Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best cost efficient base layer

Poster: A snowHead
Morning all,

I’m away in March and haven’t skied in a few years so need to get a couple of base layers.

Wondering where everyone gets there’s/ what’s the best bang for you’re buck.

I see sports pursuit have Helly Hansen long sleeve tops for 14.99- was going to get them unless someone has a better deal!

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Aldi or Lidl Merino
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@BlueBird13, that's a pretty good deal on HH - I'd go with it. Get good base layers, they're worth spending money on
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
These are decent value and they are compression so I find help the legs

FDX Mens Super Thermal Compression Base Layer Leggings Cold Wear running trouser (Black/Red, Large) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019WQ3BJE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_JkZyAbQAEAM3K?tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The HH looks a good deal. Decathlon Wedze stuff is also worth a look.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you want merino wool base layers (and a lot of people really like them) the Decathlon TechWool base layers are £20...

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/techwool-155-mens-merino-wool-base-layer-dark-grey-long-sleeve-id_8284498.html

I prefer my Decathlon wool base layers to my more expensive ones made by AlpKit.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sports direct have top & bottoms for £30
https://www.sportsdirect.com/helly-hansen-trocken-dry-set-mens-402157?colcode=40215752
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good deal on HH. Dont know about recent stuff but I have had a HH top (high coller with half zip) for years and its still going.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My best value base layer is Aldi merino - I wear it to ski in winter and sail in summer. Was cheap as chips and a pretty colour. But not for sale all the time - you have to hit the store on the right day!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
M&S do merino stuff that looks OK for about £25. My daughter loves hers from Mountain Warehouse and they were very cheap. The really colourful ones with hoops. I don't know if the adult ones are the same quality.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
musher wrote:
M&S do merino stuff that looks OK for about £25. My daughter loves hers from Mountain Warehouse and they were very cheap. The really colourful ones with hoops. I don't know if the adult ones are the same quality.

I use Nike compression as first layer then MW top over that. They're pretty decent, I've a couple of jumpers that have done a season and a bit. Their merino stuff is also nice, BUT IT SHRINKS (I wash merino @ 20deg on a wool wash) and is a smaller fitting than the non-merino.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks everyone.

I’ve had HH gear before and I knew it was great quality.

Never tried Merino stuff so I’ll check that out at the local Aldi!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@BlueBird13, there are just the last few sizes of the merino stuff left, so also check their website which offers free delivery. We were able to get something from there where they hadn’t the right size in our local store.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I can't wear wool, so merino's out - but I don't find that I suffer.
Decathlon thermals have a lot going for them (several options, all good value; I like the very basic black ones, Mr G goes for the more costly coloured ones).
On the top I'm a great one for T-shirt first (= cut sleeves off cheap thermal top from Decathlon or Primark fleece) then long sleeved top. Damart stuff is still good for warmth and value, I reckon. Odlo is my personal expensive preference for warmth and fit (zip neck) as 3rd later, or Patagonia fleece zip neck if cold.
On the bottom it's old wooly tights and cheapy thin stretch leggings for me, plus a pair of old stretch fleece-lined tights/leggings from Mountain something-or-other, or again Damart stuff (guess that the lacy look might not suit you?!), or Decathlon. If really cold have some fleece jogging trousers to go over these, one pair Primark, one reduced expensive brand (no difference).
I find Aldi stuff to be too short in the back and body for me - just my personal shape.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A question for the merino fans:

I recently got my first merino top (a lidl jobbie) and it's annoyingly itchy when worn 'right side' out. Solvable by flipping inside out, but makes me wonder - are some merino base layers more itchy than others, or are they all more or less the same?
latest report
@jjams82,
Quote:

are some merino base layers more itchy than others
Yes
snow report
@Hurtle, Cool ta, in that case I wont give up on them.
snow report
@jjams82, Definitely need superfine merino and for delicate flowers like us, it’s worth paying extra for it. I’ve had the same Icebreaker for about 10 years and after many washes, it’s still going strong*. Would never go back to the artificial stuff now.

(* it’s a bit tight, which I blame on repeated washes on lazy mixed load washes and absolutely nothing to do with my repeated and egregious abuse of the buffet starters in the Portavescovo Madeye-Smiley )
snow conditions
@ALQ, Ooh cool ta, I'll look out for super fine stuff next time I'm shopping for such things.
ski holidays
If your budget can stretch to it, try buying a baselayer with an extended neck (and a zip). I have a round neck t-shirt style and it lets in an annoying draught around my neck; a buff doesn’t eliminate it completely. Also, check it has flat seams to avoid chaffing.

Another material I’ve heard about is bamboo; it apparently has the same qualities as superfine merino (wicking, non-stink), but even smoother. Worth investigating IMO.
latest report
ALQ wrote:
@jjams82, Definitely need superfine merino and for delicate flowers like us, it’s worth paying extra for it. I’ve had the same Icebreaker for about 10 years and after many washes, it’s still going strong*. Would never go back to the artificial stuff now.

(* it’s a bit tight, which I blame on repeated washes on lazy mixed load washes and absolutely nothing to do with my repeated and egregious abuse of the buffet starters in the Portavescovo Madeye-Smiley )
+1 in every detail! Embarassed
snow report
IMO 3/4 length works best for thermal leg ware.
snow conditions
A few years ago I discovered the Keela brand, UK company. Got a bit fed up with smelly HH stuff (as good as it is though), so thought I would give it a go. The ADS zip top I use all year round and the two I have had lasted probably 4 years. They wash and dry quick and are great value. Admittedly some of there outerwear may not be suitable for skiing but base layers and fleeces are excellent.
snow conditions
ALQ wrote:
If your budget can stretch to it, try buying a baselayer with an extended neck (and a zip). I have a round neck t-shirt style and it lets in an annoying draught around my neck; a buff doesn’t eliminate it completely. Also, check it has flat seams to avoid chaffing.

Another material I’ve heard about is bamboo; it apparently has the same qualities as superfine merino (wicking, non-stink), but even smoother. Worth investigating IMO.

Just got a couple of bamboo tops from tog24 sale (online) dirt cheap and bloody lovely to wear - does all the stuff you want it too - warm, cool, wick, stay fresh. A bit thicker than fine merino equivalents but double comfy. Have silk sock and glove liners too - gloves have been a success up to now, yet to use the sock ones, bought because my boot gloves didn't arrive from t'internets in time.

Agree with the high neck tops too - draughts in tricky places not good
latest report
Quote:

Just got a couple of bamboo tops from tog24 sale (online) dirt cheap and bloody lovely to wear - does all the stuff you want it too - warm, cool, wick, stay fresh. A bit thicker than fine merino equivalents but double comfy. Have silk sock and glove liners too - gloves have been a success up to now, yet to use the sock ones, bought because my boot gloves didn't arrive from t'internets in time.

Agree with the high neck tops too - draughts in tricky places not good

I second that, those Bamboo tops are my new favourite, far more comfy than merino (which I find hit and miss in terms of itchiness, depending on the manufacturer).

The Bamboo ones are super soft and comfy!
ski holidays
I need to wear merino. I'm a real sweaty stinker the merino help keep it at bay
snow report
Best I've found (though they don't fit the OP brief as rarely cheap) are HH Warm. They are a mix of synthestic and merino and to my great shame Embarassed I can confirm they handle six days straight without stinking.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy