Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help me decide Blizzard Cheyenne or Volkl Flair 74

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I've just been to our local ski shop, who were very helpful, and helped me narrow it down to the 2 skis. Both are similar price, so that's not the decider here!

I can explain a bit about my skiing: I'm female, 5"7 - average weight (165 lbs maybe). I'm probably advanced intermediate parallel skiing, on snow can do a bit of carving. Mainly on piste, but do like to have a little dabble of the sides if I'm feeling brave, and enjoyed some great powder days last year. I probably wouldn't be venturing into the snow park! I ski on and off through the year at our local dry slope, but not been so much this year, but these skis will be for my 1 week holiday a year! At the moment I have ancient Head Every Thangs, which were cheap on Ebay many years ago.

I bought some lovely Rossignol boots last season, which I felt really helped my skiing, so next step some decent skis.

I was told at the shop the Volkls are great piste skis, not so suited to anything off piste, and the Cheyennes might be a bit more fun, and as they don't have the rail for bindings could be better (don't know why!).

Does anyone have any experience with either ski? Good or bad.

I'd love to be able to go on a ski test holiday to decide, but it's just not possible. off the Vallandry in Les Arcs in 3 weeks, so want to take new ones then - as it's a waste paying £30 for wax and edge on the old ones if I buy new afterwards.

Help! Puzzled (thanks)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
“The Blizzard Cheyenne Skis are designed for newer skiers and intermediates, but in typical Blizzard fashion they deliver more performance than you would expect. Features like a full poplar-beech wood core and women's specific Carbon Flipcore construction cost more to build, but ensure you won't be caught out of sorts when conditions turn challenging or your ability level goes up a few notches. The lightweight construction uses the unidirectional carbon from Blizzard s alpine touring program, and makes high performance possible with a significant weight reduction.”

“Just because a ski is best suited to new skiers doesn't mean it has to be flimsy or poorly made. Völkl takes the same extraordinary care in building the Volkl Flair 74 Skis + 4Motion 10.0 Bindings as with their more expensive skis, and you'd be foolish not to take advantage of it. Aimed at developing skiers on their way up the skills ladder, the Flair 74 puts an emphasis on being lightweight and delivering forgiving, easy turns -- just the thing when you're starting out.”

Hmmm... @micheleperry, I would expect that both skis would be fine. I am currently a bit of a Blizzard fanboy, but my wife has skied Völkl for 40 years (still waiting for the sponsorship contract).

Given your description, I would only slightly wonder whether a slightly more “advanced” ski might be appropriate?

Manufacturers tend to expand descriptions towards the lower denominator, these sound somewhat “lightweight”. But totally competent.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi, thanks for the reply. I spent last night bamboozling myself on the internet. Out of the 2 I'm leaning towards the Blizzard Cheyenne. I read lots about their Black Pearls, but it's a jump up in budget to get those, I've got to remind myself I'll be using them for 1 week a year! And the last thing I want is to get skis I really have to work hard, or that drive me, rather than me feeling in control.

I spotted a pair of 2nd hand Cheyennes on pre-loved for half the new price price, so weighing them up too, but they're in Hemel and I'm in Norwich. Would be ideal if I can get myself to the snow dome to test them, but not sure time/budget allows.

Anything I need to consider if I go 2nd hand (other than no obvious scratches)?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If buying 2nd hand you need to consider boot sole length. The bindings are direct mounted on the Blizzards, so are not as adjustable. There will be a certain amount of adjustment and your boots may well be ok, but you should definitely get them checked by a ski tech and you MAY need to have the bindings remounted
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks NBT. Even better news, I just found a brand new pair of the 2016 model (which I prefer the look of over the 2017s) with Squire bindings on ebay - for a great price. So that might sway it, so the bindings would be mounted for me to fit my boots.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@micheleperry, new is way better as it's difficult to assess condition of eg edges online.

Most alpine bindings have sufficient latitude to cope with most alpine boots, IME.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My Wife's ski'd Bizzard Cheyenne's for the last 2 seasons and loves them, she's similar height to you, few lbs lighter maybe and a very good skier. They're excellent and forgiving on piste, (even icy ones) great over bumps and fine off-piste as long as you're not expecting the best from them in thigh-deep powder. They got her from the top of Grands Montets down to Argentiere in under 15 minutes last Easter which covered pretty much every snow condition you're likely to find without any fuss!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great news that the Cheyenne seems popular. I've found another supplier in France, who are a lot cheaper - they'll supply the ski with Look Nova 9 B83 bindings for just £240 - which is a real bargain. But I can't find many reviews of the binding, I'm guessing it might be pretty basic? There are also SALOMON - Z12 N for an extra £25. If I add the Marker Squires I was recommended, then it takes the price higher than I can get in the UK.

Choices! I hate decisions!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Look and Salomon both massive manufacturers for bindings, both will be well-made and conform to all standards - The look ones have a max DIN of 9 so they are quite lightweight and designed for lower intermediates and/or lighter skiers but they'd be fine, the Salomon ones are beefier with a Max DIN of 12. Personally I would go for the Salomons as your DIN settings will be low down in their range so you won't stressing the binding much at all, however the if money's the main driver, the Looks will be absolutely fine as I can't imagine your DIN would be set at anywhere near 9*

*I'm not a binding tech, do NOT take my word for what your DIN settings should/should not be!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all the advice everyone, decision made, I've ordered the Cheyenne with the Marker Squire bindings. Ordered from Glisshop who are fitting the bindings, roll on newxt wednesday when they arrive.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My wife has been using Marker Squire bindings for a number of years now (since they first came out) and they work really well for her. Nice and light, easy to clip in/out, no unplanned release at correct DIN etc. I think you will be happy.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just to update, I LOVED my new skis and bindings. It might have been subliminal, but I felt I could really trust my new super douper edges, and skied really confidently on them!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Glad you liked them. What length did you go for?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I got 163cm ones - I'm 5"7. They are longer than my previous skis, but I didn't think about them once they were on, just trusted in them!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Glad you liked them, your experience is the exact same as my wife's who was very sceptical about getting her own skis until she had these! (also 163cm)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy