Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dirty wax after scraping

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have been servicing my own skis for several years and familiar with the colour of wax when scraping. Today I have noticed an amount of dirt in the wax when scraping which is much more noticeable than any other time.
Probably not an issue for me as the bases look good and the structure appears to also be in good condition. Can’t think it will make much difference to the performance of the skis either, no aspirations of joining the World Cup tour😉.
Interested in peeps thoughts on this and the only reason I can put this down is either the heat of the iron which I had only marginally hotter today (top sheet remained cool)so did this aid a better and deeper delivery of wax into the structure or is it simply the fact that the last place I skied was dirtier snow. If it’s more likely the dirty snow then I think lech should get out and provide cleaner snow with the amount of money they must make in that resort 😂.
Will it help to rewax and scrape again or is that even needed?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If its dirty the convention is to do a "hot scrape", melt the wax on then scrape it off while its still warm, and repeat until the wax is clean, the hot is supposed to bring the dirt out with it.
Spiderjon is an expert on this - https://thepisteoffice.com/index.php/tuning-guide/9-base-tuning.html
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I suspect that, unless you are trying to shave 0.1s off your time down the Hahnenkamm, it won't make a difference😊
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Maybe, but I followed Jon's advice and also scrubbed/polished my snowboard with "structure pads" basically brillo pads at the end and I glided over the flat parts so so well, I was overtaking skiers on the flat and my friend who got his board waxed at the shop while we were there struggled on the flat.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@MogulMonkey, there's dirt/contaminants in the base so the next time you service your skis do a hot scrape clean first to clean it out then wax as usual.
Note that a hot scrape clean pulls all of the wax out of the base so you might want to then consider doing more than one wax application.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
One question.. Have you been to an indoor snow dome recently?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Took 4 hot scrapes to get a clean base after a 2 day visit to the landgraaf indoor snow dome, snow was visibly dirty on the right hand slope
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fish_Head wrote:
Took 4 hot scrapes to get a clean base after a 2 day visit to the landgraaf indoor snow dome, snow was visibly dirty on the right hand slope

A two hour session at Milton Keynes will do that - it's the diesel exhaust from their piste basher.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Haven’t used them in a fridge. I did a second wax after my original post and the wax was clean so it was either dirty snow from last March in Lech or using a slightly hotter iron and the wax penetrated a bit deeper and pulled out deep rooted dirt which had not been reached by previous waxing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yep OK. The reason why I asked about indoor snow was because they add oil additives to the water used for making it (it's not quite diesel from the piste machine!). Tamworth was pretty bad for this, and Milton Keynes has particularly sloppy snow that marks light bases a lot.

For natural snow, it all depends on where it is on the mountain, when it last snowed with freshies, and what the freeze/thaw cycle has been. I don't think any resort could guarantee 'clean snow' anywhere in the world. It'll all turn to muddy wet soup at some point wink

In any case it's common practice for some to use a really cheap wax as a first run, scrape it off to get rid of dirt/impurities, and then use your 'proper' wax for a 2nd hotwax, which is the one that impregnates your PTEX with all the goodness it needs.

Personally I just use a solvent base cleaner, because I'm too lazy to do all that scraping twice!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Flinnster, thanks, what solvent cleaner do you use?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've used a mix over the years - Swix citrus based 'base cleaner/stripper', Zardoz Base Cleaner, and Data Wax Base Cleaner.
They're all roughly citrus based solvents and remove oily grime in the same way, no need to get picky over the exact brand.

Whether they truly remove all wax I'm not sure, but I'm heating the base and re-waxing with new wax straight afterwards anyway, never been a problem in nearly 2 decades doing my own boards.

latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy