Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Considering this as my first Solo Trip

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello Snowheads

I've been tempted doing a solo trip on my own for a while, and i've found a great deal in Tignes Week 5 from the 27th Jan - 3rd Feb. There's just the slight inconvience that i'm already going to Austria for the "Annual" skiing trip with my friends the week before (Jan 20 - Jan 27).
Therefore i've been looking at ways to get from Austria to France, and i've found a rather cheap flight from Münich to Geneva. From Geneva i've been looking at transfers with Bensbus or Altibus.

I have also been looking at the following week for a solo trip (week 6, feb 3-feb 10) but that will be way more expensive.
Even with the flight from Münich and transfers it'll still be about 260 Eur cheaper going in week 5.

My friends have agreed to take me to Münich airport on their way home from Austria, if i decide to go.

As it will be my first time ever going solo, i'm naturally nervous about it.
Also i don't know if i'm too optimistic about it being realistically possible.
I mean it sounds rather simple. Drive to Münich, fly to Geneva, transfer to Tignes. Or am i missing something?
And what happens if the plane is delayed? Or worse cancelled?

Also which of the two aforementioned transfer companies would you recommend? Bensbus or Altibus?

Guess i need some opinions on this. Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated. Smile

Also sorry if this isn't the right place for a topic like this.

Thanks in advance! Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Bülow, Its dead easy from Geneva to Tignes. There is little to choose between Altibus and Bens Bus except Altibus runs every day, Ben only runs at weekends. Altibus definitely move you onto the next bus (providing there is space) and I believe Ben would too if your plane is delayed. that's why I aim to catch the first or second bus as you have a 3 hour fall back to the next one. If it is late there are plenty of hotels near the airport and you then catch a bus the following day.

It really is as simple as you think. A plane being cancelled is a rarity but if you are not prepared for a 1 in a 500 chance then you would never travel at all.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I fail to see why getting a flight from Munich to Geneva then bus to Tignes would be any different to getting a flight from the UK to Geneva then bus to Tignes.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Bülow, where in Austria are you going? Why not get a train instead of flying? Much more fun, relaxing and less hassle, IMHO. Salzburg or Innsbruck to Geneva airport in two fast comfortable intercity trains with a change at Zurich, c6hrs from IBK, obvs a bit longer from SLZ. Also various other stops in Austria useful for ski resorts. If you skiing in many parts of Salzburger land or anywhere in Tirol/ Vorarlberg its almost a no-brainer. Trains used to folk with ski luggage, too, so no issue there.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@chocksaway @mikeycharlton thanks. Your reply's fills me with confidence. Not much different than doing it from UK (or Denmark, where i'm situated Very Happy ). Just concerned.

@Inboard we are staying in Sölden. Have considered taking the train, but don't really know where to look for tickets. The plane takes of at 8.05 in the morning and arrives in Geneva at 9.25, so a really short flying time. Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Bülow, ok, that is a short flight. But you’ll need to checkin c0730 so leave Sölden 0500 or so? Alternatively catch the train from Ötztal bahnhof c1000 and be in GVA c1600 and catch a transfer bus. Lots of nice views to enjoy with a bottle of something tasty.

For tickets: Oebb website (Austrian Rail) or SBB.ch (Swiss rail). Both have English options on website. Further useful information on seat61 website.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
it's at least a 3 hour drive.

I'd get the train from the bottom of the valley. Would guess it's a train to Zurich then change for Geneva.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yeah, there's a 3 hour drive to Munich from Sölden, so we have to leave in the middle of the night. My friends are ok with that. The flight is about 60 Eur incl 23 Kg luggage. Smile

Starting to form an overview of the train route and ticket options from Ötztal to Geneve. It seems cheaper to use the Öbb site for a ticket to Geneve than to use SBB.

Found a train that leaves 8.02am sat morning for Eur 45, with a change in Zürich. Only concern is the first train being delayed as there's only 12 minutes from arrival in Zurich until the next train leaves to Geneva. What would happen in that situation?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Get the next train? Although often that's 2 hours later rather than 1 hour.

It's Austria/Switzerland. Delays are not allowed.

10 min changes in Basel and Biel/Bienne are pretty normal, Especially if it's step across the platform on to the other train, or the other one comes in next on the same platform.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The tickets are locked to the specific trains. That's why they can be done so cheap. Otherwise it's way above 100 Eur ie. flying will be cheaper.

Arrival at platform 9 in Zurich, then it's two floors down to platform 32 to get the next one to Geneva. If the Zurich station is fairly easy to figure out, with not too much walking, then it should not be a problem. But then again, i've never been there, so dunno rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy