Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stance issues, Basi level 1

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, i am a basi level 1 qualified instructor currently working at Nevis Range up in Scotland.
I am having issues with an old habit i have, i am skiing far too ‘relaxed’. In that i find myself skiing with my hands by my side and too ‘stood up’, whilst it isn’t that noticeable on standard pistes. Once i get to more challenging terrain it becomes obvious and a real disadvantage.
Any drills or tips i could try?
Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Getting Lazy:

http://youtube.com/v/mKOi_FYrHqg

Darren also has more videos on stance.

I remember an instructor in Italy telling me 'Predator' not 'Prey' along with an animated showing of the arm positions. It works for me.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to snowheads @henryguy1!

Change posture is I think one of the hardest things to do - the way we stand is I think the most automatic and ingrained of the inputs we use when skiing - so it will not be a quick fix.

For me, when trying to make changes like that, it is all about being aware of my posture and when it is good and bad. Developing this internal feedback will do a lot for your skiing, not just in this respect. Feel the difference between your old posture and the new one you're trying to achieve. Remember that feeling and be aware of it while you're skiing. You will need to frequently remind yourself to get back into the posture you're trying to achieve. I think it's particularly useful to make sure you're in that posture when you start each run. I have a couple of little checks I make as I set off that cue me into the right posture and you'll likely find some that work for you. Make sure you do this every time, no matter what the slope, whether you are skiing by yourself, with others, or teaching beginners, or whatever, and you'll soon develop that habit. Doing this kind of habitual practice is I think the only way to overcome your older ingrained behaviours.

Good luck!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had the same problem at level 1. Fixed for level 2 by focusing on it totally at all times (as per video). It now feels more natural and dynamic when skiing. Not only that, I primarily teach kids and they tend to learn by copying more than anything else, so good demonstration is key. Just had a week in La Plagne with the family and skiing with the kids behind me I'm always very conscious of body position.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not skiing but sailing but easy to have the same "lazy habits" so when I'm not instructing I always think that past and potential students will be watching so I should set a good example of technique all the time.

After all if you don't when you are trying to teach/coach them your position as an expert is compromised as they will look at you and think "yeah but you don't ski/sail like that so why should I?"
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
when I get onto easier slopes I try to resort to drills to help keep me in a better place, e.g. one leg skiing, lifting inside leg, rail tracks. On really easy slopes try different positions to make you more aware of how it feels so you can try correct when on harder slopes. Personal feedback is important here, you need to be feeling change to know when it's not feeling right.

The BASI manual has a few things in the toolbox section, if you don't have a printed copy you can view it in the members area on the BASI site.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The check-list idea is one I adopt while teaching and skiing on my own. Before every run, I work from the ankles upwards - either out loud to pupils or silently to myself. It seems to help.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
can you get someone to video you when you think it's good and when you think it's bad, hopefully then starting to ingrain "good" I have similiar issues, for me it's focusing on my hands which fixes it.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Video would be useful. Stance issues can be poor technique. They can also be gear related. Poor hand position is often evidence of something else going on lower down the body. Getting alignment work done sorted out my dinosaur arms.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
'Predator' not 'Prey'- this!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Click your pole handles together when starting off.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
+1 for checklists! I find that very helpful for stance issues (My personal one is SCoBAR Shins in front of boot, Core engaged, Back rounded not arched, Arms away from body, Relax not rigid - but that probably reflects my own personal bad habits rather than a general purpose list for everyone!)
I also find it helpful to think about being able to see the back of my hands if I start to drop my arms. Focusing on pole planting even on easy slopes helps - because if my arms are by my sides I'm either not planting or having to move the entire arm to plant.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Tubaski, your list is the same as mine!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Someone needs to tell Darren...

Lazy looks cool!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Someone needs to tell Darren...

Lazy looks cool!!

That is kind of true. It reminds me of last year's ski off on a gentle blue for assignment to our group lessons in Italy. I focused on doing textbook turns, arms, stance, position, the whole lot. My son on the other hand took a completely different approach to it and casually skied down with his hands behind his back. "Here comes Mr I Can Ski" is what the instructors said as he was coming down. We did both end up in the top group but I suspect he made more of an impression than I did, which I guess was the whole point.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy