Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Grave news

Poster: A snowHead
So it appears that Joe Vallone has skied la Voute without the use of a rope.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd7TSjbguJ-/?taken-by=joe_vallone
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
wow, even though we have the same skis don't think ill be trying that line anytime soon Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For those unfamiliar, it is not a particularly difficult line to ski. What's notable is that he has managed to ski the 35 metre abseil. I genuinely have no idea how he has done this. It is astonishing.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I guess with the current snow the rocks are covered, but even so..................The man has some cojoñes for sure!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
One of the nicest couloirs in the alps.
I would guess it is all banked out with snow and the rappel looks nothing like the 35m cliff you remember ?

Local legend is that Doug Coombs drilled the bolts still used as an anchor for La Voute.
Apparently he was one of the first to ski the entrance "sans-corde" (some ten years ago) along with a handful of other lesser known frenchie guides.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
gorilla wrote:
For those unfamiliar, it is not a particularly difficult line to ski. What's notable is that he has managed to ski the 35 metre abseil. I genuinely have no idea how he has done this. It is astonishing.

...it can still bite. The top section before the dog leg is an ‘inadvisable to stack it’ zone: if the snow’s firm you’ll slide until you hit the wall. A guide and his client sadly died there a few deaths a years ago. The rappel is very steep - even with all the snow it still must be 50+ deg. Fair play the real Charliebigpotatoes!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I feel La Grave calling again... would have to be 3rd time lucky to get up to that damn top station and see what all the fuss is about!!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
He's a really nice guy too. I was talking to him in a bar here at the end of last season. So passionate about the mountains.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Claude B, he had an amusing bout of banter with Nick Parks a few years ago. Went something like:

Nick: ‘Hey are those plum bindings?’

J: ‘Yeah. Are those dynafits?’

Nick: ‘Yeah...’

J: ‘THEY’RE poo-poo! Hahahahahahahahahaha!’

Nick: mumble mumble American *£&#@*

J: ‘I’m not American you jumped up *£&#*’

<lift>
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sharkymark wrote:
@Claude B, he had an amusing bout of banter with Nick Parks a few years ago. Went something like:

Nick: ‘Hey are those plum bindings?’

J: ‘Yeah. Are those dynafits?’

Nick: ‘Yeah...’

J: ‘THEY’RE poo-poo! Hahahahahahahahahaha!’

Nick: mumble mumble American *£&#@*

J: ‘I’m not American you jumped up *£&#*’

<lift>

Far be it for me to agree with 'Heli Rescue' Nick but Joe does still describe himself as an ex pat 'Mercain (at least he did last year in weathercam's puff piece). Mind you Joe may have got the measure of Heli early quite quickly...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@betterinblack, what’s the story behind the ‘heli rescue’ nickname?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My son is out to L2A tomorrow with a works ski trip ... group of them are looking at Friday or Saturday with a guide in La Grave.
Anyone know what are conditions like at the moment ?
Forecast looks pretty encouraging with fresh snow and cold temperatures.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I spotted a report from KenX the other day; it looked good then; he was able to ski back to the bottom.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skied LG Sunday and Tuesday, it's in great shape and due some more snow tomorrow Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Inboard wrote:
@betterinblack, what’s the story behind the ‘heli rescue’ nickname?

If i recall correctly at one of the SOPiB's he introduced himself as heli Nick, a (?tounge in cheek) nickname he'd achieved from having taken various well heeled punters heli skiing before the trip.
After he then led a group on an unseasonal hiking tour of the Hautes Alpes it was suggested they may have prefered a heli rescue.
snow conditions
@betterinblack, ah, thanks.
ski holidays
@KenX, thanks , I think it's looking like a goer Toofy Grin
snow report
The photo suggests to me that he didn't ski the rapel bit, but rather found an entrance from the top!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy