Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Coltex whizzz skins. First impressions.

Poster: A snowHead
First go with my new skins today, they are the precut ones for my scott skis, only an hour and nothing too steep.
First impressions are very favourable. Easy to fit, glue to glue pulls apart easily. There’re light, glide nice and grippy.
I really like not having cheat sheets, less bulk, less weight and best of all less faff.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Plus their camlock tail clip is the best on the market.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@jbob, agreed they’re superb; used them all of last season. Easy to handle in a breeze and great for very rapid transitions, too.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@jbob, so, you way honed now? Also, how do you find the skinnier skis?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@HammondR, can’t remember being less honed but at least my back is on the mend.
Skinny skis very good but could have done with a bit more girth in the wind affected snow. Feel very light on my feet, which is nice.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.

Secret stash. @HammondR,
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Had a pair for the last couple of seasons and love ‘em.
Did have an issue on a yomp up in Rogers pass last year, I think a bit of tree root/branch got between the ski and skin on the track up (or I didn’t attach the skin correctly initially) which let snow in which completely lost all grip. I cleaned it by pulling the skin over the ski edges, this cleared the snow but just like any other skins once wet and frozen they are pretty useless on anything steep.
The tail clip is great...on a flat tail but on a rounded rocker ? I’ve had to resort to cable ties to secure the clip.
Not quite the panacea to skins but a great advance toward it
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Super Steezy wrote:
.......The tail clip is great...on a flat tail but on a rounded rocker ? I’ve had to resort to cable ties to secure the clip.....

As with any skin just file a short flat on the end of the ski, or even a slight notch.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Super Steezy, if skinning on twin tip rockered skis then don't bother with any tail clips and have the skins cut about 40cm with a rounded profile.

I was a tad dubious about them when I first used them, but now they are so hassle free that I really prefer them.

And yesterday I was on some pretty tough terrain when one might have been temped to use crampons (not on a shop floor Smile ) and no problems on 108mm wide skis.

No way would I have liked to have been on my SG 88's yesterday or any of the previous powder touring days as snow pack is just so variable in between the sweet stashes.

Photo below is a good example of having to ski a line that is the right aspect to get cold crustless powder, mind you we were only at around 2,300

latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Liking Spyerjon s solution especially now I have cut my skins and they are used across three sets of skis (gotta sort that out)
Weathercam not sure I completely understand what you are suggesting? is that 40mm shy of the length which is not that far off where they are cut to accommodate the tail strap?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
40cm !
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Love my Coltex precuts on my Superguides. Just one little niggle. The front attachment is so secure with the two little clips in the holes on the front of the ski. Only on transitions I find it a bit of a faff to unclip them. Impossible, I find , with a gloved hand. Anyone got any tips?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Weathercam wrote:
40cm !

40cm is quite a lot, you weren't buying skins off the roll and only wanted to take 3 meters by any chance?

I have mine cut at 23cm from the tails (non rockered).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gvj wrote:
Love my Coltex precuts on my Superguides. Just one little niggle. The front attachment is so secure with the two little clips in the holes on the front of the ski. Only on transitions I find it a bit of a faff to unclip them. Impossible, I find , with a gloved hand. Anyone got any tips?

The hooks are a pretty close fit in the slots so take a tad of material off each side of each hook and a tad off the length of the 'return' of each hook so that there's more clearance to remove them from the slots.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@davidof, sounds about right as I was doing it on the cheap!

184 skis 3m off the roll = 150 on each ski plus a couple of cms from the tip - leaves around 30cm - 20cm from the tail and 10cm of rocker!

Would take a photo but skis all packed for land of rising sun Cool

@gvj, never had any issues with my SG 88's nor my Powdairs
ski holidays
@spyderjon, thanks, thought that might be the fix - just didn't want to overdo it with a file and then have a "doh" moment when someone says "but you should have done...."
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
@davidof, sounds about right as I was doing it on the cheap!

184 skis 3m off the roll = 150 on each ski plus a couple of cms from the tip - leaves around 30cm - 20cm from the tail and 10cm of rocker!

Certainly saves a lot of weight and friction and the 25cm at the tail doesn't really make any difference. The "3meter" rule seems pretty standard although there is no real reason why the shop couldn't sell in 10cm or 50cm lengths. The whizzz skins are sold off the roll too, I believe. They look like a nice skin compared to the "industrial carpet" people like BD sell.
ski holidays
@Weathercam, pack your skins: Japan is flat as a pancake, you’ll need ‘em wink

Powdair tip holes are much larger. I’ve found the SG skins do tend to ‘catch’ a little more. However, it does provide an extra barrier against wind-related skin loss muppetry when transferring.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy