Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Airbag practice

Poster: A snowHead
Saw this on my Instagram feed. Thought it was pretty cool. You can hear it's a jetforce (electric) type.

https://instagram.com/p/BdxnKz_Hbdq/
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Themasterpiece, thanks. Definitely an advantage of a battery operated airbag over the gas cylinders.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I haven't thrown myself down a slope with my Jetforce, but it has been tested a few times, mainly by guides. However, I think it is a good idea to test in this manner, as the normal method of testing is to announce you are going to trigger it, and then pull the handle while standing up. Trying grab and pull the handle while rolling down a hill is a different matter.

I always despair when I see Avalanche Airbag packs advertised as excellent condition, never fired. This means they don't actually know if it works, and have been skiing not knowing if it works.

Like anything designed for an emergency situation, unless its tested, you'll never know. I'm from an Engineering/IT background, where Disaster Recovery plans abound, and an untested plan is pointless. One computer room had the usual Uninterruptible Power Supplies, and back up generators, the problem only identified during testing was that the generators fuel pump was on the unprotected mains supply, rather than the protected one, so the power failed after 2 minutes rolling eyes
snow conditions
 JeffJeff
JeffJeff
Interesting to see. I assumed avalanche airbags were just powered by compressed gas and therefore were not reusable.

Does seem a little criminal to me that they are so expensive though. I mean it's not like an airbag in a car is an optional extra...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JeffJeff wrote:
Interesting to see. I assumed avalanche airbags were just powered by compressed gas and therefore were not reusable.
Most are, but in the last year or two one manufacturer, Black Diamond, has brought a battery powered model to market. Much easier to practice with as you recharge the battery. With the gas powered models you have a small fee and a slightly larger hassle factor in recharging the cylinder, unless you live fairly close to a centre which can refill the cylinder.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have a BD halo airbag ( or avalanche rescue bag as they like to be known ) and have been practicing with it in a simulated live situation as it’s seems to be a factor that In a real avi that some bags are not activated when needed ?? Maybe due to disorientation etc
With the airbag packs slowly becoming the fourth part of the essential avalanche kit I think the ability to practice whilst out in the environment is a great tool in your survival kitbag
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arcteryx also do a battery operated model, https://arcteryx.com/gb/en/shop/voltair-20-backpack

Not cheap!!! But looks mint.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You can practice pulling the trigger on any avi bag without actually activating the cylinder(s).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I heard optimal testing conditions for airbags were getting caught in a faffing emergency on the terrace of the bar.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon wrote:
You can practice pulling the trigger on any avi bag without actually activating the cylinder(s).

You can but make sure you haven't got the firing pin connected as if the pin is not connected to the bottle it can damage the pin, meaning it might not fire correctly the next time and possibly when you actually need it. Also, after you activated the handle, wouldn't you need a new handle?

Mind you, if you have a jet force airbag then the above doesn't apply to you.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Interesting to see that even though it was a practice and he knew what he was going to do, it still took him a while to find the trigger and activate it.

He travelled quite a way before it deployed.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spyderjon wrote:

This is not advised with ABS bags.
Pulling the handle when the canister is not in place will damage the puncture unit and would need repairing.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
I heard optimal testing conditions for airbags were getting caught in a faffing emergency on the terrace of the bar.

This on,y happens if you are over 1m80cm and have a Scott Alpride. Is that what you were referring to? 😜
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think you'll find that it's precisely advised in the instructions for the Mammut 3.0 bags at least.

There's a plastic "dummy load". You screw that in where the cylinder would go, then you can pull the mechanical release to your heart's content.

There's no "puncture" concept - it's a mechanical trigger.

--
On Jet Force... I'd like to like them, but they're huge and ugly in all their incarnations. I also rode with a bunch of rather good Australians all of whom had them, but weren't using them because they'd had lots of firmware/ battery issues with them. Perhaps they need a little time to mature.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
philwig wrote:
I think you'll find that it's precisely advised in the instructions for the Mammut 3.0 bags at least.

There's a plastic "dummy load". You screw that in where the cylinder would go, then you can pull the mechanical release to your heart's content.

There's no "puncture" concept - it's a mechanical trigger.

--
On Jet Force... I'd like to like them, but they're huge and ugly in all their incarnations. I also rode with a bunch of rather good Australians all of whom had them, but weren't using them because they'd had lots of firmware/ battery issues with them. Perhaps they need a little time to mature.

The firmware issues was part of a recall. The battery issue was the first charge not registering as charged and only required the first charge to be an overnight. This was only relevant on drained packs that had been in a shop for ages and had totally drained.

I have one and yes they are heavy. However, the pack is so comfy that the weight is compensated by the great fit.
latest report
willski17 wrote:
spyderjon wrote:

This is not advised with ABS bags.
Pulling the handle when the canister is not in place will damage the puncture unit and would need repairing.

My bad, I'll amend my statement then to you can practice pulling the trigger on any non ABS/explosive trigger avi bag without actually activating the cylinder(s) Toofy Grin
snow report
With regards to this issue that you can't pull the handle when the canister is not in place...

How do you release tension in the spring without setting off the airbag? IE for travel etc
snow report
@spyderjon
You are excused , how does it feel to be on the other end of a correction for a change!? NehNeh

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 11-01-18 12:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

This on,y happens if you are over 1m80cm and have a Scott Alpride. Is that what you were referring to? 😜

1m80cm? There's plenty of snowHeads who fit that bill.

But yes I recognise myself Madeye-Smiley to be fair, I got my fingers in the pressure relief pretty quickly and kept it fairly covert. People only know about it because I told them!
snow report
dp wrote:
With regards to this issue that you can't pull the handle when the canister is not in place...

How do you release tension in the spring without setting off the airbag? IE for travel etc

There is no spring in the ABS activation handle so not sure what you mean?

When travelling with the bags you should detach the handle.
snow conditions
oh I see. sorry I have an Alpride bag which works differently - and you do have to pull the handle with no cylinders attached in order to relieve the pressure.
ski holidays
My bad too spyderjon and dp. I didn't realise there was a different system as well as the abs and jetforce
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy