Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone else seeing Black squirrels

Poster: A snowHead
I know I've mentioned this before and was advised that they are not squirrels but it seems over the past couple of days now seeing more of them, now at the bottom of our garden in the pine trees, and my neighbor says the same.

Then walking dogs this AM, OH said one shot out across the track and last week saw two in different trees whilst on the same chair lift.

Though the best was today, whilst on a chair lift, a white hare appeared legging it across and up the snow field that the chair was going up and then once over the ridge where it plateaus he went down only to then come back up again crossing another snow field, he must have done well over a 2 km flat out!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What colour are the tablets that you are taking?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We have quite a few black squirrels here, but at present they are not at this altitude, although my dogs are obsessed with something in the large stone boulders behind the house in the garden, maybe they've hibernated there Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Once on holiday in the summer in Provence and the house we'd rented was infested with them, they were running around the stucco walls and coming in/ out of the place down the chimney.

Lit a fire and that sorted them out! bit warm though, it was about 30C!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Saw one in the Jura when we were last there....I wondered if it was my eyesight! Glad to hear that I wasn't imagining it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We have a few around us in Chamonix. My understanding was that they are just a very dark red.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name is correct - Eurasian red squirrels coats can morph between black and red. In Scotland, more typically red, but in Europe can often be very dark to black.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Black squirrels are quite common in Letchworth Garden City, believe it or not...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Weathercam, ,,,yep...we have loads of them on the Crans Montana side of the Valais...

And before the argument starts about the white diamonds on chests: the one around us are Black....and squirrely.

Small squirrel symmetry fact: did you know that Germans cannot say 'squirrel' and English cannot say the German for 'Squirrel'?

Squirrel
Eichhörnchen

We have very close German friends - and all their children have stayed with us in UK to learn English. Except the word 'squirrel'.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Frosty the Snowman, I now have my decent camera out and ready for the next time I see it Toofy Grin

And they are as black as black with pointy ears
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
valais2 wrote:
@Weathercam, ,,,yep...we have loads of them on the Crans Montana side of the Valais...

And before the argument starts about the white diamonds on chests: the one around us are Black....and squirrely.

Small squirrel symmetry fact: did you know that Germans cannot say 'squirrel' and English cannot say the German for 'Squirrel'?

Squirrel
Eichhörnchen

I have no problems with that: Eichhörnchen
there you are
A small squirrelly thing that eats Eichel I guess.
The black and red are the same species. Maybe the colour changes with the season?

> was advised that they are not squirrels

If it eats nuts like a squirrel and quacks like a squirrel, it is a squirrel.

latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I saw a black one in Ellmau at Christmas.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@davidof, ...yes...but I didn't hear you say it. We say it and all our German friends start rolling on the floor with laughter and falling off their dining chairs. That's the point at which we ask them to say 'squirrel'. Much hilarity.

OK - there are squirrels which change from light brown to VERY dark brown in winter (white chest)
Then there are squirrels which are a black mutation (no white chest) and dont' change colour

We have both on the south-facing side of the Valais. Unless some are dying their chest hair.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Unless some are dying their chest hair.

Wouldn't put it past the Swiss ones.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
valais2 wrote:
@davidof, ...yes...but I didn't hear you say it. We say it and all our German friends start rolling on the floor with laughter and falling off their dining chairs.

I do the same when I hear Swiss Germans or Bavarians speak.
ski holidays
valais2 wrote:

Then there are squirrels which are a black mutation (no white chest) and dont' change colour

do they look like this?

latest report
@davidof, see you too have been looking at Black Squirrels in Google Images Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Tons in the woods around us. Drives our lab bonkers (his brain can't cope with vertical escapes) All dark brown/black. The only things round here with white chests are the pine martins.
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
@davidof, see you too have been looking at Black Squirrels in Google Images Toofy Grin

You should try and get some hybrids like that !
latest report
@gvj, The stone martens around here have white bits on their chests, and fluffy tails too, and when being chased at speed by the dog its hard to see if it's a black squirrel or a Fouine.
snow report
The black ones in the UK are an imported species from North America, indeed first spotted in the Letchworth area. They’re quite widely dispersed now. Possibly descendants from a single rogue black squirrel released over a hundred years ago and closely related to the greys. The European ones appear to be a different species related to the red squirrels. Indeed I saw several in Saas Fee a few years ago and they did indeed have the same ear shape as red squirrels. They were quite tame and would approach tables in the restaurant I used.
ski holidays
@WindOfChange, Interesting, the locals call the martens round here fouine but they look more like pine martens than stone martens. Whichever they are, they're too cool and crafty ever to have to run away from our dog Very Happy
snow conditions
I see a few black squirrels in my neck of the woods in Austria, including one unfortunate chap who mistimed his dart across the road and was flattened by a lorry!
ski holidays
geepee wrote:
They were quite tame and would approach tables in the restaurant I used.

unlike the waiters Happy
snow conditions
gvj wrote:
@WindOfChange, Interesting, the locals call the martens round here fouine but they look more like pine martens than stone martens. Whichever they are, they're too cool and crafty ever to have to run away from our dog Very Happy

related to the widely used French word fouiner which means to nose around the place.

bordel de merde, le fisc va encore fouiner dans mes affaires
ski holidays
Not seen black ones here, in Germany.
Round here they seem to be a much more "golden" colour than those I've seen elsewhere.

Do see black woodpeckers though.
latest report
Black squirrels used to be all over the place when I lived in Toronto (and I assume they still are), and are definitely variants of the North American grey squirrel (like @geepee's imported ones).
snow report
@davidof, merci pour la leçon, j'ai besoin de toute l'aide je peux prendre snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've seen a black squirrel in Germany on the drive from Strasbourg down towards Lake Constance. Probably about 4 years ago now.

It became known as a Venom Squirrel after the Venom Spiderman from the Marvel film at the time..
ski holidays
So I thought squirrels hibernated in the depths of winter, that for me is more surprising than the colour ?
snow report
davidof wrote:
valais2 wrote:

Squirrel
Eichhörnchen

Surely you mean oachkatzl wink
snow conditions
clarky999 wrote:
davidof wrote:
valais2 wrote:

Squirrel
Eichhörnchen

Surely you mean oachkatzl wink

an oak cat ? Just what do those guys smoke in the south?
snow conditions
@davidof,
Quote:

bordel de merde, le fisc va encore fouiner dans mes affaires

Laughing The more I watch Engrenages - which I love - the less this sort of language poses any problems for me. wink
ski holidays
Black variations of many common species exist.
Melanistic is the term.

If Melanistics cross breed they will most likely (though not guaranteed) throw melanistic offspring...and so on to produce a significant and enduring melanistic population.

They are not Black Squirrels (a species) they are Squirrels that are black (if you see what I mean)
ski holidays
 JeffJeff
JeffJeff
As far as I know black squirrels just have a different gene for pigmentation the same way some people have black hair and others blonde. Perhaps the dominance is reversed in them with black being more recessive than the lighter colour which explains why they are scarcer. Never seen that in red squirrels (though I've rarely seen them anyway) or in grey squirrels in the UK. In some places in the US however black are very common. Americans must find it very amusing and confusing to watch British tourists get fascinated by them the first time they see one. Niagara Falls was the first place I saw a couple and in Washington DC I saw a lot. It makes sense that these populations are isolated to different areas and that the mutation hasn't spread all over and also explains why I've never seen a black one in the UK if the handful of grey squirrels first introduced here did not carry that gene. I also saw some white ones in DC (though far fewer) which did not appear to actually be albinos, as far as I could tell they did not have red eyes anyway. Although DC seems to have a ridiculously high squirrel population anyway (very amusing watching Japanese tourists try to feed them on the steps of the Lincoln memorial only to get mobbed) so perhaps they aren't actually more common there and there is simply a higher sample of the population.

What was interesting (if you are boring like me) was the difference in behaviour between these variations. The black squirrels seem very hyperactive (even for a squirrel) and a lot more playful and active than the grey ones and if you saw one then you'd usually see two or three in the same place sticking together. This could potentially be explained by the extra heat absorbing qualities of black fur meaning they needed far less energy to keep warm than the grey ones so could afford to aimlessly run about and play or maybe the pigmentation is just a marker for some other underlying mutation that affects their behaviour, perhaps one that decreases chances of survival so limiting their numbers. I am no expert...

The few white ones I saw were noticeably shunned or bullied by the others. I don't want to anthropomorphise them but they seemed to noticeably get chased off and attacked by the others and end up keeping to themselves to the point where you could not help feel sorry for them. Although this makes sense in regards to natural selection as they'd stick out like a sore thumb to a predator and endanger the others around them, at least until winter rolls around. Yes... I really just wrote that much about squirrels on a ski forum...
latest report
davidof wrote:
valais2 wrote:

do they look like this?

That's a Bridgwater squirrel........
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
So I thought squirrels hibernated in the depths of winter, that for me is more surprising than the colour ?

Still no answer Toofy Grin
latest report
@Weathercam, ...hibernate?....this is what they do...more overdone apres ski drinking....

http://youtube.com/v/LAfKZUn9sZ0
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:
Weathercam wrote:

Still no answer Toofy Grin

The short answer is, "No, squirrels do not hibernate, but they do sleep a lot." Squirrels do not hibernate in winter, but they do not like cold weather, so they will stay in their den or drey when it is really cold, opting to stay warm rather than venture out. They need to eat during the winter, which is why they bury nuts/seeds.
snow report
Ingemar_Skidmark wrote:
Black squirrels are quite common in Letchworth Garden City, believe it or not...

Very much, black squirrels are a variant of grey squirrels which are obviously resident in the UK. And it's well known there's a population of black squirrels in Cambridgeshire.

No grey squirrels, black or otherwise, in the alps fortunately for the red squirrels that we do have. It would obviously be quite a big deal if grey squirrels were introduced to the alps, they're invasive and you probably would need to report a sighting to the fauna or Forest police.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy