Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski mojo

Poster: A snowHead
Finally took the plunge, went had one fitted and purchased. Yet to ski in it, but my first thoughts are it is incredible. Nowhere near as much faffing to put it on as I thought it would be, and boy it takes the weight off your knees. Really cannot wait to hit the hills in it. Feels like cheating.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looking forward to your report on these - I have suffered a ruptured ACL in my left knee twice - yes, managed to rupture my repair! Also had numerous meniscus and cartilage tears in both knee and have been under the knife a total of 4 times for this in each knee. Suffice to say I will not be beaten by this and intend to ski on until I physically can't walk anymore or I knacker the impending titanium that will be replacing my knee joint in a few years time!

Can knee braces be worn in conjunction with the springs, or is there insufficient room for them?

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 13-01-18 17:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@OuchMyKnee, apt username!

Yes there is room for braces as well. Having played with them for a while It's really weird when you deactivate the spring and your body weight goes back on your knees.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
welcome to the club @scotspikey,
It is like cheating Smile

If you have the time and the inclination spend some time practicing getting them on and off and your pants on and connecting to your boots.

I've got it down to between 5 and 10 mins now ... those minutes matter when you have promised everyone to be down at the boot room at 9am.

Or sneak down the hotel stairs carpet when you know your not supposed to have your boots on.

Here is my real tip though ....
take some sticky back felt with you on your holiday.
I found a bit of chaffing coming from just the triggers, but some sticky felt mods have sorted that.

I've put some tape on mine to easily tell port from starboard.
(managed to fit them on the wrong legs once)

I'd like to work out a way "blanking" the Velcro to stop it attaching to something else.

@OuchMyKnee, I don't see any reason why a brace cant be worn with them. I haven't tried it but I can't see a problem.

I admire your continued dedication to our crazy pastime slithering down the mountains, that's how I feel. And welcome to the forum.

I'd like to be able to get some good ski pants that zipped up all the way up the outside to the waist for less phaafability. This would save so much
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wear mine with a big CTi brace..took a bit if fiddling wgen it was fitted but is fine
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@scotspikey, welcome to the Mojo Club.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well, after saying yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no on and off for the past 2 years as to whether I should buy some of these, I called up the gents at Snow Togs in Southampton with my questions regarding the wearing of hinged knee braces in conjunction with the Ski Mojo rig and was told to pop over and try them out.

I tried them and unfortunately, as a result am now £480 lighter in the pocket.... wow, Wow, WOW!

The gear was set up in the shop for me and as soon as I engaged the springs I gingerly went to squat to feel the effects and knew immediately that as soon as I get used to them there will be no turning back. I haven't managed to squat that deep in 20+ years, there was no pain and the wasted quadricep on my left leg felt as if I had been hitting the weights gym for the past couple of years.

Obviously the proof will be in the pudding once I hit the French Alps in 2 weeks time, but have not felt this confident in a long time... report will follow!

Thanks all for the advice and the gentle nudge into enquiring about them!

Andy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@OuchMyKnee, make sure your ski pants will go over all the gubbins....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@holidayloverxx, ... if not, naked skiing (now that hasn't been done for quite a few years!!!)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have just started wearing a mojo in conjunction with my Ossur CTi knee brace. It is a b****r to get them to work together, and you do need salopettes with a certain amount of room in them, but it is possible. The only way I can get them on properly and connected is as follows.
1) without salopettes on, put on ski boots and brace.
2) fit the mojo, ensuring that the hinge on the mojo sits behind the knee brace hinge. Get the whole thing set up, checking that they click into the lock position as intended, and then tighten up and note the scale markings on the rods.
3) Remove mojo, remove boots
4) Put on your salopettes, put your boots back on.
5)Keep the salopettes rolled down to between you knees and the ankles
6) From the top, 'thread' the mojo inside your salopettes, so that you can connect it to your boot, and repeat for the other leg.
7) Fasten the velcro straps on the mojo below and above the knee, and then fit the rest of the contraption.
8 ) Pull up your salopettes!
Obviously steps 1-3 only need doing the once.
Works for me, and I guess whether or not you need to follow this rigmarole depends on how bulky your brace is.

I have used it this way for a week and it does help take the pressure off the knees a bit. I have a totally ruptured ACL, and have had no issues with it. But then I haven't fallen over yet - that will be the big test. I don't find the mojo any kind of panacea, it doesn't help me ski any better (unfortunately), but I reckon I will definitely continue to use it. The only issues I've had with it are that the rods can get disconnected from the stud on the boots on occasion and it can be tricky to reconnect, especially on the leg with the brace, and the studs themselves can become unscrewed from the boot during skiing, so I need the hand tighten them often during the day. I should probably put some loctite on them.

Good luck!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@noggy, i have an ossur CTi. Fitting was similar but but the hinge on the mojo is pretty much aligned with the brace hinge..it was a faff but now the rods are in the right place its job done they dont get touched.

Putting on is easy. Put brace on then socks and leggings. Step into mojo and fasten the straps above and below the knee then fasten belt...it easier to take it off in one piece so you can just step into it. Put sallies on and roll up the legs. Put boots on and attach mojos...fiddly...roll down sallies.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That's how I used to try, but once strapped up I could never get the rod attached to the boot stud. If the mojo hinge is next to the cti hinge the whole thing is just too ridiculously wide, for me, and the angle that the lower rod makes with the boot is just not optimal - for me.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@noggy, yeah...my pants are pretty baggy. I dont really want to sit in the boot room with my pants down... Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@holidayloverxx, ! Yeah, well. I lost all remnants of pride many years ago Embarassed
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
First day in the dolomites wearing the mojo. What a difference, I tried a run with it off and my knees were screaming at me. Without it I could not carry on skiing much longer. Zero thigh burn as well. Really, really impressed. Sure it cost a lot, but if I start dividing days skied by it, in a couple of years it will seem a bargain.
ski holidays
I bought some for my wife and she has a bit of a love / hate relationship with them. She doesn't like the faff, particularly the hip/waist strap, occasionally gets painful rubs from velcro, had to buy different ski pants etc.
But, and it is a massive but, she can ski nearly every day of a holiday rather than the odd morning then returning to the flat to bury her knees in frozen peas.
Given that they are a bargain at £480
snow conditions
How do they work exactly?
I have congenital patella dislocation. Because of this, I have very little quad strength.
If I bend at the knee to much I am unable to stand back up using the strength from that leg, so my other leg does all the work.
Wondering if it would be suitable for me.
Oh & I snowboard, not Ski.

Currently doing Kaatsu with an NHS Physio is trying to build more muscle, but I know it wont help my knee problem, but should with balance.
ski holidays
@Mr.Egg,
http://youtube.com/v/xrOkoWYCDTA Wear ski pants on the top, thin base layer underneath
snow report
@Frosty the Snowman,

I saw that one earlier. I have no idea what he is saying though. He implies by bending it straightens under its own energy.
How does it work?
Does the spring bend & then straighten under its own power?
snow report
@Mr.Egg, I have no idea what he is saying, but you can see the physical apsect of the product and where it fastens to your boots. As you sink and bend the knees there is a spring that takes some of your weight. Because the hinge in the Mojo is centred at the knee it has the effect that it either makes your knees feel stronger, or it makes you feel lighter.... take yer pick. That is it really.

Yes there is a bit of morning and toilet faff, but they are utterly brilliant in my view.

As you say, with many chronic knee conditions the muscle strength can disappear very quickly and rehab can be painful, and in some case damaging. If you suffer from knee pain when the knee is bent and under load, then it reduces the load.....and pain and fatigue.

I also have an E-MTB Laughing Laughing Laughing

It isn't just knees, they would also hugely help knackered hips.
snow conditions
Looks interesting and I've always wondered if it would be good for any skier. Do any of you guys use it for performance without having any knee problems? Apart from the cost and faff of fitting, are there any disadvantages in use?
snow conditions
@uktrailmonster, Hmmm, could try that, but the boots may damage the bedroom carpet Shocked The only disadvantage I can think of is that it would make doing a step turn, jump turn, jump, or indeed any movement that required bending an unweighted leg, quite tricky, It would require significant hamstring activity. Does that make sense?
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
@Mr.Egg, I have no idea what he is saying, but you can see the physical apsect of the product and where it fastens to your boots. As you sink and bend the knees there is a spring that takes some of your weight. Because the hinge in the Mojo is centred at the knee it has the effect that it either makes your knees feel stronger, or it makes you feel lighter.... take yer pick. That is it really.

Yes there is a bit of morning and toilet faff, but they are utterly brilliant in my view.

As you say, with many chronic knee conditions the muscle strength can disappear very quickly and rehab can be painful, and in some case damaging. If you suffer from knee pain when the knee is bent and under load, then it reduces the load.....and pain and fatigue.

I also have an E-MTB Laughing Laughing Laughing

It isn't just knees, they would also hugely help knackered hips.

I think I will to try speak to them to see if I can somehow try one.
Toilet faff shouldnt be an issue... I already wear one-piece base layer & bib pants!
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
@uktrailmonster, Hmmm, could try that, but the boots may damage the bedroom carpet Shocked The only disadvantage I can think of is that it would make doing a step turn, jump turn, jump, or indeed any movement that required bending an unweighted leg, quite tricky, It would require significant hamstring activity. Does that make sense?

I think I see what you mean. That could potentially be an issue for me in certain situations. I'm probably not ready for one yet as thankfully my knees are still strong, but there are certainly times when my legs suffer from general fatigue and I wonder if the mojo would help. If I ever get chance to try one, I would be very curious to see how it feels.
ski holidays
@uktrailmonster, basically the mojo is a spring that wants to make your leg be straight, not bent
snow report
On the advice of a friend and a skiing physio I tried out and bought a ski mojo as a Christmas present to myself last week. Here are my views:

I have sever osteoarthritis in both knees that it so painful at times I can barely walk. I take rather more pain killers than I would like.
The type of skiing that was the most painful was slightly rutted hard packed blue pistes. The vibration through the knee was just too much to bear.

The ski mojo relieved the pain considerably. All I had to do was bend the knees a lot more than usual and let the device take the forces. In fact I didn’t take any pain killers after a few days when the inflammation of the knees died down.
I thought I was squatting down a lot, but since I was really forcing my shins into the boots and with a bend at the hips I was not actually “in the back seat”. In fact according to my son and wife my posture looked OK.

While going fast down empty red runs doing 1 second turns I found I was rebounding turn to turn. It has been a long time since I have been able to do that. It was good.

Now the downside. Engaging and disengaging the springs is a real pain. At the top of the first run each day I’d spend 10 to 15 minutes trying to get them to engage. The only way I could do it was to take my trousers down, take my gloves off yank the top rod up with one hand while forcing the hinge straight with the other hand and the knee. After that I never disengaged them all day which was not much of a problem on chairlifts (in fact the springs help when getting down onto very low chairs) but a real bind walking or in restaurants.
Does anyone have any advice on how to make this easier. It is the only downside that I can think of using the ski mojo
snow conditions
@johnE, hmmm..I just flick the tab closed and straighten my leg...it's instant. I can't even imagine what you are describing. I only disengage them when i take my skis off
ski holidays
@johnE, Try lengthening the bum strap by a cm or so each side. This has the effect of bringing the rod ends further forward which makes it much easier to engage.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks @noggy, I'll try that. It sounds logical, but the istructions say they have to be at the joint.
@holidayloverxx,
Quote:

hmmm..I just flick the tab closed and straighten my leg...it's instant.

Thats what they say in the promotional material, but it doesn't happen like that. I straighten my leg and - nothing. After much experimentation it is: skis off, gloves off, trousers down and lots of yanking. Wait a minute that sounds rude.
latest report
A little ahead does no harm, I reckon.
latest report
noggy wrote:
@johnE, Try lengthening the bum strap by a cm or so each side. This has the effect of bringing the rod ends further forward which makes it much easier to engage.

This. The top and bottom rods need to be in line.
I ended putting one straight leg forward and then pushing the hinge of the mojo back eith my hand to get it to engage.
I eventually did what Noggy suggetsed and when I stood up tall the mojo would engage no problem.
ski holidays
Thinking about it when i was first post injury with one weaker leg I had to physically push my knee back to straighten enough to engage.
ski holidays
Photos or a video of you would be helpful
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, I'm at home now and have left the mojo in Les Arcs. I push the knee back as far as it will go. It is a bit easier to do if I'm sitting down so I wonder if I have the rods a fraction too long. They are set at 50mm rather than 70.
snow report
@johnE, possibly.
ski holidays
I bought one last year after trying it out @Chill Factore in the summer. I've since used it in December 2019 in Obergurgl. Absolutely fantastic with so much less pain! No medication needed this last holiday.

With regards to the difficulty of engaging I practiced @ home with the whole set up attached. Minor adjustments to the rod length made a difference. I can now easily slide my leg back to engage, even on a slope if I've forgotten to engage after a lift ride.
I believe the Mojo also helped protect my knees on several spectacular falls.

Toileting got easier as the holiday progressed. As a lady it was actually easier to remove the top rods from the posture strap and pull the posture strap down over the outside of the upper rods. That way nowt got in the way of sitting down.
I did try my SheWee but that was really great too difficult with the posture strap in place.

On another note..... Anyone had issues with airport security with the Mojo in hand luggage?
It went through fine in December but after Innsbruck security confiscated a minute multitool (with no blades incidentally) that we always carry, I'm now concerned at some point in the future someone will confiscate the Mojo believing we'd use it as a blunt instrument tool!
Thoughts?
Keep in hand luggage as I can't ski without it, or risk the hold case going AWOL?
snow report
In reply to all of the above- I’m now on my second season using ski mojo- last winter I did 4 weeks spread over 3 trips, using the mojo meant I could ski all day every day.

My advice is to take sometime getting them set up before you go skiing. Adjustvthe straps and rods to fit you, make sure the stud position on the boots is correct (see instructions and try it with incorrect placement to get the feel). Then try it out on your local slope. Ski mojo have reps based at all the uk fridges- so try before you buy!
If you use the permanent studs then use loctite.
You can use your knee brace as usual, putting them on is really easy- if you find it a faff then you’re not set up properly.
In use is really easy and you can choose not to engage the springs if you want a “normal” run or want to do some exorcises. Again, I’d say that you’re not setup properly if you find it hard to engage/disengage the mojo.
All I. All I’d say that at a solo list price to a pair of boots the ski mojo is well worth it!
To be clear I don’t work for them!!!
I do work in healthcare and can (and do) recommend using the ski mojo
snow report
@TJToms, i never disengaged thr rods from the bum strap. Far too difficult to reattach. I just pull all the gubbins out of the way.

Never any problems With hand luggage in about 20 trips. I always carry the instructions with the photo on. I have only been asked about it once
latest report
@holidayloverxx
Good idea to carry the pictures of the Mojo to show security. I'll dig mine out to carry with me. Thanks for that.
As for your comment on disengaging the upper rods... It's so easy... On the mark 3 anyway. Takes a few seconds at the most.
snow report
Just for the record snao mojo replied to my query about the difficulty in engaging the device and suggested a modification to the setup that is not included in the instruction book. It is clear that it wasn't included for a reason so I will not publish it here, but I am satisfied with their reply and will be trying it when I go skiing again.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy