Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend me a jacket.....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
First thread ive started on here, so here goes,

I am returning back to skiing after a (short) while out and am looking to replace some of my gear, i'm now stuck on which jacket to buy so thought some input from you guys may be helpful. What i am looking for in a jacket is.......

Not over insulated - most use will be in europe and id rather add another layer underneath than be too hot the rest of the time
Waterproof
Powder skirt
Cuffs with thumbholes
Forearm pocket for ski pass
Not made of a material which rustles like crazy
hood - pref detachable
Must be blue Embarassed
around the £200 - £300 mark unless i NEED to spend more, im happy buying second hand gear (to be honest i would prefer to)

Thanks for any help, Andrew.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@LDP816, might worth looking at the stuff on sportpursuit web site. You can get some good buys on there.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
"unless i NEED to spend more"

Do you even need to spend that much in the first place? Lots of jackets would tick off that list for around half the price (or less).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have a look at the Scott Jackets @Sports Outlet, like this:

http://www.sports-outlet.co.uk/categories/mens/jackets/scott-armory-mens-jacket-2014

http://www.sports-outlet.co.uk/categories/mens/jackets/scott-jacket-ultimate-drx-maui-blue

http://www.sports-outlet.co.uk/categories/mens/jackets/scott-jacket-lombardo-150-maui-blue
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Schoeffel Obertauern 1 i reckon....

https://www.schoeffel.de/shop/men/ski/jackets/ski-jacket-obertauern1-2017-winter/

To avoid that rustly, ski in a crisp packet feel - avoid Gore-tex, who spend all their money on marketing rather than improving the material... their latest may be slightly better than their past efforts but is still nt up to Pertex for softness, stretch and comfort... Atomic used to use this material but have gone dwn the goretex route ( no doubt an offer they couldn't refuse ) ... seems Schoeffel is available at Snow and rock and ellis brigham, so give it a feel - it's their own german fabric and should do the trick.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
coops1967 wrote:

To avoid that rustly, ski in a crisp packet feel - avoid Gore-tex

I disagree on this. I've got 2 Goretex jackets that are totally rustle-free. One is a Marmot, the other Sweet Protection, both bought in end of season sales maybe 3 or 4 seasons ago. Both are Goretex Performance outers, but the material on each feels quite different. I've also got a much older Marmot Goretex "Pro shell" which does rustle annoyingly.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd also add zipped underarm vents or other zipped vents as a quick way to lose excess heat without needing to strip a layer.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have the Helly Hansen swift 3. It literally ticks all the boxes you've detailed and you can get it in blue! I'm still impressed with it after 2 years!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
https://www.hellyhansen.com/en_gb/catalog/product/view/id/234274/s/swift-3-jacket-65522/
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've just bought the Salomon Brilliant jacket - there were lots of options in that price range with the features that you're mentioning, and it just fit better than the others I tried. Bad news - The ski pass zip pocket is on the upper arm, not the forearm, I may have to Bend Ze Knees. Good news - it's available in blue.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
uktrailmonster wrote:
coops1967 wrote:

I disagree on this. I've got 2 Goretex jackets that are totally rustle-free. One is a Marmot, the other Sweet Protection, both bought in end of season sales maybe 3 or 4 seasons ago. Both are Goretex Performance outers, but the material on each feels quite different. I've also got a much older Marmot Goretex "Pro shell" which does rustle annoyingly.

Gore-Tex "Performance" is now only used in footwear, I think the current ranges are Gore-Tex, Gore-Tex Pro and Gore-Tex Active. Your performance is probable similar to what is currently just marketed as "Gore-Tex". The Gore=Tex isn't the outer fabric though, it's the membrane and is very rustle free is you ever actually hold a piece of it.

The current crop of Gore-Tex products marketed with a C-Knit backer will fit the bill for the OP.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
galpinos wrote:
uktrailmonster wrote:
coops1967 wrote:

The Gore=Tex isn't the outer fabric though, it's the membrane and is very rustle free is you ever actually hold a piece of it.

Exactly. The outers on both my Goretex "Performance" jackets are completely different in feel and texture and neither of them rustle like a crisp packet. IME it's the inner lining that can cause that crisp packet feel and the only one I've had that with is my very old "Pro shell" jacket.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Planks Clothing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Very much doubt if you need to break the £200 mark for a perfectly good new jacket

I bought a Picture Styler jacket off Surfdome for much less than that for this season and am very happy with it:

Waterproof - yes
Powder skirt- yes
Cuffs with thumbholes - yes
Forearm pocket for ski pass -yes
Not made of a material which rustles like crazy - yes
hood - pref detachable - no
Must be blue - lots of blue in their range
around the £200 - easily

It also has the usual google pocket and has under arm vents. They only only thing it doesnt ahve that my old jacket had is a small chest pocket which I liked for piste map/phone. But sit does have a plastic wallet for your phone in the inside zip pocket but its not that robust, ripping a bit already.

All up a great jacket especially for the price and you get a warm fuzzy feeling that its made with recycled material!

If I were you and you are not needing it urgently or are a fashion hound, I wold try a few on then wait to see if and when they pop up on sale from the usual suspect websites or check a price comparison site every so often
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy