Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Taking the Train to Austrian Resorts

Poster: A snowHead
I want to take my wife skiing for First week of February.
After pictures of a plane trying to land on last nights news she has now decided that she wont fly on this holiday.

So I'm looking at taking the train to Austria .... its quite interesting and it looks like it could be quite an adventure.

Starting point will be St Pancras on Friday 2nd Feb.

Any hints and tips .. good resorts with good rail connections.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quite a long train ride. And quite a few trains to get there.
Fewest changes is probably Eurostar to Brussels, ICE to Frankfurt, then there's 2 Eurocity per day from Frankfurt one of which calls at Radstadt and Schladming, while the other calls at Bad(hof)gastein (and maybe some other resorts along the same lines).
Night train gives more ski resort options, like St.Anton, Innsbruck, Zillertal etc. with fewer changes than the normal daytime services.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Be interested in how this prices up when you get to booking.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Given the size of their UK market, I’m surprised the Austrian tourist board hasn’t worked something out with the train cos already. Slap a few couchette cars on the end of a weekend night train and Fritzl’s your uncle!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Done this a few times to Salzburg. A pleasant relaxing, but long, journey. Two routes we have used:

1 Eurostar to Paris on Friday evening. Late dinner and hotel near Gare de L'Est. Then morning train to Salzburg via Stuttgart. Arrives Salzburg mid afternoon.

2 All in one day: Early (06.57) Eurostar to Brussels. Then Train to Salzburg via Frankfurt and Munich. Arrives Salzburg 6.58pm. Use www.bahn.de to book and you may be able to get a Sparpreis Europa fare that starts from €59.90 one way, including the Eurostar part. Prices go up as you get nearer, so you have missed the cheapest tickets, but they are currently available for €129.90 one way pp Standard on Sat 3 Feb

Deutsche Bahn treat Salzburg as being part of Germany for train tickets, so if Sparpreis Europa tickets are not available, there are still other deals available:

https://www.bahn.com/en/view/offers/europe/saver-fare-europe.shtml?dbkanal_007=L04_S02_D002_KIN0060_ST-SPARPREIS-EUROPA_LZ01

A €60 premium gets you First Class (the premium is smaller than it looks as it includes a seat reservation, which you have to pay for in Standard).

From Salzburg you can get train, bus or taxi to lots of resorts - easiest to get to is Zell am See which is on direct train, from where you can easily go to Saalbach, for example.

For all things train it is hard to beat this site: https://www.seat61.com/

There are lots of other options via Zurich or Innsbruck as well, but I have not done those.

If booked early, and using the various deals, the train option can be surprisingly inexpensive and is a pleasant way to travel.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@ALQ, done that in the old days - snowtrain direct from Calais to St Anton. Very pleasant. Modern times are a bit more of a hassle - but could still be fun, though you won't get direct to St Anton.

Quote:
1. Eurostar from London to Brussels
2. ICE or Thalys from Brussels to Cologne
3. NightJet sleeper train from Cologne to the Austrian Tirol
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
achilles wrote:
@ALQ, done that in the old days - snowtrain direct from Calais to St Anton. Very pleasant.

I had no idea such a (direct) service ever existed. Sounds brilliant. So much for ‘the age of the train’.
At E200-240 return (+family discount), I reckon they could fill a direct sleeper service over the winter.
Also, I’ve never understood why they haven’t started sleeper services from London.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just been looking again at Bahn.de booking system. There are some quirks and it is not coming up with the return for Salzburg. However, use the links on the relevant London to Salzburg page on the seat61 website (where it says “how to buy tickets”), booking each leg separately, and you can do outward on Sat 3 Feb for €129.90 and return the following Sat for €69.90. Not too bad really.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers Guys or Gals...
I looked into it earlier today and I was surprised to find out how in expensive it was ...

I spotted the route that @rg1 recommended
Via Bruxelles and Frankfurt to Salzburg,
even 1st class is just a wee bit more.

I'm going to be looking int this a bit harder this evening,
thinking of an overnight in Salzburg then on to Zell am See or even Leogang in the morning.

Must touch base with tatmantours to see if he has got anywhere to stay in Saalbach.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Must touch base with tatmantours to see if he has got anywhere to stay in Saalbach.

Not until 17th March, but I will ask my coterie of ex-pat apartment owners here.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cheers @tatmanstours,

I'm having trouble actually going as far as booking a train ticket..
It all looked great at first ... but its not working out now Sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ALQ wrote:
Given the size of their UK market, I’m surprised the Austrian tourist board hasn’t worked something out with the train cos already. Slap a few couchette cars on the end of a weekend night train and Fritzl’s your uncle!

I’m interested in this and wonder if the UK market is indeed that big in Austria. The reason being that after booking up for this season’s trip ther (returning after 5 years going to Scandinavian countries) I’ve found many of their websites in German only, including ski schools. I avoid any that don’t as I figure that I probably won’t be able to communicate with them when I get there.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DrLawn wrote:
cheers @tatmanstours,

I'm having trouble actually going as far as booking a train ticket..
It all looked great at first ... but its not working out now Sad

look at inter railing cards?
or even flixbus? you can get a bus to Munich from london.. takes about 24hrs though
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rg1 wrote:
Just been looking again at Bahn.de booking system. There are some quirks and it is not coming up with the return for Salzburg. However, use the links on the relevant London to Salzburg page on the seat61 website (where it says “how to buy tickets”), booking each leg separately, and you can do outward on Sat 3 Feb for €129.90 and return the following Sat for €69.90. Not too bad really.

interrailing card is about 235 euro for travel 5 days within 15 days.
Ok he would need to get out of the UK for it to be valid as it is not valid in your home country.
But it may give better flexibility... especially if a train is missed!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Mr.Egg, I'm still playing with this.

I'll have to try and sort out think link that @rg1 found ... that looks very interesting

The best I can find at the moment is:
Friday 2nd 8:54 St Pancras to Bruxelles Midi returning Sat 10th for £148
Then BruxMidi 12:25 to Salzburg Returning Sat 10th for £218
So for the two of us its a grand total of £731...

Lets look at that Saturday date you came up with.

That seat61 guy has a very interesting site! Smile
latest report
bambionskiis wrote:
ALQ wrote:

I’m interested in this and wonder if the UK market is indeed that big in Austria. The reason being that after booking up for this season’s trip ther (returning after 5 years going to Scandinavian countries) I’ve found many of their websites in German only, including ski schools. I avoid any that don’t as I figure that I probably won’t be able to communicate with them when I get there.

Do the websites not have English Google translate? I wouldn't worry about communication in reality. I have found websites not to be as whizzy as English sites but English is common in the ski school offices in Flachau
ski holidays
Quote:

Do the websites not have English Google translate?

I can't remember the last time I logged on to an Austrian website that didn't have an English language option, or a union jack to click on.
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, me neither to be honest but they are sometimes google translate rather than professional translations
ski holidays
Thanks @rg1 I've been looking at the Bahn.de site, and i can indeed get there for €130

But I'm not having any luck with the return part, even trying to book separately the best I can do is get a price back to Bruxelles for some reason at €70, but the train dosn't get me back to Brux in time for the last Eurostar at 19:52 Crying or Very sad
But this has been an interesting exercise if nothing else !

Now lets consider driving down...
snow report
It's a shame DB gave up on the idea of running trains thru the tunnel between St.Pancras and Frankfurt.
Would have been very convenient for me, and more opportunities to get to ski resorts with only 1 change. London-Munich would have been better still, but I don't think that was ever part of the plan (although Frankfurt-Munich by ICE is pretty regular).
snow conditions
You can get back from st anton leaving as late as 1057 going via Zurich and Paris.

Would allow access from ishgl and other places thereabouts as well.

I'd imagine it might be quite dear.

I also did the Calais train back in the day. Funny how the future is not so bright that I'm wearing shades.

Another route I've used is via one of the German sleeper services from cologne which requires a Eurostar to Brussels followed by ice.
snow conditions
DrLawn, try this link for the return journey:

https://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/e?S=Salzburg&Z=LONDON&V1=Brussels%20South%20Stn&time=07:40&&subid=$subid$

Saturday 10th gives me a €69.90 to London, leaving Salzburg 0800, arriving London 2103.
snow report
And this link for the outward journey:

https://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/e?S=LONDON&Z=Salzburg&V1=Brussels%20South%20Stn&time=06:00&&subid=$subid$
snow conditions
Rg1, you are a star, as well as a train spotter .... !

Now all I have to do is "book em dano!"

I'll let you know how I get on
snow conditions
pendodave wrote:
...I also did the Calais train back in the day. Funny how the future is not so bright that I'm wearing shades...

I remember the song, unfortunately, but now you’ll have to wear shades to keep the pollution from burning your eyeballs Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Hi @rg1,
This looks very good, I think I'll leave it till tomorrow to sleep on it.
I cant understand why it only works if I do it separately,
I'd like to think I can get both booked together.

But its quite exciting.
snow report
Hi @rg1, thanks for that,l all sorted and booked So I'm looking forward to a trip to Zell am See with an overnight stop over in Salzbourg. 1st Class.

I'm just a bit worried about a short connection time Frankfurt ... I'm guessing I'm on the same platform, but there is no slack for delays.
ski holidays
how short is "short" ?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Andy, I've got 6 mins to change trains in Frankfurt Airport.
But its not the end of the world if I miss it there are more trains going that way.
snow conditions
For future reference, or others thinking of doing the same, Snow Carbon reckon London -> Brussels -> Cologne and then sleeper train from there to the Austrian Tirol resorts.

https://www.snowcarbon.co.uk/train-guides/eurostar-nightjet
ski holidays
Ah Frankfurt Airport, not Hauptbahnhof.
Assuming both trains are from Flughafen Fernbahnhof, then so long as there's no delay, it ought to be fine. There's 2 pairs of platforms, so either step across the platform to the other train, or wait 2 minutes and it'll be the next one in on the same side of the platform.
If you need to swap between Fernbahnhof and Regionalbahnhof, then good luck.

Hauptbahnhof would more than likely mean walking all the way to the main concourse, work out what platform and then sprint.
latest report
Hi @kieranm .... I think we've met in the fridge a couple of seasons ago?
I've booked just about everything I need today including a Hotel in Zell, its much more expensive than taking a package deal but its an eye opener.

Hi @andy seems like you must be an expat ... who knows the airport, thanks! I'm lucky enough to be going in and out on adjacent platforms (I think) its either Gleis 4 & 5 or 5 & 6 cant remember.

I'm going to look at this seriously for making a summer trip and take bikes, I'll probably take the night train then.
ski holidays
tatmanstours wrote:
Quote:

Do the websites not have English Google translate?

I can't remember the last time I logged on to an Austrian website that didn't have an English language option, or a union jack to click on.

I know, it’s wierd. Perhaps it’s an obertauern thing then and maybe most of their clients are locals/Germans . Ive scoured pages for UJs and translate buttons to no avail. I’ve found it with ski hire and accommodation (the tourist info site is great though). Nice to know it’s spoken widely in resort though. Sorry, back to thread
latest report
@DrLawn, yup. live 20 mins bus ride away.

and I think 4+5 and 6+7 are the Fern (long distance) platforms. 1-3 are local ones.
snow conditions
Found this theead interesting as I have often wondered about going via train with the family but have always found it cheaper (and tbh easier) to just book a flight or package.

What does it end up costing? Are those prices volatile in the way that flights are? Ie booked early are cheaper?

Ps Sorry for the hijack!
latest report
There's an overnight service from various cities in Germany to various ski resorts in Austria. Out on a Friday night, back on a Saturday night.
https://www.schnee-express.com/

Not sure the best way from the UK - could do Eurostar to Brussels then Thalys to Köln and pick up the snow train there but there might be a better way.
snow conditions
DrLawn wrote:

I'm going to look at this seriously for making a summer trip and take bikes, I'll probably take the night train then.

Check eurostar conditions on bikes, they're not like normal trains in that respect, and there are occasional rule changes too, so can't tell you off hand what the current conditions are.
ski holidays
It is easy from Amsterdam ...with Deutch ICE

You may want to look into a cheap flight to Amsterdam then train ...

It may work out a lot cheaper
ski holidays
Eurostar you need to check bikes in I think?
Thalys? no idea
TGV I think are OK if they fit in a bike bag that meets the right dimensions (most don't).
DB ICE won't take bikes (unless it s folding bike in a bag that will meet normal luggage dimensions).
DB IC/EC has space for 16 bikes in either the front or the rear carriage (at least that was the case on the Frankfurt-Graz train).

Rofl@recommending a cheap flight to someone that doesn't want to fly. Eurostar will be the cheapest leg of the journey IME.

Check City Night Line - they serve several ski resorts.
ski holidays
ALQ wrote:
achilles wrote:
@ALQ, done that in the old days - snowtrain direct from Calais to St Anton. Very pleasant.

I had no idea such a (direct) service ever existed. Sounds brilliant. So much for ‘the age of the train’........

Time at St Anton was tight when we were returning home. Half of us stayed outside whilst we loaded baggage and skis through to our friends on the train. The train moved off whilst we were still on the platform - and we had to run along side and then leap on. Fortunately no interlocking doors then - on that train anyway.Health and safety? Different world in those days.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy