Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Airbag / air pocket

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
OK, here is a question from someone who knows nothing about airbags and never skis off-piste ....

I've looked at a few videos of airbags deploying and they seem to do a good job of keeping the victim above the snow. Is that always the case? I only ask because I've noticed, I think, that airbags seem to inflate mostly behind the wearer. Why wouldn't it be better if they inflated in such a way that they almost surround the entire head? That way they would provide better impact protection and, if they eventually deflate, leave behind a much bigger air pocket for anyone buried. I'm sure there are good reasons why not, but I was curious. Anyone care to enlighten me?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@foxtrotzulu, The Mammut Protection series offer the most protection, as the surround your head, but also restricts vision.

As far as I am aware, only the Jetforce battery packs deflate quicky (after 3 minutes) to provide an air pocket.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@PowderAdict,
Quote:

The Mammut Protection series offer the most protection, as the surround your head, but also restricts vision.

Ah, Good point. I'd forgotten about the fact that you might need to retain some vision. I was thinking of them a bit more like car airbags.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snowpulse which I think became the Mammut series did used to market themselves on this head protection. Trade off was that it meant the airbag had to be contained in shoulder straps which were bulky and inflexible. Owners said they didn't find it a problem but I found it uncomfortable when trying to choose a pack. and a pack you aren't wearing because its uncomfortable isn't much use.

I'm also not sure the head is your biggest vulnerability in a avy, particularly if you are already wearing a helmet. Yes you might get pounded into a rock or tree but I understand crush injuries of the chest and torso are the most common fatal trauma. Not got the stats on that though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My guess is it doesn’t make too much difference. If you are swept over a cliff or pounded by rocks and trees you’re in trouble either way. The hope with an airbag, whatever type, is that you are not totally buried.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The physics behind an airbag relates to the behaviour of multi-phase flows; in this case pulverised snow and air. Objects of larger volume will rise to the surface when multi-phase regimes exist (that is, agitated snow/air mix in an avalanche). An airbag increases your volume and hence increases your chances of ending up on top of the snow.

Not a lot of good in a wet snow avalanche as you will be crushed.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy