports equipment are always making stuff that is not legal for top level competition.
snow conditions
Tony Lane, On race skis, the dimensions don't even match what is printed on the topsheet, never mind any specs on the website.
snow conditions
Reading the press release, the "can't be sure width is checked" comment is a bit weak. It either is or it isn't. If they don't know, who does?

So much for the rigorous checks introduced!

And I'm not keen on the performance director's comments about it being less important because she was off the pace. Wrong attitude, surely.
ski holidays
What with this following the Defago fiasco, can anyone explain why these measurements aren't officially checked before the run instead of after? Since everyone's kit is measured anyway, why can't they do it first and just say "go away and come back with legal equipment" if it fails? After all the racers themselves are probably the very last people to be responsible for such a minor infringement and 0.2mm clearly isn't a deliberate attempt to gain an unfair advantage
latest report
0.2mm is a quick pass over with a file. Realistically, wouldn't have changed the turn radius of her skis given the snow conditions. Interpretation of the rules. Sometimes it's down to whether you offer the Measurement Tech a cigarette(Allegedly). Little Angel
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PG wrote:
The full text of the Snowsport GB press release in this prelilminary MySnowSports article.

Am I reading that final paragraph right? If so it's staggering! They seem to be suggesting that it doesn't matter because she wasn't going to get in the top five anyway. Are they really trying to hide behind Chemmy's 'poor' performance?
snow report
Dave Burt, I had to read it twice as well. And double check the provenance. But it clearly says:
Quote:

Subject: Press Statement from SnowsportGB

Snowsport GB
Press Statement
Friday 17th February 2006
Sestriere Colle, Italy

So it's the genuine article. Amazing comment from Mark Tilston, considering.
snow report
eng_ch, that would be a far too intelligent and logical approach for the sport's governing body wink .
snow conditions
PG, eng_ch, This whole subject is getting a massive shake up. Initally we have been operating anonomously to protect the boot/ski techs but now we've come out of the woodwork. FIS has no choice but to listen to common sense, if they implement the test/regulation changes a fair few heads will roll.PG, I'd suggest you use your influence to cry cheat. Measurement is measurement and technicians stand to lose their jobs because of those at the final hurdle. I'm sure there were a few other skiers today below/above regulation, for whatever reason they slipped through the net. Little Angel
ski holidays
This is mad....

SSGB spend tax payers and sponsers money taking athletes around thw world....

The athletes spend sweat tears and risk of injury making themselves as good as they can be....

Then some id10t can't measure them properly and it all goes to waste....

0.2mm is a tiny amount, I guess you could take that off the edge with a small ammount of sharpening but surely measurement should be part of the ski tuning process ?

I feel really sorry for Chemmy all that effort to go to waste.

As another thought - why are there restrictions on the skis - so what if everyone ended up on skis shaped like hourglasses ?
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk, Yes much more likely but looking at PG's site , it does appear as if the PERFORMANCE DIRECTOR Mr Titson ( or was that up?) doesn't note what should be checked despite previous cock-ups.

Sorry guys , Try telling an engineer 0.2mm is 'not much'. I'm sure SZK can comment on the expansion etc of the composites involved.

PG PLEASE tell me you made that press release up ! I was genuinely joking about the nonsense that might be said before its release but to suggest 'It didn't matter!' We pay for this lot !

Time I had a beer seeing as the SSGB seems to be taking too many local mushrooms. snowHead rolling eyes
snow conditions
Dave Burt, PG, I can only assume that either Tilston or the SSGB PR guy was drunk to come out with something like that. That's effectively saying that none of our alpine squad should be there, so may as well go home now. Other than Alain Baxter's "bronze", and one fourth (in Are), how many of our alpine squad have got a top-5 finish in any FIS event in the last 25 years (i.e. back to Bartelski's 2nd)?

hodsonb, AFAIK it's an attempt to restrict the performance of the skis, in an effort to make them break before the skiers' legs do. The slalom skis length (165) and width (60mm), and height of base to boot and boot sole depth is designed to restrict the force that can be pulled in a turn (I thought there was a minimum turn radius as well, but checking up shows that there is a restriction for everything but slalom).
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Sometimes it's down to whether you offer the Measurement Tech a cigarette(Allegedly). Little Angel

Then they were still stupid as they should have made sure he was bought a carton. Shocked
ski holidays
Quote:
PLEASE tell me you made that press release up !
eEvans, I wish!
ski holidays
an utterly surreal statement I thought, how can they claim "We introduced a rigorous policy of ensuring all skis were measured" then "can't be sure that all skis are measured for width" rolling eyes Puzzled
ski holidays
eEvans, Unfortunatly true. We have these ridiculess tollerances, but we can work within them. If after, the Final Tech choses to apply more or less presure to the measuring device can and does depend on relationships. Imagine if you will, an English Technician relying on a Frenchie to take his measurements. History is against it and today the Final tech was....................French. By the way, i love the French and everything about France. Little Angel
ski holidays
I'm beginning to thing SSGB stands for Shambles, Shambles, Gobshite and Bungles .... I've reread that Press Release. There is no way that any professional PR or marketing person would release that ... forget what is actually said for a FORMAL release it should have been managed.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy