Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler/Canada help needed!

Poster: A snowHead
Any N. America Canada experts in the house?
Heading over to Whistler for the remainder of the season, staying with friends -have a couple of quick questions..
- What's the best way to go about a lift pass for this amount of time?
- What's the likelihood of being able to find some cash in hand work?

Any advice/pointers greatly appreciated!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cant answer your question regarding work but a season pass would still be available as the season would go well in to april maybe even may.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@gtcalder,
Your best bet is a season pass if going for the rest of the season.
That's if you are staying in the one resort or group ...

Canadian lift tickets have become realy expensive the last couple of years.
You can buy vouchers for most resorts from Cosco if you are a member.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
def go for the season pass. $156CA per day or $126CA if in advance would soon add up!! Cant believe a day pass is that much...robbery!! Was curious re the season pass and online it says that they are no longer available. I doubt that to be the case at the actual ticket office...just turn up and buy one, should be fine.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
All I know is my dad pays less being 'local', Edge Card or something. Might be worth getting one of your friends bills in your name? I think local staff also pay less for seasons passes if you get a job. It also used to be (last year anyways) that the 7-11 in Squamish sells regular lift passes for less. Sorry that's all I can help Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
BMG, I would suspect they are no longer available, if thats what it says. There is usually a cut off date for the sale of any season/ multi resort pass.

I'd certainly check before basing my trip on it, and heading over theregtcalder, As the costs would mount up quickly. You may find your friends if they hold a season pass can buy discounted tickets for you.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yeah unfortunately cut off for season passes has lapsed Sad and the maximum I can see available online is 14 days for $US1000 Shock Extortionate!
Will ask my friends over there to perhaps suss it out for me before I book flights.. Almost seems as though in this situation its one of those things that would be a lot easier to sort out over there.. don't particularly fancy chancing it with those prices however

Thanks for all the comments!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you don't have a work visa nobody will employ you. Far to big a risk in terms of punishments for them. They are very strict about it - even babysitting someone's kids in exchange fdor dinner would be classed as "work" and need a visa.

If you have a visa and can find work with someone affiliated to the mountain you will be provided with a season pass.

Last year people would sell day passes for 100cad. Every season pass came with 2 last year so there was a lot around. This year I'm guessing most people have taken the epic pass (as its actually cheaper than the wb season pass) which doesn't come with any as far as I'm aware.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I would suspect they are no longer available, if thats what it says. There is usually a cut off date for the sale of any season/ multi resort pass.

I remember years ago (was 10 years now!) I turned up at Fernie at the end of Jan and bought season pass, was no issue at all. I don't get the point in having a cut off date for season passes apart from the obvious factor of greed!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was in Whistler over Christmas (paying the expensive, even though purchased in advance, rates for 9 days consecutive skiing) and ended up talking to one of the ski instructors about ticket prices.

He said that Vail had taken the decision (that pre-sale Whistler had thought about, but never quite dared take) to stop selling season tickets after a certain point. From the conversation it was not clear to me whether this change would apply from this season or only from next season.

The rationale for the change was to get people to commit to comming to Whistler before the season got underway, rather than waiting and maybe not coming. This would certainly help provide more consistency to the cashflows.

He also made the point that the lift tickets do not cover the cost of running the mountain. Given how much more expensive the lift tickets are than in Europe it's not at all obvious that this should be the case, but then what you are getting for your money is very different to Europe. In North America all in-boundary skiing is avalanche controlled rather than just the pistes, ski patrol and medical evacuation are covered. Also, insurance costs are probably much higher than in Europe. On the other hand, in North America companies have a monopoly on ski instruction, on-mountain food sales and often property development.

I guess the only way to find out if the ticket prices are as extortionate as they feel is to go through the company accounts.

By all accounts, the switch over from Whistler's IT systems to Vail's (late last year) had more than its fair share of "teething" problems

I'd suggest ringing up Whistler to find out what the situation is w.r.t. season tickets. The staff on the desks were unfailingly helpful and in my case were able to help navigate through the different systems in a way that I could not have managed myself.

BTW: In addition to the main Whistler website, also have a look at snow.com/epicday. I don't think the prices are any lower, but feels less "clunky" to use to buy tickets than the main Whistler website after being merged with Vail's.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boarder2020 wrote:
If you don't have a work visa nobody will employ you. Far to big a risk in terms of punishments for them. They are very strict about it .... .

This. Whatever you do, when you're questioned at the border, if you don't have the paperwork, then do not mention that you are intending to work or looking for work. Make it clear you're a tourist with your own funds and a return ticket. Upon you they will fall like a ton of bricks if you cross that line. (If you think freedom of movement is evil, then this is the other side of the coin.)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yep the Vail model is to stop selling season passes sometime in December or to make latey waiteys pay thru the nose. If I was you I'd seriously advise another resort.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Yep the Vail model is to stop selling season passes sometime in December or to make latey waiteys pay thru the nose. If I was you I'd seriously advise another resort.
Agreed, no chance of "cash in hand" and you have missed the season pass. - Plan now for next year.
If you are under 30years old you can also have a look at the IEC Visa, though it is a lottery and no certainty of getting one [about 3 x more people apply than there are visas]
You need to apply now, if you get one you can then enter the country up to 12mths from the visa date and stay 2years after that.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
The rationale for the change was to get people to commit to comming to Whistler before the season got underway, rather than waiting and maybe not coming. This would certainly help provide more consistency to the cashflows

Doesn't really make sense from that point of view. Epic pass actually undercut the whistler blackcomb season ticket price. The wb pass came with some wb specific benefits, but I imagine most people just went for the epic pass as it was cheaper and means you can ski a bunch of other resorts for free. Buying an epic pass actually stops people committing to a single resort as they have the flexibility to wait to see where the snow is best.

I have mixed thoughts about the pricing model. Its fantastic for people that are going to be doing a season or a lot of skiing. It is terrible for people organising a last minute trip or short trip. If you know what you are looking for and book early there are reasonable deals to be had. For example epic local pass early bird price was £480 and got you 10 days skiing at whistler - which I think works out per day skiing pretty competitive with the big euro resorts.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boarder2020, If you buy the pass early enough and know what you are doing you can get some cheap skiing.
We bought the Mountain Collective this year, as doing a bit of a 4 state road trip - the pass cost $399 and using it for 9 days, so essentially costing about £34 per day. The rest of the days have been a mixture of cheap deals, from Liftopia and other sources. Cheapest we are paying is $23 per day Madeye-Smiley

Often pays to plan early rather than last minute, but appreciate some folks cant or wont do that. Vail are tryig to get everyone into the habit of buying the epic pass as a matter of course. I would think eventually most of NA will be covered by just a few group passes.
snow conditions
Definitely agree there are good deals to be had. While planning ahead is usually required, the max pass and mountain collective are both still on sale. Max pass is perfect for anyone wanting a powder highway trip as it gets you 5 days at each of fernie, kicking horse, Kimberley, and nakiska (works out about £55per day if you do 10 days, £38 per day for 15 days). Skiing in north america can be cheap buy you need plenty of time and a bit of planning.

Worth remembering that north american resorts avy control everything in bounds. So you get to ski all kinds of terrain - chutes, bowls, glades etc. all relatively safely. For this is Europe you would likely need a guide so perhaps a fairer comparison is Europe day pass + guide costs vs north american day pass Razz
ski holidays
Probably not what you're intention of the trip was for but @gtcalder, but it's worth while looking at/calling up some of the British companies out there, Inghams and Crystal are two that I know of, to see if they've had any drop out, injuries or extra positions opening up since the start of the season.

I've always heard of people having to come home early or getting injured. We had a nanny on our coach who sacked it in after 6 weeks to go home. That could solve the Visa and pass situation in one go. Though I'm not sure.

Completely agree with the above about not going without a visa to work, no-one will touch you with a barge pole.

Shame to hear about the season pass situation, I've had a few friends out there who doing seasons over the years and they always had people rock up half way through and manage to get some sort of discount. As above maybe call up and see what the situation is. They are super super helpful
latest report
@gtcalder, Also note you have to get a ETA visa before you go, I think its only about $8 and if you're not getting a work Visa I think the max stay is three months. You can no longer get round this by nipping over the boarder to the USA for a day and then coming back. You have to leave the Continent
ski holidays
0xley wrote:
@gtcalder, Also note you have to get a ETA visa before you go, I think its only about $8 and if you're not getting a work Visa I think the max stay is three months. You can no longer get round this by nipping over the boarder to the USA for a day and then coming back. You have to leave the Continent

max stay on holiday visa , six months , although this can be extended at ca immigration discretion Cool
latest report
Quote:

max stay on holiday visa , six months , although this can be extended at ca immigration discretion

is this an age thing for young people?

We looked into this and being in our late 30s were told 3 months max, we wanted to do a full season in Whistler and wrote if off as we were given the impression it was only 3 months in Canada so we were thinking a full season in Europe instead

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 19-01-18 15:43; edited 1 time in total
latest report
It should be 6mths but they do have the ability to make it less if they wanted to at the border. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1016&top=16&_ga=2.12651125.316739243.1516373036-1088172688.1512238912
It can also be extended too but needs to be a good reason.

Loads of people go to Whistler for 6mths .... but they can't work
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy