Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fat skis to hire ? test in St Anton

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I thought I'd asked this before but I can't find it in my list of posts. When I was in Tignes at Xmas, the hire shops that I looked in, had a fairly limited selection of offpiste skis, those that I did take out, Rossi Sky 7 HD were very disappointing on piste and barely any better than my piste skis offpiste. I had thought of just buying a pair of heavily discounted, last years, Head Venturi 95s but having been so disappointed with the Rossis, I don't feel like shelling out any cash without testing.

Off to St Anton on Friday, how good is the selection of test skis in the shops there? which is the best shop? and what time of day / week is best to catch the shop with most stock returned?

Also, my skiing style really doesn't suit wide skis, having skied on skinnies for the past 30+ years, are there any recommendations for offpiste instructors that can teach me how to use them?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@tangowaggon, Jennewein usually has a good selection of off-piste skis to hire at about €35 / day. There's the shop near the lift in town and also the smaller shop at Galzig top station where they also keep a stock of wider skis.

For a bit of instruction you could just join a Piste-to-Powder open group and mention your requirements to the guide. Or, mention this when you book the session.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jennewein way better than most of the others. Look for Black Crows, Blizzard Cochise, maybe Nordica Enforcer 100 and the Head Kore 105 is amazing for a mainstream ski but I think you said you don't like them.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Dave of the Marmottes, I'm coming to the conclusion that I am definitely a two ski quiver skier, if I do find a ski that is a lot more fun offpiste than my iRallys, I'm still going to enjoy the iRallys more on hard snow, part of what I didn't like about the sky7s was the torque and twisting that I felt in my boots purely from the leverage of the wider ski which will be the same with any wide ski on a hard surface. I'd even be tempted to try a shorter length in the preachers as I've always preferred a ski shorter than recommended for my size.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Forget the weird feeling. Concentrate on tiping the skis as much as possible and adjusting to the width and slow down and smear/ pivot a bit to start. Then ramp it up as you get used to the edge being slightly offset from where it is on you reg skis. And avoid hard pack and anything but soft surfaced groomers to start with. If you go out on an overnight refrozen groomer you'll have a bad time. Take a race ski out then.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Jennewein also have DPS skis for rent, thinking I'll take a pair of those for a spin one day Gary.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh well! bit of an update, I just won some Venturi 95s on Ebay at a price that I could move them on again without much loss, it looks like it was a snowhead that was selling them. I'll see how they go on Saturday and might still take some demos out, they're only the fourth pair of skis I've bought in >20 years
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
tangowaggon wrote:
Oh well! bit of an update, I just won some Venturi 95s on Ebay at a price that I could move them on again without much loss, it looks like it was a snowhead that was selling them. I'll see how they go on Saturday and might still take some demos out, they're only the fourth pair of skis I've bought in >20 years

You could have bought this season's version of the same ski from Glisshop for slightly less than you paid. Having said that they are pretty much brand new skis & I hope you have fun with them.
I'm going fatter this season (due to monster snow quantities Madeye-Smiley ) - I tried for the Venturis, they look like great skis, on snowHeads (but was out-bid). Now waiting on the delivery of some Cham 97s for the Pre-BB!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Hossdoc
The gliisop skis were £320 with bindings and they only had 191s which are too long for me, if anything I would have gone for 171s if I had the choice, I'm happy to lose some stability at speed for responsiveness and a shorter radius but the 181s will give a little more float.
On paper, the venturis are as close as I'll get to a one ski quiver, a fatish ski with a shortish turn radius.
Much as I had dissed the WD preachers at the oktobertest, they were the 189s with a 19m radius, the 169s have a 14m radius which, to me is a completely different ski once it's on edge so I might try the 169s if I get the chance.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy