Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How cold is too cold?

Poster: A snowHead
Layer up, get mitts, you'll be good
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
With modern breathable clothing there will be some heat drawn out in wind.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
under a new name wrote:
Remember wind makes a difference but wind chill is all about exposed skin and metabolic response.

Do you get a wind chill effect in your cars?

For sure Toofy Grin

http://bilder.bild.de/fotos/cabrio-wetter--die-coolen-fahren-auch-im-winter-offen--30543836-28275640/Bild/4.bild.jpg
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Canuck, not much. Precious little.

And remember, while skiing you are generating your own “wind chill”.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name wrote:
Remember wind makes a difference but wind chill is all about exposed skin and metabolic response.

Quite often, but its an acceptable trade off Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for all the replies Little Angel having been reassured that our limbs wont spontaneously fall off, we have booked to go to Obertauern.

OH has just admitted that he "doesn't have any mid-layers" so we're off to the shops!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Definitely recommend a balaclava to defend against the wind blowing thousands of small needles into your face.

The worst situation is when you get on the chair lift in the valley and there's no wind, and it's 10 degrees warmer, so you don't bother putting on the balaclava. Then as you get near the top you realize the temperature has dropped rapidly, the wind is gale force blowing horizontally into your face, and the lift then stops for several minutes...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Coldest I've ever skied is -20 with no sun. Holy **** was I freezing, even with an extra layer on. It was two runs, duck into lodge to warm up, repeat 2X and go home. My hands and feet get cold below -10, and adding liner socks doesn't help because my boots are sized to one pair of socks. I have skied -10 to -15 in the sun and felt fine, so long as I wiggle my toes aggressively on the lift.

To be honest in the French Alps at half term it rarely gets that cold. However, the northeast US, where I grew up -- it's routinely below 0 F, especially in northern VT.

Putting a positive spin on this thread, my ideal temperature is around -5 as it keeps the snow from melting/refreezing. I also like it when it's really warm and sunny, say 10 plus. Then it's just a light jacket and sunglasses and it's all good fun.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Once had a one piece wooly bear with zipped rear access, great not having to drop it for those occasions when needed

Used to regularly operate in Norway (not skiing) in minus 40 temperatures, wore special contact gloves cause touching bare metal without them resulted in your skin becoming attached

Learnt to avoid outside loo stops and not to gather "yellow" snow to boil water for a brew

Nowadays can just about manage up to minus 20 for a short while, then it's inside for a pit stop
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

No. But yes, if you sit on the roof.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bum wrote:
Definitely recommend a balaclava ...
The worst situation is when you get on the chair lift in the valley and there's no wind, and it's 10 degrees warmer, so you don't bother putting on the balaclava. Then as you get near the top you realize the temperature has dropped rapidly, the wind is gale force blowing horizontally into your face...

Good trick with balaclavas is to wear them with the bottom rolled up, as a hat ( under your helmet if you wear one). No need to have over face all the time, and don't get too hot, but can be pulled down quickly in said lift or other sudden cold situation. Personally though, I prefer 2 separate buffs, one under helmet as kind of low bandana around upper face and the other under helmet strap round neck, able to pull up over face quickly or push back down once wind chill decreased. I overheat easily, so constantly having to adjust for hot/cold on runs, lifts etc.
Zips are also great heat regulators - lots of zip-fronted layers (base, fleece and jacket) for me.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:

Wind chill is caused by evaporative cooling from a permiable surface like skin. More wind equals more evaporation so brrr.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@mcspreader, no, not so much.

You feel colder in moving air 1. from evaporative cooling if you have exposed skin and the physio response to that. But presumably you don't have so much skin exposed when skiing? Face, maybe?

@Canuck, "With modern breathable clothing there will be some heat drawn out in wind" - I really don't think permeability of a waterproof membrane = lack of wind resistance.

2. from accelerated conductive cooling - if you are not insulated - again, I presume most people have some insulation and aren't skiing in a cotton t-shirt and shorts.

There have been a few comments here and elsewhere fretting and worrying about "windchill" so I am presuming some "clever" dev has recently added the figures to some forecasting bot. rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Grizzler wrote:
bum wrote:
Definitely recommend a balaclava ...
The worst situation is when you get on the chair lift in the valley and there's no wind, and it's 10 degrees warmer, so you don't bother putting on the balaclava. Then as you get near the top you realize the temperature has dropped rapidly, the wind is gale force blowing horizontally into your face...

Good trick with balaclavas is to wear them with the bottom rolled up, as a hat ( under your helmet if you wear one). No need to have over face all the time, and don't get too hot, but can be pulled down quickly in said lift or other sudden cold situation. Personally though, I prefer 2 separate buffs, one under helmet as kind of low bandana around upper face and the other under helmet strap round neck, able to pull up over face quickly or push back down once wind chill decreased. I overheat easily, so constantly having to adjust for hot/cold on runs, lifts etc.
Zips are also great heat regulators - lots of zip-fronted layers (base, fleece and jacket) for me.

Similar to me. I have a few snoods of varying thickness that I use. Keep them rolled down if its warm, but when we go up high and/or on a cold lift I can roll it up to cover mouth/cheeks/nose/ears very easily. Then when I get going again and warm up, can just pull it down on the move.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Grizzler wrote:

Yup; I learned some time ago to stay away from polo necks unless there's at least a throat zip. I use a buff for the neck.

I also use my armpit zips a lot and this is now one of the main features I look for in a ski jacket. Gives me a wide range of regulation for limited luggage capacity / need to stop and strip off or put on a layer.
snow report
Easy peesy, skied in NOrway, often drops to -20 even had -25, just make sure you have good thermals, a fleece and a ski jacket, you will be fine, its refreshing! Laughing
ski holidays
Have skied -34C in Sweden and -36C in Stowe. Both with no wind to speak of. In Stowe however they were checking that you had no exposed skin on the lifts to avoid frostbite and it was really a case of one run top to bottom then in doors for a hot chocolate to warm up.
ski holidays
Having erred on the safe side and invested in a balaclava, the forecast is now looking much warmer for next week! Still, I can always return it if not worn (or commit a string of burglaries).
latest report
@polkadot,
Quote:

Having erred on the safe side and invested in a balaclava, the forecast is now looking much warmer for next week! Still, I can always return it if not worn (or commit a string of burglaries).

Wise words young promising sH and if nabbed please mention the sH forum Laughing

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 16-01-18 6:02; edited 1 time in total
latest report
-20c yesterday in Stowe, too cold for me and I had 3 base layers and a face mask!
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:

Aye - but my drivers window won't wind up Laughing Laughing
snow report
In Winter Park a couple of years ago it was around -20 and sunny, very very cold but on clear days you can find a bit of sun or carve a few turns and generate some heat.

MrsHD suffers from cold hands and feet so boot heaters and disposable hand warmers are on stand by at all times. An unhappy wife makes for a miserable day out.
snow conditions
I think it depends a lot on how dry it is (cold and wet is a very bad combination) and how windy. I don't notice much difference between -5 and -20 if it's dry with little wind. Okay maybe toes and fingers might start to get a little cold below -15, but rarely a problem if I take a warming break every couple of hours. I always wear a merino balaclava under my helmet and neck scarf at low temps. Always surprises me how many people still have their faces exposed in those conditions.

I actually feel much colder in the UK at +5 when the air is damp and I'm not dressed appropriately!
ski holidays
@under a new name,
Even wearing windproof clothing the warm air layers under your shell are more vulnerable to being sucked out than the air in a car. you don't have airtight seals round your neck, cuffs, waist etc
ski holidays
Was once on a French chair that registered -30 including the wind chill. It was such a blizzard that almost nobody in resort had bothered coming out of their warm hotels. The look on the face of the guy in the wooden shack,as 3 snowmen huddling into each other came over the brow - it's priceless!
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
When your nostril hair or eyelashes freeze when you step outside that's too cold...

Frost in my beard is cold. Frozen nostril hair is very cold... 2" snotcicle on your nose is too cold On the plus side, being able to snap it off and throw it away is less messy than wiping it on the back of your glove. Toofy Grin
latest report
-20 in Norway no problem. As has been said, it's the wind that's the "killer". Definitely layers and we had snoods covering our lower faces, up to our masks too (although that gets a bit steamy). Waiting for the lifts is when you get cold of course but in fairness, we never queued in either Norway or Finland so not a problem.
snow conditions
I have skied in Sweden at Are when it was -24 during the day but windless. I was plenty warm enough. One day at Glenshee wearing the same kit it was -9 and blowing a gale and I felt I had no clothes on. Wind is the big factor when it comes to feeling cold.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
-20 on the Saas Fee glacier with instructors who were Eurotest Training.

I was OK (flippin cold, but OK to continue).
I noticed one girl was sat down, huddled up, and looking a white as a sheet. Hypothermia was setting in.

I over-ruled her protestations and just went into "Dad" mode and ordered her to follow me down the mountain to the restaurant. Believe me...there was no arguing!

Inside I made her take her jacket and gillet off and got some hot drinks into her. It still took a couple of hours before she felt (and looked) normal.
snow report
@jedster, you don’t Puzzled

My point is merely that “windchill” has suddenly become a thing, when it only was ever somewhat theoretical (albeit real, esp. if caught out) and not something that someone appropriately equipped should worry much about, especially skiing.

Now it has its own web ratings, well, it’s all over the place wink

+ when my GPS is telling me I’m doing 120kph and faster than anyone who’s taken lessons EVER do I care if I’m cold ? [/cynic][/skeptic]
ski holidays
How cold?
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/thermometer-in-world%e2%80%99s-coldest-village-breaks-as-temperatures-plunge-to-62c/ar-AAuM9Hu?li=BBoPRmx
latest report
@under a new name,
I don’t know, I’ve been hiking, skiing, climbing, sailing for > 30 years and windchill has always been a thing in my world. Hypothermia risk is worse when it’s windy
snow report
Even wearing top quality gear, when the wind gets up in an exposed chairlift you REALLY know about it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy