Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif mountain eateries

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, Just got a bargain for March 3rd. week to the Grand Massif. We've not done France for 10 years, preferring Austria and Switzerland, but a bargain's a bargain! Any Snowhead recommendations on huts where I can substitute my 9 euro Tyrolean Grostl with something similar but French! Puzzled snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@RWDLYN, Igloo at the top of the Bergin chairlift in Morillon gets good reviews, and the chalet on the right just before the bridge going down to molliets in les carroz does very nice hot chocolate, never eaten there however. The K which is new at the top of the les carroz gondola is also supposed to much better now, but again no personal experience.

Do a search on here as this has been asked before.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chalet D'Clair at the top of morillon is my favourite but you will not get much food for 9 euros there or anywhere in the GM. Maybe une assiette de frites! Probably over 5 euros for a hot chocolate now but the hot chocs at chalet d'clair are the best as they have massive marshmallows, Chantilly etc! A meal in themselves! L'Igloo is run by the same family as chalet d'clair.

There is a creperie, L'beu at the bottom of the sairon blue in Morillon that is also very good and is reasonably priced.

in Flaine I like le pente a jules but it is expensive. L'anfionne in Les Carroz is nice.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another vote for L'Beu. If you eat in the outside snack area (to the left and above the main restaurant) then you can get 2 large sausages and a big portion of chips for €6.50. There is plenty for two people, which makes it amazing value.

The both the restaurant (upstairs) and snack area (downstairs) of the Brasserie de Saix at the bottom of Marmottes piste in Samoen are good value and good quality.

Haven't eaten at the K at the top of the Carroz gondola, but their chocolate and coffee is excellent, and the welcome is warm. Amazingly, this is the third season since the new people took over.

Brasserie de Cimes in Flaine is also very good, but in Flaine Forum rather than up the mountain.

Where are you staying?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for that info. Staying in Les Menuries. Do you know if the lifties in the region are ones for wanting you to take off your rucksack before getting on chairlifts, as I've heard that this is the case in France?? Puzzled
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@RWDLYN, they are pretty keen on asking you to swing your rucksack round in France, so you don’t run the risk of it catching on the back of the seat, although there is often just a sign with that request. Over in the PDS it was particularly so after the tragic incident of a young British boy dying on a chairlift in the Chatel area when his rucksack got caught.

Hope you find some good food.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@RWDLYN, do you mean Les Menuires??? That's the 3V and not the GM...
So far your restaurant recommendations have been for the GM!

FWIW-lifties do sometimes request you remove your rucksack, or if they don't, there are often signs. It's down to you...but bear in mind that it was only last year that an english lad died after his backpack was tangled in the chairlift http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/08/grammar-school-pupil-died-alps-trip-backpack-became-stuck-ski/
I tend to, just because it's more comfy. Mr P doesn't, but his backpack is small and doesn't have lots of stray straps.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@RWDLYN, did you mean the resort Les Menuires, or accommodations called Les Menuries?

In the Grand Massif, strictness on rucksacks varies, no need on the newer lifts, but (rightly) strict on the older ones where a rucksack can get caught.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+1 for Chalet d'Clair as well. Great food, good specials and soups. Kids menu is excellent as well. New K Lounge at the top of LC is good as well. Food and service have improved as the new people have settled in. Mind you I do miss the older chap who used to run the bar. He was great with our kids.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quite often eat at le Blanchot above Flaine. Big portions. Gammon steak and chips rather nice, esp. as gammon steaks hard to find out here Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@under a new name, I still remember having quite the best lamb chops, really pink, at le Blanchot years ago, and their onion soup takes some beating.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sj1608 wrote:
@RWDLYN, did you mean the resort Les Menuires, or accommodations called Les Menuries?

In the Grand Massif, strictness on rucksacks varies, no need on the newer lifts, but (rightly) strict on the older ones where a rucksack can get caught.

Bah, sorry brain fade 3V is our Jan 2019, we're at Samoens
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@RWDLYN, Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another one for Blanchot, in Flaine...fantastic food
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for all the tips, hopefully we'll brave the Beast from the East, and fly out of Manchester on Sat morning! Shocked
snow report
Haven't been for a few years, but we always used to have lunch at Le Bissac in Flaine, it's on the piste at the bottom of the Grand Van lift and Bissac drag. They do a very good Tartifilet, it's a self serve place , one serving will be enough for two ( might need a slice of cake also) at lunch Very Happy
snow conditions
Hello hello, can anyone recommend a nice restaurant where 12 of us can reserve a table for lunch (with table service)? Easy to make the reservation would be a bonus as well. We stood in the self service queue for an hour today at the top of the Platiéres Confused
ski holidays
Assuming you mean in Flaine then try Blanchot as mentioned above. It's at the junction of Serpentine and Crystal junction. No idea how to reserve but look it up or go in person. Same for Epic as also mentioned above. Both v good in my opinion. Life should be a bit quieter tomorrow.
snow report
Ah marvellous. Wasn’t sure if le Blanchot was non-self-service. Thank you.

Also - does anyone know the name of the restaurant where you pick up a piste-side phone and they come and pick you up?
snow report
@Jenniper, ??? It is non self service!
ski holidays
What is this ”tartifilet”? Steak with cheese and potatoes on top?
ski holidays
ian999 wrote:
@Jenniper, ??? It is non self service!

What? That’s why I asked!

We made to Refuge du Lac du Gers today via the quadcat and had a very nice lunch.

Le Blanchot tomorrow!
latest report
Good God ! What on Earth is the lift system here like!! No fast,heated chairs,no canopies,fibre glass bubble gondolas smaller than a shower cubicle. I thought all stuff like this had been sold to Serbia!
latest report
That Vercland Egg is hilarious!
ski holidays
Blanchot +1.
Also, the place down at the bottom of Molliets whose name I forget, is good.
And the Milk Hotel (Bois de la Char as was) at the bottom of Timalets in Les Carroz is great for a snack and an afternoon beer if the weather's good.
snow report
RWDLYN wrote:
Good God ! What on Earth is the lift system here like!! No fast,heated chairs,no canopies,fibre glass bubble gondolas smaller than a shower cubicle. I thought all stuff like this had been sold to Serbia!

Just as well you didn't go three years ago. Three old lifts have recently been replaced!
latest report
@RWDLYN,

just back from Flaine today - arrived last Saturday. Now I really like Flaine, very compact, varied and a good place to go with a mixed ability group. I would however agree that in the conditions experienced on Saturday and Tuesday, the lifts and the condition of some of the pistes did let it down a bit.
snow report
We loved the Vercland Eggs - back to the 70s. Also I cant remember the last time we rode a 2 man chair (Lindars Nord), but we even saw a one person chair in Les Carroz and Ive never been on one of those ever!

Had a great meal at Le Blanchot last Friday - lovely staff. We asked if we needed a reservation after 2pm (could see that there was no chance before then) and they just smiled and said "dont worry there will be a table for you then" - couldnt fault the service or the plat du jour Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh and Le Molliets was also excellent - absolutely rammed but they found us a table and again the service was ridiculously good (and very smiley) - I had a very nice boeuf bourgignonne (which spoiled my tea!)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy