Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best resort for nightlife (mid-late 20s crowd)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all. We are trying to organise a skiing trip for first week Jan, and in our group there are a few single guys in their late 20s who have as one of their priorities a good night life with crowed in a similar age range.

The rest of us will probably be too exhausted to leave our rooms after 930.

Anyway, we were trying to decide between Val D'Isere, Tignes, Ischgl and Salbaach-Hinterglem (though I am open to other recommendations), and was wondering which of these would satisfy those looking for the nightlife. My impression of some of the Austrian resorts, compared to the French resorts, is that they tend to be a much older crowed, but I would appreciate your views as I haven't been to any of the resorts I mention above.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Upmarket = Verbier.
Mid = Val d'Isere.
Downmarket = Ischgl, St Anton, Saalbach, Chamonix.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My recollections are that Tignes is limited...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Saalbach! Downmarket!? I'm not having that!

Mein Gott!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
L2A always seemed like that sort of orientation to me.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Saalbach would be perfect.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ischgl for noisy coyote ugly evenings. Fun

St Anton for beer fueled evenings.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ignore Whitegold. Always.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Vernier for braying trustifarians 😂😂
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
vipul wrote:
Verbier for braying trustifarians 😂😂
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Vernier for braying trustifarians 😂😂
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Bobab, Send me a PM with your email address if you'd like a copy of my comprehensive guide to Saalbach-Hinterglemm, which will give you a pretty good insight into what the resort has to offer, in terms of both skiing and apres-ski. As a good night life is one of your priorities, avoid French resorts and short list the Ski Circus (Saalbach, Hinterglemm)(intermediates' paradise), Ischgl (a bit more pricey and germanic) and St Anton (much more challenging piste skiing). You will find plenty on Youtube to give you a good insight too. Finally +1 for the above advice to ignore Whitegold.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another +1 for Salbach....and tatmanstours info is extremely useful.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Cacciatore, Thank you Blush (and avoid late night rides on Daisy the cow, eh?) wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@tatmanstours, Laughing Laughing Laughing

Saalbach, or Val d'Isere. You will love both of them, skiing and lift system are excellent at both. Val is generally more expensive. I absolutely love the very different apres experiences at both of them. Saalbach is cheesier but amazing fun, Val is a bit more "look at me" but Cocorico really takes some beating.

Ischgl is awesome but VERY blokey, as is St Anton.
ski holidays
The question was about best resort for nightlife - not skiing, lifts or anything else.

The answer is Zermatt, no question at all. Best Apres ski in the world.
latest report
@telford_mike, Surprised to hear you say that. I went to Zermatt twice, admittedly many years ago (so maybe things have changed), each time in chalet parties, and we found very little of interest at night - at least nothing to compare with the kind of apres-ski hilarity that goes on in certain Austrian resorts, especially between 4.00 and 7.30pm, but also late into the night. Highlights were a good live band at an Irish pub one evening, and a street snowball fight in which the resplendently attired commissionaires outside the Grand Hotel Zermatterhof got pelted. Apart from that we came away with the impression that it was quite a peaceful place - none the worse for that, typically Swiss.
snow report
@tatmanstours, I understand your parochial prejudices - I have my own too. Hence I did not advance my own village in this thread, as Wengen could hardly be renowned as the party capital of the Alps.

However, having travelled the length and breadth of the Alps (including your own splendid village, which, incidentally, I enjoyed immensely and will be visiting again soon), I can only recall Zermatt as the best, money-no-object, anything-goes party town. Of course this may well accord with my age group (50+) so I will happily defer to those younger than I, who may carry a differing opinion.

Different strokes etc I guess, but have a great season!
snow report
Quote:

Wengen could hardly be renowned as the party capital of the Alps.

Sadly I've never been to Wengen, but, having seen some of its apres-ski featured in that memorable 80s documentary, "On The Piste" (which I see is still easily found on Youtube), I can readily understand why you might have been blown away by Zermatt's party atmosphere! wink Laughing
You have a great season too - hopefully it's shaping up to be a good one!
snow report
Ah Wengen, a wonderful place where the average age is something between death and decomposition rolling eyes
snow conditions
Late 20's, that'd be me. Early evening Sanatogen and Horlicks in Wengen. If you've the cash of a famous rapper or Russian oligarch you can find overpriced ladies, vodka and coke in Zermatt. Pretentious toff sprogs in Verbier. Hooray Henry's in V.D., Drunken Russians in Ischgl, drunken everybody in St Anton, drunken Snowheads in Tignes in 11 days time yeah.. Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Lots of English in St Anton if that's what you're after. I was there a couple of years ago and it was definitely a good party on the slopes - me in my mid thirties felt a little bit old though. The last couple hundred metres of skiing after all that apres was hilarious! (and probably a bit dangerous).

Have fun!

Of course Mayrhofen is up there also.
ski holidays
Left field - Engelberg has some options and a partying scandi crowd
snow conditions
Unfortunately we haven't found anything in our budget, close to the centre, in St Anton. So that is currently out.

Am I wrong about the age and blokeyness of the Austrian resorts. Would you say Saalbach-H would be right for that age group? And is it safe snow-wise first week Jan? I am assuming you think Ischgl is for an older crowed?

Definitely not looking for anything upmarket.
ski holidays
@Bobab, a tight budget and ski night life don't compute, Livigno is duty free or you can go Bulgaria Sad
ski holidays
For the budget conscious and even more left-field:

Pas de la Casa in Andorra. Admittedly it was 25 years ago but it was very much party central.

More recently (2006 and 2013) Also consider Sauze d'Oulx in Italy. Very lively esp and the Irish bar.
latest report
I don't think Austrian resorts are really any more blokey than those in other countries - skiing's just a rather sausage-heavy hobby and people tend to go out in the evenings in Austria rather than hide in their chalets/apartments so it's more obvious. Yes you get lots of women in couples and families but the ratio of girls-on-tour to lads-on-tour groups is a long way from 50:50.

I'd say Ischgl does get a slightly older crowed. You get the 20's crowed in the Kuhstall and maybe Nikis Stadl but I'd say the average age in most of the bars is 30's/40's - but that's just because it's an expensive resort and most people in their 20's aren't rolling in cash.
latest report
Is Mayrhofen not a better shout for younger crowd? Have only been in summer but my mates son spent a season there and loved it. As it’s a bit cheaper than St Anton or Ischgl it will attract a younger crowd plus Zillertalerbier is awesome 😎
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is Mayrhofen not a better shout for younger crowd? Have only been in summer but my mates son spent a season there and loved it. As it’s a bit cheaper than St Anton or Ischgl it will attract a younger crowd plus Zillertalerbier is awesome 😎
snow report
Bobab wrote:

Am I wrong about the age and blokeyness of the Austrian resorts. Would you say Saalbach-H would be right for that age group? And is it safe snow-wise first week Jan? I am assuming you think Ischgl is for an older crowed?

Plenty of young Dutch and Scandinavian season workers and tourists in Saalbach (and Hinterglemm - Goassstall and Eis Paleis). No worries with snow.

I had plenty of fun partying in Ischgl the first time I went aged 18, but yeah I'd say on the whole Saalbach has a slightly younger crowd.
ski holidays
Lechbob wrote:
Late 20's, that'd be me. Early evening Sanatogen and Horlicks in Wengen. If you've the cash of a famous rapper or Russian oligarch you can find overpriced ladies, vodka and coke in Zermatt. Pretentious toff sprogs in Verbier. Hooray Henry's in V.D., Drunken Russians in Ischgl, drunken everybody in St Anton, drunken Snowheads in Tignes in 11 days time yeah.. Laughing Laughing

What's the difference between a Pretentious toff sprog and a Hooray Henry? Not a fan of either BTW! Must have managed to find the places to avoid them when in Val D last year.
snow report
@Bobab, well the Austrian resort of Solden (or as he called it Soldin Smile ) got a very favourable apres-ski report from snowhead savaloy joy some years back..... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Saalbach in a flash.
snow report
Lechbob wrote:
Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Chamonix was quite lively last time I was there a few years ago. And Kitzbuhel is another Austrian resort where the partying seems as important as the skiing to most of the clientele.
snow report
There's all ages in Saalbach, we're returning for our 4th time.

I've even seen women there Smile....
snow report
telford_mike wrote:
The question was about best resort for nightlife - not skiing, lifts or anything else.

The answer is Zermatt, no question at all. Best Apres ski in the world.

So what? I'll mention what I like! Most of my post was about apres, bloody pedant.
snow report
Funny thing is the OP talked about going to some of the most expensive apres resorts in the alps and then a few posts later says the resorts are outside his budget and he is "not looking for anything upmarket" Puzzled
ski holidays
Quote:
Funny thing is the OP talked about going to some of the most expensive apres resorts in the alps and then a few posts later says the resorts are outside his budget and he is "not looking for anything upmarket" Puzzled

I am sorry, but you are clearly misreading/misrepresenting what I said.

I said that we could not find anything in St Anton within our budget. In the other resorts, we have been able to put together a trip that comes to £700-850 per person for the week (including flights, transfer, accommodation, ski pass, and ski hire).

And there is a difference between not wanting something "upmarket" and not being able to afford certain resorts. We have no interest in champagne bottles, cocktails and fancy restaurant. Give me a cozy down to earth bar with a good crowd and good music any time of day.

Having said that, I am open to all suggestions. Good skiing for a week, early Jan snow, and good night life with crowd the same age as the younger folk in our group. At the moment it is coming down to between to Salbaach-Hinterglem and Val D'Isere. If anyone has been to both of these I would be grateful for a compare. And as always, open to other recommendations.
snow report
Quote:

we have been able to put together a trip that comes to £700-850 per person for the week (including flights, transfer, accommodation, ski pass, and ski hire).

£700 does sound about right for those items if it's for the w/c 6th January.
Quote:

At the moment it is coming down to between to Salbaach-Hinterglem and Val D'Isere. If anyone has been to both of these I would be grateful for a compare.

No contest! (But I would say that, wouldn't I, so I won't say any more, except that I've been to both wink )
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy