Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jacket suggestion: PeakPerformance jacket vs Arcteryx vs mammut

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
need to change my insulated jacket.
In the market now though it's just shell, which means 4 layers instead of the current 3. I might consider switching to something Arcteryx Atom + shell, but for the moment I might consider these lightly insulated jackets

http://www.peakperformance.com/se/en/jackets-coats/mens-teton-2-layer-ski-jacket-G26237028.html

what I dont like: the neck (too high) and the zip on the shoulder instead of forearm

alternatives would be:
https://arcteryx.com/es/en/shop/mens/shuksan-jacket
but i dont like the lack of pocket on the chest

last:
https://www.mammut.com/p/1010-24791-...mo-jacket-men/
not crazy about their colours, but it has all the things I want

experience with any of the above brands? recommendations? or should i abandon the idea of insulated jkt?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@lorcar, personally, I switched to a shell in about 1999 and would never go insulated again for skiing. I do have two much appreciated down jackets for town wear.

Why 4 layers? Or doI misunderstand? My standard works in most conditions is, breathable tshirt, light insulated layer, Atom jacket and shell (which is 4 Happy ). Colder days that’s not quite enough without a pack, mostly it’s fine. I have a couple of down or synthetic gilets one of which usually lives in my pack.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks
i said 4 because right now i have Patagonia Capilene + Patagonia R1 + lightly insulated goretex jacket. If the latter becomes Atom Hoody + Shell, it becomes 4...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@lorcar, yep, go for a shell. More flexible in my view (how could it not be?)

Also, the Atom range are just amazingly (IME) performant. Other brands have similar which I am sure are as good.

But Arc’teryx usually delivers...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would echo everything said here so far. Definitely stick with a shell. Aside from anything else, fairly quickly you will need to wash the jacket and reproof the DWR layer. Easiest and most effective way to do that is by washing it in ... which you can’t do if the jacket is insulated.

So, much more flexible and just easier to go with a shell and various layers to suit different conditions. For me, I go with the Atom 99% of the time (but I don’t feel the cold) and very very occasionally go with a down insulated layer if it’s below 20.

And, last but not least, I’d say go with Arcteryx. Tried a few other brands but, sooner or later, something goes wrong. Arcteryx kit is expensive but it’s bulletproof and lasts forever.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have an Arcteryx shell and have had another (non ski) jacket from Mammut. No personal experience of Peak Performance. Aside from some wear on one pocket from rucksack straps, I have no real wear on my Arcteryx jacket after 4 years of use several weeks/year. Mammut jacket also wore well but had less use so can't really compare directly.

I only have 3 layers including shell on the vast majority of days. Merino baselayer, shell and then a midlayer of varying weight/warmth (thin gilet-down midlayer) depending on conditions. One being the Arcteryx Procline Comp which I got last year and is a ski specific version of the Atom AFAIK.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Blackblade, yep.

The other half had some weird wear on her last Arc jacket, 5 years old, so about 300wear days.

Arc’teryx don’t use the same fabric, but would have repaired for free. Instead she got a new €600 jacket for €160.

That’s pretty sharp service!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arcteryx are king when it comes to quality.

I carry my skis on my shoulder all the time and there is no wear at all.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If I had a warranty problem (which can occur with any outdoor garment with hard use) I would want Arcteryx. Some disgruntled ex customer may come on and disagree, but everyone I know or have heard of has been more than satisfied with the Arcteryx warranty. The only manufacturer with the same or better reputation is Patagucci.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
HammondR wrote:
If I had a warranty problem (which can occur with any outdoor garment with hard use) I would want Arcteryx. Some disgruntled ex customer may come on and disagree, but everyone I know or have heard of has been more than satisfied with the Arcteryx warranty. The only manufacturer with the same or better reputation is Patagucci.

+1
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have had two 3 year plus Arcteryx jackets repaired for free, when I was responsible for damaging them. They also seem to fit me better than anything else that I have tried. I only buy them in summer sales though.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I also have an Atom sv, no longer made, which is my go to winter coat, and an Atom Lt, which I use in summer. Sv was replaced by Ar. Don't buy the Lt for skiing.
I would get another at the drop of a hat.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have the Mammut shell jacket and salopettes. Very nice. Two issues - no lift pass pocket on the sleeve and pesky metal hooks on the bottom of the salopettes that always go between your shin and ski boot. I can't quite bring myself to cut them off.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thanks guys, it seems you all agree. Even though so far i never felt i was overdressed with the insulated jacket, perhaps because i dont ski in april, but usually December-March. I used to have a fleece over the first layer capilene and some times i found it too much. But must say that with the R1 instead (on top of Capilene) i am perfect. Also, when i say "insulated" it is not heavy down, but synthetic light insulation as the 3 above.
I have no idea how the Peak Performance are, i liked the jacket, but the zip were not supersmooth and also the sleeve zip on the shoulder it doesnt look very practical.
The Arcteryx looks very refined and pleasant, but how can you miss the chestzip on a €600 jacket???

also, Arcteryz has terrific shells, but not all of them have sleeve pocket AND chest zip. I think only the Sidewinder model has both, not the Cassiar nor Sabre
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy