Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thollon

Poster: A snowHead
Any thoughts?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great views across the Lake and mountains.
IIRC it goes up to 2000m or thereabouts.
New gondola installed a few years ago.
Small, quiet, easy go to to from GVA.
If you want a Spa day in Evian, Lavey or Val D'illiez, your're pretty close.
25 mins from La Chapelle is you fancy a day in the PdS.
Not looked, but I imagine it's competitively priced.
What's not to like?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Visit Thollon many times a year.

Echo WindsofChange thoughts.

Good range of accommodation in Thollon Station - which is all very close to the new gondola. A few bars and restaurants, cinema, laundry, 4/5 ski shops. Easily accessible from geneva airport

Day pass is about 22euro.

A fair variety of runs including a very long piste called La Vielle Casse which is lovely.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lovely views, great place for a few days if you’re not interested in mileage or a nice village
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Also as far as I remember there’s only one restaurant in the resort and it’s not great so bear that in mind. Pretty cheap though
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Looking at some property her which seems good quality and value.

Are there many drag lifts?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are 7 drag lifts. 1 gondola and 3 chairs
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looking at some property her which seems good quality and value.

Are there many drag lifts?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We used to go to La Chapelle/Chatel/Morgins and I always wondered what Thollon was like. It looks like a great area in the summer. I wonder how it fares in low-snow years, as the town is at 900 m, and the lake might keep temps a bit higher and moister? I looked at the piste map, however, and it seems that 90 percent of the skiing is above 1500 m. I took a look at some of the immobiliers and looks like you can get a 1-br apartment for well under 150k euros. Seems like a good value given the proximity to GVA.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@johnboy, we've done day trips and for that it is great - superb views and some nice skiing. It is however too limited an area for me to consider as a base.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Was there talk once of connecting it to a nearby area?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Been talk about linking it to Bernex for about 30 years. Still talking......
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Can get a 23m2 studio for €79K or 1 bed 37m2 for €109

Might take a quick trip to see what the skiing is like. Views and proximity to Geneva a positive. Small and low a negative although most runs above 1500m which isn't bad.

La Chappelle another option.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lovely for trips to the lake in summer. But only 14 pistes? Praz sur Arly would be much better from the ski point of view and has some reasonable property. Also a very short drive from Megeve and entry to another big area. And lovely in summer.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We have an apartment in Thollon. It's lovely for a day's skiing, Bernex is great too, we find it a total contrast to Thollon. We also go to Chatel or Morzine if we want a bigger area. It's only 1hr 20 from Verbier but not tried that yet. Fire away if you have any questions.
snow report
johnboy wrote:
Can get a 23m2 studio for €79K or 1 bed 37m2 for €109
Location, Location , Location etc.... personally I think those prices are on the high side. I wouldn' t base a property purchase in Thollon on the basis of the skiing quality there, you will get bored quickly. The best runs mentioned previously are impacted by poor snow. On the other hand if you want a year round village with access to the PDS, CH, mountains, lake , GVA, Evian etc then there is a lot to recommend it.
snow conditions
Thanks folks,

All good points. The prices are for new builds.
@AllyK, How long have you had a place there, how do you find the snow quality? How do you get there from Geneva? What's it like in summer?
snow conditions
Just a point re a post above, there are quite a few restaurants in the 'Station' not just one and they're all pretty good and centered around the telecabine area. One called XV is especially high end with great reviews.

I think maybe moseyp means there's only one restaurant in the ski area which is correct.
snow report
Quote:

@AllyK

We’ve had a place there for 35 years. The snow quality is about the same as the Portes du Soleil, being at similar altitudes. High altitude skiing is close by at verbier, glacier 3000 and Grimentz which are all doable in an hour or so.
Geneva is about and hour away depending on traffic. We usually fly and hire a car, going through Geneva and along the south side of the lake through Douvaine, Thonon by pass and then up through St Paul.
Lots to do in the summer- walking, mountain biking, rafting, lake activities, etc
ski holidays
How weird, I wrote a long post and it seems to have disappeared. Basically the gist was pretty much was Ibexman2 says above re the snow. We tend to go to Pre La Joux if we want something bigger, haven't tried Verbier yet. Bernex is great and only 15 min drive and feels completely different to Thollon in my opinion.

Basically bought the apartment for the summer probably more than the winter, we're big on running so can get the telecabine up and run over the mountains with incredible views of the lake and the Swiss mountains. We spend a lot of time in Evian at the beaches, the lake is stunning. I can be sipping prosecco in Evian, taking in an art exhibition at the Palais Lumiere and back up in the mountains 15 mins later! It feels like we have 2 different properties, a place by the sea and a place in the mountains.

Ours is a new build too but a ground floor with a massive 38m2 terrace facing the lake.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy