Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kitzbuhel, too much for a pair of beginners?

Poster: A snowHead
Just came back from Montgenevre and luckily the family now have the skiing bug with me.

I’ve seen a few YouTube clips of The Ski club in Kitzbuhel and it looks a nice place.

My girlfriend and little boy both had private lessons for a full week and are confident on blues now.

If we were all to go to Kitzbuhel would they be limited to just a few runs? I know I could sell it to my other half if mentioned the duty free village 🤭
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think Kitzbuhel is much the same as any large ski area, there's a mix of blue, red and black runs. If you go during a busy week the linking runs are likely to be heavily mogulled later in the day.

It's a town rather than a village, very picturesque with lots of shopping, but not duty free.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@DanFuller, the 'duty free' Mecca is probably Livigno in North Western Italy, just over the border from San Moritz. It's quite small and the skiing is split across both sides of the town in the valley. It's a bit of a 'Marmite' destination. The transfer from Milan is 5 hours rolling eyes and the slopes are ok but nothing to write home about . . . however, it does cater for the serious shopaholic, has insanely cheap booze, some superb restaurants and equally good fast food joints and an astonishingly good craic vibe. I've always said that it's not a ski destination but a place to have a holiday with skiing. It's somewhere everyone should visit at least once.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Masque wrote:
@DanFuller, the 'duty free' Mecca is probably Livigno in North Western Italy, just over the border from San Moritz. It's quite small and the skiing is split across both sides of the town in the valley. It's a bit of a 'Marmite' destination. The transfer from Milan is 5 hours rolling eyes and the slopes are ok but nothing to write home about . . . however, it does cater for the serious shopaholic, has insanely cheap booze, some superb restaurants and equally good fast food joints and an astonishingly good craic vibe. I've always said that it's not a ski destination but a place to have a holiday with skiing. It's somewhere everyone should visit at least once.

Sorry my mistake I saw a YouTube film by the ski club showing a ski area linked which was duty free, it must have been elsewhere.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If cheap shopping is an attraction Kitzbuhel is probably not your ideal destination! On the other hand if you want to show off your Chanel moon boots....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lots of poling there..
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
If cheap shopping is an attraction Kitzbuhel is probably not your ideal destination! On the other hand if you want to show off your Chanel moon boots....

Ha. My other half has a pair of those. Skiied 5 days in her life.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@DanFuller, you watched a video produced by the SCUK . . . and you didn't feel the need to jam an oral b toothbush through your ear and clean the clag from your cranium?

All the SCUK wants is access to your bank account and your social media information.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DanFuller wrote:
Masque wrote:

Sorry my mistake I saw a YouTube film by the ski club showing a ski area linked which was duty free, it must have been elsewhere.

Maybe thinking of Ischgl?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sugarmoma666 wrote:
DanFuller wrote:
Masque wrote:

Linked to Switzerland?

Maybe thinking of Ischgl?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Masque wrote:
@DanFuller, you watched a video produced by the SCUK . . . and you didn't feel the need to jam an oral b toothbush through your ear and clean the clag from your cranium?

All the SCUK wants is access to your bank account and your social media information.

Trust me it doesn’t take a lot of prompting for me to spend my cash.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd say Kitzbuhel would be a pretty good choice, the pistes over jochberg side are mostly gentle and quiet. I like Kitzbuhel but do be aware it's a little low so not well suited to early or late season. In the town there's a swimming pool with slides but as other posters mention the shopping isn't cheap
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DanFuller wrote:
Masque wrote:

I imagine you're thinking of Ischgl, which is linked with (duty free) Samnaun.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
grumpygargoyle wrote:
I like Kitzbuhel but do be aware it's a little low so not well suited to early or late season.

Many years ago our local ski club organised a pre-Christmas trip to Kitzbuhel and I was stupid enough to go on it. There was literally about 10 cm of snow and the whole week was a complete right-off for skiing. After we had totally trashed our skis on the first day, we more or less gave up it just turned into a week long bar-crawl. I remember the nightlife was shall we say lively! It wouldn't be my choice for a family ski holiday, but I can't say I know it well enough to judge. Personally I prefer proper ski-in/out when small kids are involved, which Kitzbuhel isn't.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good point about ski in-out @uktrailmonster, I've not done Kitz with the kidz. I have stayed in an apartment in Jochberg that was almost ski in-out but then you're in a quiet village with limited (but good) eating options... There are definitely cheaper and possibly more appropriate Austrian destinations but I do know families who have been and had a great time
snow conditions
We learnt in Kitzbuhel. Had done half a day in MK beforehand. We were in the intermediate beginners group, and we covered a fair bit of ground - certainly felt like that at the time anyway!! If they are fine on blues there'll be no problem.

As others have said it is low. They'd had no snow for a few weeks when we went, but we were fortunate to get a massive dump on the first night that transformed the place.
ski holidays
uktrailmonster wrote:
grumpygargoyle wrote:
I like Kitzbuhel but do be aware it's a little low so not well suited to early or late season.

Many years ago our local ski club organised a pre-Christmas trip to Kitzbuhel and I was stupid enough to go on it. There was literally about 10 cm of snow and the whole week was a complete right-off for skiing. After we had totally trashed our skis on the first day, we more or less gave up it just turned into a week long bar-crawl. I remember the nightlife was shall we say lively! It wouldn't be my choice for a family ski holiday, but I can't say I know it well enough to judge. Personally I prefer proper ski-in/out when small kids are involved, which Kitzbuhel isn't.

Was that December 2006 by any chance? Its the only year I can remember theres been no real skiing before christmas. But, it was the same the whole of the Alps, not just down to the lower lying resorts.
ski holidays
jafa wrote:
uktrailmonster wrote:
grumpygargoyle wrote:

Was that December 2006 by any chance? Its the only year I can remember theres been no real skiing before christmas. But, it was the same the whole of the Alps, not just down to the lower lying resorts.

No, more like 1986, but can't remember the exact year. But I do remember the serious lack of snow and not one flake fell the week we were there.
latest report
grumpygargoyle wrote:
I'd say Kitzbuhel would be a pretty good choice, the pistes over jochberg side are mostly gentle and quiet. I like Kitzbuhel but do be aware it's a little low so not well suited to early or late season. In the town there's a swimming pool with slides but as other posters mention the shopping isn't cheap
Early season (i.e pre Xmas) is a lottery no matter where you go. Kitz is actually usually (and has been over at least the last few seasons) one of the very last resorts to close down completely. They usually have at least a couple of lifts running into May.
ski holidays
Quote:

not one flake fell the week we were there

that's not uncommon anywhere, any week of the season
snow conditions
uktrailmonster wrote:
grumpygargoyle wrote:

Fair enough. I liked the look of the town and charms. Back to the drawing board 😳
ski holidays
DanFuller wrote:
uktrailmonster wrote:
grumpygargoyle wrote:

Fair enough. I liked the look of the town and charms. Back to the drawing board 😳

If you're minted, get to Davos which fairly high, so good skiing and some good opportunities for your OH to empty your wallet!
snow conditions
I ski Kitzbuhel in March and have done regularly over the last 15 years or so, plenty of blue runs and easy reds. The runs further up the valley (Hollersbach/Mittersill) are shortish but can be flattering to improving skiers, and more snow sure. On the Kitzbuhel/Kirchberg side there are two long blues down to the bottom of the valley. As with any resort the grading of the runs can vary, most of the blues are fairly forgiving with an alternative if needs be. As for shopping it isnt duty free or cheap. The town is a traditional town, with a lot of history and is very nice. If your keen I can recommend the Hotel Edelweiss, yes its close to the railway line but you done hear the trains. The owners are super friendly, as are all the staff, the food is good and a free packed lunch.
snow conditions
DanFuller wrote:
uktrailmonster wrote:
grumpygargoyle wrote:

I wouldn’t base your holiday choices on two reviews. In contrast to the two above we did go at the tail end of the season and had a great week. It was a family holiday too. The town wasn’t too boisterous for apres and it would be very easy to avoid. It’s a lovely town for a wander around.

The skiing will be fine for your family’s ability. There’s a wide range of runs and you don’t have to ski down the Streif if you don’t want to. The runs on the Kitzbueler Horn seemed particularly beginner friendly if I remember correctly.
ski holidays
For a good combination of picturesque skiing and a pretty town with nice shops, have a look at Courmayeur. Don't be put off by it being a cable car up to the skiing - there is a hire shop up there where you can store your gear.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy