Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ABS Cannister and Activation Handle rental

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi There, I am travelling Argentière and was wondering if there is anywhere to rent a cannister and handle rather than taking my own through the airports. (Edinburgh and Geneva). Has anyone had any experience with rentals in Argentière or even with travelling through those 2 airports recently?

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've never had an issue when flying to Europe, therefore I always carry mine and avoid the need to rent.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers Charlie. I was thinking of packing the airbags, cannister and handle in ski bag and using the pack as hand luggage, is that what you would suggest?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've flown a few times with mine now. I get permission from the airline first, print off the data stuff from the ABS website and tell the people at check in.

My experience so far is that carriers insist that the full pack in kept together (but disconnected) in the hold bag
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks Mosha, do they tell you to pack together at check in or prior to the flight? I had an online chat with easyJet and they said I didn’t even need to notify them! Not sure the guy knew what I was talking about as I had to send him a link to their dangerous goods policy!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Scozz76, I always carried mine in my hold bags, with the canister and trigger disconnected in the bag, with copies of the ABS technical sheet for the canister and trigger, together with the IATA 2.3 data sheet. I also always notified the airline I advance, and asked for a note to place on my booking, and then notified the checkin person that I was carrrying a dangerous goods exception under the IATA regulations.

In the majority of cases the called either their supervisor or security person by phone. The only place I got what was effectively a “So what” was at Vancouver, where I guess the are very common.

I’ve also seen many carry the Airbag as carry on, but I assume without the canister and trigger. Whether they were renting, had the canister and trigger inthe airbag, or their hold luggage, I don’t know.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cool, thanks @PowderAdict I have messaged easyjet and have printed all the regs, IATA, EasyJey and the Geneva airport regs and will see what they say when checking the ski bag in. I heard from a friend that they had a couple of canisters confiscated at Basel so a costly process if they decide to take them off you!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Scozz76, they tell me that when they give me permission to take it.

EasyJet were great with me; the supervisor knew exactly what they were and said no problem in about 10 seconds. Jet2 were clueless, it took ages to sort it out.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have flown out of Edinburgh many times with a canister in my ski bag, always tell them and they know what they are - never an issue. Have had hassle in all the euro airports taking them back, especially Milan and most recently Basel where they were confiscated and left in lost and found - I will pick them up next week when I fly through Basel.

I had the IATA documentation, an email from Easyjet to say it was ok to travel with airbags, but as the french security tosser told me in Basel, it was his decision, which was NON!

I have continuously had issues in Eurozone, depends on the staff on the day, some know the rules most don't. When they see a canister of unknown contents they think bomb.

Anyway, my solution is now to leave the airbag in my regular ski resort and use an Avalung when I am skiing elsewhere. Can't be f&cked with the hassle anymore.

EDIT: I should add that I take backpack on plane, canister in hold luggage. In theory the canister is allowed as cabin baggage, but as EasyJet pointed out they don't control security so nothing they can do. If security say no, then it's a no. You will always encounter hassle at some point with an Airbag unfortunately.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 22-01-18 21:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@interpaul, thanks... What a shambles! This was what prompted the original post regarding rental as it sounds like complete hit or miss as to whether or not you get let on coming back to the UK.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Scozz76, I gave up an bought a Jetforce battery pack to avoid the hassle Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@PowderAdict, I don't blame you! Starting to wish I had gone down that route to be honest.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy