Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

British Airways 190cm restriction on skis

Poster: A snowHead
Do BA actually enforce their 190cm restriction on the length of skis? It represents a real problem for anyone wanting to fly with cross-country or off piste skis. And other airlines, in so far as they have a length restriction, tend to be much more generous, 250cm on Norwegian, and the same on Flybe Embraer flights for example. When packed my ski bag is 200cm long. Do I avoid BA or risk them not noticing the extra 10cm? Anyone have any relevant experience?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
To be honest, even most off-piste skis these days are within 190cm so I suspect your issue is a fairly niche problem.
That said, my ski bag is 195cm long and has travelled on about 10-12 BA flights in the last 2 years, and has never been rejected.

I'd pack it to 200cm and chuck it on, I'd bet they don't notice.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
well you normally take the bag to oversize baggage drop.
So not sure who/where they would bring up a sizing issue.
Surely once your bag is accepted in the airport they have a duty to load it?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mines 197cm and I’ve flown loads of time s with BA, including log haul, and it’s never been an issue.

However, I’d make sure you don’t stand it on end while waiting in the check in queue Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My ski bag is a bit more than 210cm and I've never had someone measure it. I'd say you'd be pretty unlucky to get stopped
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
TheresaMay wrote:
Do BA actually enforce their 190cm restriction on the length of skis? It represents a real problem for anyone wanting to fly with cross-country or off piste skis. And other airlines, in so far as they have a length restriction, tend to be much more generous, 250cm on Norwegian, and the same on Flybe Embraer flights for example. When packed my ski bag is 200cm long. Do I avoid BA or risk them not noticing the extra 10cm? Anyone have any relevant experience?

Flybe have a 167cm length restriction for the Q400.
Quote:
There are restrictions on the length of skis and snowboards permitted: -

E195/E175

Max Length 8.2ft / 2.5metres

Q400

Max Length 5ft 6in / 1.67metres

Any skis/snowboards over these lengths will only be accepted on a space available basis.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
never had an issue with this. Not even worth worrying about
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I once had my ski bag measured for length when flying with BA. I was at Tokyo Narita, flying back to the UK. The BA staff on that occasion seemed keen to enforce the rules with great precision, and measured my ski bag twice, once when it was lying on the floor and once when it was standing on end. Never had that happen on any other occasion when flying with BA (or any other airline), normally dropping the bag at the Oversize desk without any check on the length (and fairly often without weighing it either). I've flown from Narita on other occasions and the ski bag wasn't measured, so perhaps it was just a one-off experience.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 12-01-18 9:20; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Only had my ski bag weighed on BA on both outbound from UK and inbound, never measured for length. Its about 180-190cm.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
When we checked-in for a BA flight to Geneva from London City in mid December, although the check-in desk weighed our ski bag and were fine about it (it's under 190cms but did on this occasion weight about 23.5 kgs according to their scales), when I took it to the oversize desk the guy there was rather awkward, said that it weighed 26kgs on his scales (we hadn't added anything to it in the 30 seconds between the two desks) and because there was a discrepancy between the weight on the ticket and his scales I'd have to take it back to the check-in desk and get it ticketed as being 26kg.

First time I've ever encountered that in 4 years of travelling with the bag. Recently only bought a 2nd bag that is 195 cms long, not too concerned, although not particularly 'helpful' that EVOC have stitched/labelled it '195cms' in a fairly visible position on the bag exterior !.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I’ve flown on the Embraers a couple of times with FlyBe. Each time they just didn’t allow carriage of skis because the ho,d wasn’t big enough. Everyone was told well in advance.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pavel38 wrote:
Recently only bought a 2nd bag that is 195 cms long, not too concerned, although not particularly 'helpful' that EVOC have stitched/labelled it '195cms' in a fairly visible position on the bag exterior !.

I have the very same gripe. Bought a 195cm Evoc roller bag thinking "I hope BA won't notice" only to find out when it turned up that EVOC have done BAs job for them and advertised it on the side in bright white writing.

Did the only thing I could (and the only thing I can recommend) - took a black laundry marker and 'fixed' it.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Checking a 210cm bag with BA in a couple of hours. If I have a problem I'll let you know 😀.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all your responses to this.

Seems it's unlikely to be a problem.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@TheresaMay, welcome to Snowheads! Sort this Brexit rubbish out will ya? Very Happy
snow report
Yes and no. I had an interesting 2 minutes when I realized that the guy checking in my skis had noticed the 195cm marking on the bag (same as DP), but I joking insisted that it was only 190 and he let them on without a problem.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
I once had my ski bag measured for length when flying with BA. I was at Tokyo Narita, flying back to the UK.

Same here actually! But my bag dwarfed the poor wee Japanese lady trying to put it on the baggage belt..

For those with evoc bags, should have bought a Dakine! My high roller has 186cm plastered on it, but it swallows my 186 skis with ease, it must be at least 195?!

I stick a bit of duct tape on my ski bag with my name it to aid retrieval, perhaps do this and conveniently lose the 195cm under that label... Toofy Grin
latest report
I was looking at my dakine 190 bag towering over me (I'm just short of 6ft 3) and was thinking hmm, but no problems
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy