Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone in Niseko Jan20th onwards?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As per the subject line......

I'm out Sun I think with a mixed group though will be looking at guiding options mid week onwards.

Just been reading about all the "rules" and does grate against what I'm used to!*

I need convincing I think!

*I was warned by a mate that I might have problems getting my head around things
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't duck ropes

Very simple really
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Mike Pow, what the feck are ropes!

That's what I'm on about. Feckin restrictions that I'm not used to!

Are they to control drunken Auusies?

Surely I can go down the road and skin up something I like the looks of?!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm out to furano Hokkaido.flight is on Saturday 10-50 from LHR. I will get a guide for a day or two and will be skiing mainly off piste bit of skinning to get the goods and will be ducking the ropes at some stage the worst that can happen is they will take your lift pass away
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arriving in Niseko Friday evening for 6 nights then road trip to Kiroro and Furano.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Weathercam, within the resort boundary there are some ropes.
Don't duck them.
If you do and get caught the authorities might get a little stroppy.

There are also many Gates that lead to out-of-resort controlled areas.
Go out of them and re-enter lower down.

There is one very dangerous and STRICTLY OFF LIMITS area that is clearly marked on the resort maps, and has clear warning signs.
Do Not Go There!

If you do the authorities will get VERY stroppy.

Drive down the road, walk down the road, and find something that looks nice...skin up.
You are able to do that, other people do.

You are in Japan.
Respect their rules and laws, just as you would expect a Japanese visitor to Serre Chavalier to respect yours.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I spent 6 weeks there and used loads of gates and ducked a fair amount of ropes. Even asked one of the ski patrols if we could go under one and he said yes but be careful and make sure we had probes etc.

My advice is get some guided days in and if your at gran hifaru hike the peak nice an early for the fresh pow.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bit of wine talking last night after a long wet n'windy drive up to the tunnel and then equally wet n'windy drive back to South Coast.

Was looking at various guiding Co's last night and will send a few emails later today after I've had a chat to a couple in our group suggesting the weaker skier maybe should have a few days lessons etc
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think I remember reading that the only recorded fatal avalanches in Niseko occurred either when people were skiing in the off limits area, or were skiing outside the backcountry gates when they were closed (i.e. ducking ropes). I'd say they are pretty conservative when it comes to opening the gates.

That said, I witnessed some small slips and cracks out gate 5 on a day when the gate didn't open till mid morning. It felt pretty dicey, but the gate was open and people were piling in everywhere in the powder rush (self included Embarassed ). I'm sure you don't need a lesson in backcountry safety, but it's very easy to get carried away in Niseko in particular as everyone is there for the powder and people start taking daft risks.

TLDR - don't duck ropes unless you really, really know what you're doing, and are prepared for a dressing down.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Weathercam, if some of your group need lessons in Niseko can I pimp you my daughter (a.k.a The Lass, a very experienced instructor) who is working there this season?

PM me if you like...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Use gates to access the off piste and don’t duck the ropes - you really don’t have to. If it’s roped off and no gates it’s either protected, sacred, dangerous or all of the above.

Don’t eat the sea urchin testicles.

Japan is different. Embrace the change; don’t hate it 🤘
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy