Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Westendorf-Soll/Westendorf-Kitzbuhel

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

It looks like our friends group trip this year is going to be a long weekend in Westendorf at the end of January; good prices, availability of accommodation and short transfer from Munich means we get 3.5 days skiing at a very good price in an area non of us have visited and it's always good to try new places. We are all reasonably strong skiers and we'll make the most of what the area has to offer even though it looks like the skiing is on the easier or tame side.

Reading on here it seems to me that we have the best base skiing wise as people seem to be of the opinion Westendorf offers good skiing if not the best in the Ski Welt. I'm reasoning that with our 3.5 days we do the half day in Westendorf followed by a day skiing the Ski Welt area and a day skiing the Kitzbuhel area and the last day in the area we enjoyed most.

I know Westendorf is no party town but are there any/some apres ski bars or piste side places in Westendorf that have a good atmosphere for a few beers. If not what are the possibilities of taking in a bit of Soll or Kitzbuhel apres ski before getting the bus/train/taxi back to Westendorf? What are the options?

Any recommendations of runs to do, lunch stops and bars to visit in and around the area would be great. Also does the connection to Kitzbuhel still involve a short bus ride?

Thanks snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All I can answer is to confirm that the connection to the Kitzbühel area does still involve taking the bus from the bottom of the KiWest piste to the Pengelstein I gondola.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We did the same last year - Westendorf does work as a great base for the reasons you give, and we did almost exactly what you suggest. My only issue with the area is the utterly appalling map and signage - expect to get lost! And whatever you do, don't take the blue alternative to the Hahnenkahm down to Kitz - it is a very tedious long track, not covered by cannons.

For Apres, there is Gerry's Inn on the side of the nursery area in Westendorf, which gets reasonably lively at the end of the skiing day (full of Dutch when we were there), but Westendorf is relatively quiet. Never did it, but I don't think it is difficult to get back from Kitzbuhel by either bus or train - included in the lift pass if you are wearing ski kit. Not sure about Soll.

Espri is right, but the bus from bottom of KiWest to Pengelstein is regular and just 4 mins, so very easy.

Sorry to hijack, but I am heading out again at end Feb and would also be grateful for suggestions of best lunch stops around SkiWelt (and Kitz).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks, hijack away, I’m back out there again early March with my wife and daughter although staying in Söll so I hope I like the area.......

Am I right in thinking the pistes are numbered by what lift they head too?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rg1, I must say that I rather enjoy blue Asten piste 20. And it does lead to the Einsiedelei, one of the best restaurants on the hill Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Note that free travel on the trains for skiers is only from 08:30 to 18:00 - see https://www.kitzski.at/de/bergurlaub-tirol/anreise/mit-dem-streifzug-gratis-ins-skigebiet.html (I've only found this explanation in German). And Westendorf station is quite a way from the village.

Note also that SkiWelt and Kitzbühel ski passes are only valid in their own areas. To ski in both areas, e.g. skiing over from Westendorf and then skiing the Kitzbühel pistes, you need a pass like the Kitzbüheler Alpen Allstar Card.

It is true, I believe, that in the SkiWelt the pistes are numbered by the lifts they lead to. But I never understood that until it was explained here on snowHeads and I can't say I use the knowledge on the slopes (I can seldom remember the numbers).

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 12-01-18 21:28; edited 4 times in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks @espri, that’s very helpful.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
From a geographical perspective, Brixen im Thale would be the best ski base allowing direct access to both westendorf or rest of SkiWelt. Don’t know much about apres but was at Kitz town ytd evening and even it felt quiet. You can imagine what rest of the towns would be like. Perhaps that’s because my last couple of trips was st Anton / Chamonix. If you have a car and not the most athletic skiers then brixen or kirchberg would give you shortest drive to both SkiWelt and Kitz.

Here are things worth highlighting:
- restaurant at Hohe Salve has amazing view and even has a revolving terrace. It’s very busy so best to go at odd time.
- Extremely easy to get lost on Brixen side. We took one wrong turn heading back to Brixen from Hohe Salve and ended up back where we started by going round the peak. We nearly miss the last lift back down and also involved hiking up for hundreds of meter when there was no one around as the sun was setting. Study your routes carefully toward end of day.
- Westendorf runs lower down / towards the valley (route 11 and 111) was pretty icy today, but the runs are looong, fun and challenging. Great when you have fresh legs but not at the end of day
- From KiWest the map says it’s a 4min transfer but not sure on the frequency of service. Suspect it should be every 15min given its 4min drive up the road.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There are a couple of fun apres bars in Westendorf:

1. Can't remember the name, but as you descend the red run to the Alpenrosenbahn bottom station take the last slope that cuts off the side, and in a couple of hundred metres there's a bar on the right hand side (before where the piste crosses the little road) that can get pretty lively
2. Wunderbar in the village. Great memories (or lack of) of nights there as a teenager (damn that doesn't seem like it should be so long ago!!) and it's open 'til well into the morning
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Hybrid713, @clarky999, thank you.

@clarky999, would that be the Bruchstall?

The skiers are all pretty strong so I don't think we'll be using the car to get about. We've settled on Westendorf as a base and booked as we've got a good b&b deal there. We're happy to go and explore and try both ski welt and kitzbuhel. Will have a good look at the piste map as a lot of people have now mentioned it's easy to get lost. I'm thinking it'll just be skiing by what lift you want to go to or past to get to where you want to go but maybe in a couple of weeks i'll be back on here letting you know I got lost time and time again Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy