Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hostels in resorts? Need to get away cheap!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads, I'm looking to get away for a short trip this January in between my university exams. I haven't got time for a full week and I generally hate package tours anyway, I'd much rather book some cheap flights and find the cheapest accom I can. With that in mind, I am looking for good recommendations of ski resorts with hostels (or other cheap accom) that are within easy reach of an airport with some budget carriers going to it. I had in mind the Gasthof Zillertal in Mayrhofen, but since Monarch went tits up, the other carriers to Innsbruck seem to have all put their prices up. That's capitalism for you.

Since I'm a student, I'm discounting France and Switzerland as I don't fancy paying €8 a pint.

Cheers!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Italy? Half board hotels with a minibus to the slopes can be pretty cheap & flights to Milan are always pretty reasonable
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Italy? Half board hotels with a minibus to the slopes can be pretty cheap & flights to Milan are always pretty reasonable
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Glen Coe.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chamonix / Argentiere.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Try this place, Gite le Belvedere in Argentiere (France). Very cheap and a good atmosphere (run by an English lad called Ben). Don't take my word for it, look on tripadvisor. I'm in my mid-40s now, with fairly high expectations. This place exceeded them! Rooms/beds from 20to25E. They are licensed to sell their own beer on site at 2E (otherwise the local pubs are more like 5-6E, rather than 8E). Great skiing for all close by, with easy flights to Geneva and numerous cheap transfer companies to the door (we've used Alpybus from Geneva). The nearby skiing caters for all (on the same pass). Argentiere - Grand Montets for advanced, Argentiere (on piste) and Flagere-Brevent for intermediates, and for some easier cruising there's La Tour.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
France: http://www.fuaj.org/en/

Italy: https://www.aighostels.it/

Austria: http://www.jugendherberge.at/
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@achilles has a point if ( definitely if) you can carpe diem and the snow/weather Gods are on your side ( and you don't mind tow lifts). Tour the resorts if you have transport.
Saves on the travel and time, but whether it's really cheaper ( self catering? Hostel?) is questionable, and may lack a certain social apres aspect, depending on where you stay rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
5 nights half board in engelberg youth hostel and a 4 day lift pass will set you back about £350, short train ride from Zurich and plenty of flights to there. Deepest snowpack in Europe supposedly
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chalet Chardons.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Action Outdoors (UCPA) 4 day break from for less than £420 at several different French resorts. All inclusive accommodation, meals, lift pass and equipment hire. Only need flight and transfer.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chamonix Chalet Ski Station.

20 euros per day. Unbelievable price for a place few meters from Brévent lift.

It’s a functional hostel. I would definitely repeat.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Italy,
half board, 3* star hotel

we are going Jan, soon

Typically 450 euro, one person , one room
half board
wellness centre

450 includes HB, and full area lift pass 6 nights
similar price in March

Usually in a satellite town , 10km from lift
use hired car to drive to lift
or free bus

Fly Milan, BGY or Treviso

Car hire from Bgy 6 days approx 70e, 7 days , incl chains

if you stay in a traditional ski town, ie Madonna Di Camp, add 300e minimum to above prices

Use google maps, stay in a satellite town enroute, with easy access to a lift
Use google maps... Pick a town of your choice , in maps, type "hotel" in search bar, to see hotels, and proximity to lifts

use hotel website, email , prices that method will usually incl lift pass

Prices above Jan , and perhaps more mar

Enjoy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cheap deal with snowcoach?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@huw_jenks, flights to Munich are often cheaper, though the transfer is a bit longer.
latest report
Borovets in Bulgaria? Flights are pretty cheap, transfers take just over an hour from Sofia. Everything there is cheap. Not much skiing but enough for a long weekend. You can do four nights B&B, flights, transfers, 3-day lift pass and ski hire for £300.
ski holidays
I went to zell am ziller the week before Xmas. I flew to Munich with easyjet. Hired a car with expedia £95 for week drove 2hr (need to get vigniette €9 for austria)
Stayed in bnb for €26.80 per night (booked through tourist office) including breakfast.
Huge area to ski
snow report
In Glencoe you can camp just outside the pub. (Or you could, it was a long time ago; I was at school, we weren't skiing but there was plenty of snow and others were. Do people still do it?)
snow report
Bad Gastein:

http://www.hostel-badgastein.at/

http://www.euro-youth-hotel.at/
snow report
Thanks for the advice folks, lots to think about there. Leaning towards Scotland at the moment. I have touring kit, and I went to Aviemore a couple of years back and had a great time, always said I'd ski Scotland again. Not Cairngorm though, not very happy about the way they choose to run the mountain...

Csb123 wrote:

I hope that's a joke...
ski holidays
For Scotland keep an eye on the ski areas facebook pages. When are you thinking of going?
Check the MWIS weather forecast it's pretty accurate. Also winterhighland webcams. Try and not go at the weeks d's as if there is snow it will be busy.
It's just so unpredictable, I have been going abroad the last few years and just grabbing the odd day in Scotland when conditions suit.
Good luck.
ski holidays
@huw_jenks, forecast for Scotland windy over weekend and looking wild next week. Personally I’d head to the Alps (and I’m a very keen local!).

@James the Last, Kings House hotel shut pending major renovations which look as though they may have a very different aspirational target market than campers out the back. Sad. It was needing refreshed but the plans don’t sit comfortably with me. You’ll find some coverage of contentious planning applications on bbc news website if you’re interested.
latest report
huw_jenks wrote:
Thanks for the advice folks, lots to think about there. Leaning towards Scotland at the moment. I have touring kit, and I went to Aviemore a couple of years back and had a great time, always said I'd ski Scotland again. Not Cairngorm though, not very happy about the way they choose to run the mountain...

Csb123 wrote:

I hope that's a joke...

We met once a long time ago and agreed on the omnishambles that was Snowcoach customer service. Very Happy
ski holidays
Youth hostel in Tignes led Boisses/1850.
ski holidays
Hostel Gite la Chamionard Volante in Chamonix. From Euros 22 per night for a shared dorm.Use Chamexpress or one of the other cheap transfers from Geneva. It is basic but if price is your priority it should work.
snow report
@huw_jenks, can highly recommend the youth hostel in St Moritz, the bus stops outside the front door, they do a half board deal, the beer is reasonably priced, and you won't believe its a youth hostel https://www.youthhostel.ch/de/hostels/st-moritz
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy