Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jones Explorer: Opinions?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Thinking about buying my first board, in the past I've put up with rentals but I've had enough of that.

I'm an intermediate "Sunday driver", not into tricks and prefer cruising, if there is powder I'll happily spend the whole day off piste..

I'm thinking of this in 161W, I'm 6ft1 and about 90kg: https://www.viladomat.com/fitxaesport/AD/es_ES/explorer/jones+snowboards/380334/1021/4/0/0

Any opinions / alternatives?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Explorer sits between the Flagship and the Mountain Twin in the Jones range in terms of stiffness and . Great board, v.popular, but ask yourself why are you going for this one rather than the Flagship? It's a better freestyle board than the Flagship, it's a better mountain/powder board than the Twin...

If you go for it don't forget you'll want a medium stiff/stiff binding and reasonably firm boots too to get the best out of it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@richard There is about a €120 price jump to the flagship...and my budget is about €550 inc bindings

What bindings would you recommend for the Explorer?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd look at Burton Cartels or the Union Force or Atlas bindings.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's a nice board. Demoed it but went with a mountain twin in the end as a daily driver. Have other boards for powder and bombing groomers, but the MT is pretty good in powder too.

The flagship is quite stiff and likes going quick. I'll probably pick one up at some point but not sure I would want it as a daily driver for busy/slower groomers.

Have ridden the MT with Union Force MC's and Now Drives. Goes fine with both, although prefer the Now Drives on it for all day use in choppy snow.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thinking about the Salomon Super 8 now...

Can anyone help in figuring out the difference between these 2 models?

https://www.alpinstore.com/es/esqui-tabla-de-snowboard/snowboard/snowboard/alpino/97952-snowboard-loc-salomon-snowboard-super-8-rtl.html

https://www.alpinstore.com/es/esqui-tabla-de-snowboard/snowboard/snowboard/alpino/97662-snowboard-salomon-snowboard-super-8.html
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
One is extrudo doublo directiono
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ah, is RTL -> rental?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
https://www.salomon.com/uk/product/super-8.html?article=399248

Taperedo directiono tabla
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have a rental version of the Salomon Derby, it doesn't have the pointy tips but is otherwise the same and it cost £120 from SnowInn, great board.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Went for the Jones Explorer in the end, took it out for the first time yesterday into some new snow and I love it!

It doesn't feel very fast but it's super stable and forgiving, on piste carving is a dream with it, and it absolutely floats on powder, no fear of getting stuck anywhere...

As an aside steer clear of Alpinestore above, I originally ordered a board from them but they never had it, time wasters

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 29-01-18 15:32; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
+1 for Now bindings if you can get hold of them, even second hand. They are worth it.

Also got a Mammutt rucksack from Apinstore fine with no problems, took about a week to ship but great communication and price. Saved £20 on the UK price including postage.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@mrvinegar, how was the explorer overall? would you recommend it?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@gainz Yeah I love it ! I’m no expert but for on piste carving and off piste powder it’s awesome . Doesn’t feel very fast but it’s super stable . You do need hard bindings to get the most out of it though as mentioned above, my bindings are a bit entry level and the responsiveness could be better for quick turns
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@mrvinegar, thanks I think I'll pull the trigger on one too.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy