Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car hire and child booster seats

Poster: A snowHead
Both my children are now over 135cm meaning in the UK they don’t legally need a booster seat (though youngest who is only just over still prefers one).

However I was just checking to make sure it is the same in Norway / Sweden and it looks like they both need a booster seat as they are under 150cm.

Do I need to pre-book these? I have bolked the car hire already and didn’t think I would need one(i know should have checked sooner). Am I likely to be charged for this? Should I try and take our own (eeks to the imapact in our luggage!!!). We have 4 bags at 23kg but that needs to include 2 pairs of skis, boots and poles.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Who are you flying with? BA and Easyjet allow you to take child seats for free in addition to normal hold baggage (we used to do it at lot). EJ allow 2 free child-related items per child i.e. buggy, cot, car seat etc.

In my experience rental companies charge more per day for child seats than they cost in the supermarket.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It is with BA. I know we could when they were infants didn’t realise we still could now? At 8 and 11?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If not, get trunki rucksacks as their hand luggage, they double up as booster seats and are great
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
2020rules wrote:
If not, get trunki rucksacks as their hand luggage, they double up as booster seats and are great

Is that right? I never realised that. My sister offered me her daughters and I turned her down!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes

Not the ride on ones for little kids but these ones

https://www.trunki.co.uk/collections/boostapak

We used them for years, were brilliant!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
NickyJ wrote:
It is with BA. I know we could when they were infants didn’t realise we still could now? At 8 and 11?

Yes, they are still a child from BA's perspective so you are still entitled to a car seat (and buggy, but that might be a challenge even for the 8 yr old!)

The BA website indicates "children and infants"

We take our own, never a problem.

I also recently bought a BA max-sized cabin bag for about £30 from amazon, and it's absolutely enormous. BA usually allows you to gate-check big bags to free up cabin room, so if you want more free allowance, look at this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aerolite-56x45x25-Allowance-Lightweight-Suitcase/dp/B01LX0LJRA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1514902820&sr=8-2&keywords=ba+cabin&tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@2020rules, ah yes it was a ride on one (hence slightly wondering if you were pulling my leg - sorry).

Thanks so much for the link, didn’t even know about them.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@snowdave, great to hear.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
+1 to the Trunki Booster Packs. Got ours for a really good price from Halfords. Our (tall) 3 yo and 6yo love them. Also handy at home when using Uber.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would just take a backless booster as hand luggage. It’s not a big inconvenience really. The other option would be a bubblebum. They fold down well and you can just pop it in a bag.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another vote for the Trunki boosters. Travelled all over the world with them and they are great. Got funny looks in China a few years ago mind you. Once spent over an hour in Geneva airport car hire trying to prise a decent car seat out of AVIS...never again! Another advantage of the Trunki booster is that it can also be their carry on for comics / books / pencils / cuddly toy etc. They slide very neatly under the seats on the plane and once they get a big bigger they can rest their feet on them. Good for playdates etc as well.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Have inflatable ones been mentioned ? Loads of second hand ones on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/inflatable-booster-seat
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MouseInLux wrote:
I would just take a backless booster as hand luggage. It’s not a big inconvenience really. The other option would be a bubblebum. They fold down well and you can just pop it in a bag.

We both of these. Just found the bubblebum booster before Xmas. Recommend them as great for travelling. Buy them at Halford.

I have seem families left in the lurch after booking booster seats with Hertz then finding none waiting for them. This was at Heathrow but I dont find rental companies overseas any more reliable.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@NickyJ

You don’t need to use a booster seat, unless you want to.

The rules in Norway is that children between 135 - 150 cm and under 36kg should use approved child restraint equipment if such equipment is available in the car (eg integrated booster seat).

In Sweden, the rules are the same as the UK (booster seat for under 135cm).
ski holidays
Most airlines (even the ‘low cost’ ones) let you take a car seat as extra for free for children.
It’s often hidden away in the baggage policy but well worth it.
We only realised after a trip to Portugal when we were charged £40 for a very tatty old booster seat for a week. A similar one new costs only £25 at Halfords!
latest report
Spoon wrote:
@NickyJ

The rules in Norway is that children between 135 - 150 cm and under 36kg should use approved child restraint equipment if such equipment is available in the car (eg integrated booster seat).

We fly into Norway then drive into Sweden
ski holidays
We use these.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00DN71448/ref=mp_s_a_1_4_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1515681803&sr=8-4&keywords=child+booster+car+seat&dpPl=1&dpID=312tEuvPezL&ref=plSrch&tag=amz07b-21

For all our holidays. Our son managed to break one while in the back of my parents car. Think he was fed up and started bouncing around. They weigh virtually nothing and we can fit 2 into the pocket of an expanding suitcase. Sure they would not help at all in an accident but given the choice is often rubbish too, at an outrageous price, they are great.
snow conditions
Just been looking at the Trunki further and looks like it is no good. Found one review which was claim a max height of 52” that is 132cm. Even my youngest is over 135 and eldest is 147! They are clearly aimed for the UK rules not for the stricter French / Norway ones which is a real shame as I have thought they looked a great idea and would make it all much easier.
snow report
what...snow wrote:
We use these.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00DN71448/ref=mp_s_a_1_4_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1515681803&sr=8-4&keywords=child+booster+car+seat&dpPl=1&dpID=312tEuvPezL&ref=plSrch&tag=amz07b-21

For all our holidays. Our son managed to break one while in the back of my parents car. Think he was fed up and started bouncing around. They weigh virtually nothing and we can fit 2 into the pocket of an expanding suitcase. Sure they would not help at all in an accident but given the choice is often rubbish too, at an outrageous price, they are great.

Again this is no good as max weight is 36kg my daughter who is 147cm tall so still needs it is 37kg (with clothes which lets face it she WILL be wearing.
snow conditions
NickyJ wrote:
Spoon wrote:
@NickyJ

Was going to say that it's 135cm in Sweden, or we hope so as we've stopped using booster seats for our son!

It will add some time, but if you get desperate one of you could pop to Biltema (like Halfords) near the airport while the others have a snack in the airport. http://www.biltema.no/no/Varehus/Jessheim/

Booster cushion from 129 NOK http://www.biltema.no/no/Bil---MC/Bil-tilbehor/Barn-i-bilen/Barnestol/
ski holidays
Given the girls tickets allow them to have there car seat taken in baggage in addition to their baggage allowance we will take ours out their.

Has anybody done this with booster seats? How do we (the airport) actually attach baggage labels to them?
ski holidays
Also just checked and all off our booster seats are designed for upto 36kg which is fine in UK as for upto 135cm, but as I said before children which are much closer to the 150cm upper limit are going to be above that weight? Will this mean that should we be stopped are we going to have issues?
snow conditions
Themasterpiece wrote:
NickyJ wrote:
Spoon wrote:
@NickyJ

Was going to say that it's 135cm in Sweden, or we hope so as we've stopped using booster seats for our son!

It will add some time, but if you get desperate one of you could pop to Biltema (like Halfords) near the airport while the others have a snack in the airport. http://www.biltema.no/no/Varehus/Jessheim/

Booster cushion from 129 NOK http://www.biltema.no/no/Bil---MC/Bil-tilbehor/Barn-i-bilen/Barnestol/

These items (thanks very much for the link) again have the same weight range! It also talks about 140cm but I need to fire up Pc and use google translate to understand if that is a max or min height! Ah this is red herring as that was talking about sitting in the front and air bags.
ski holidays
I bought 2 cheap plastic ones and they fitted nicely in the twin roller ski bag. Only a 14 quid for 2 from Argos. They don't sell that model any more so I can't comment on weight limits etc, but I think that was cheaper than one weeks hire.
latest report
NickyJ wrote:
Has anybody done this with booster seats? How do we (the airport) actually attach baggage labels to them?

Put them in a plastic bag and take them onboard as part of girls hand luggage allocation. Otherwise put them both together in a single soft bag and check them in. We always put our larger seats in a bag to protect them when checking them in. This is quite normal.

Cheap boosters are available from Halfords for £8.
snow conditions
Just to confirm I have checked her BMI just to see if I am not going mad in thinking that it is unreasonable to expect upto 36kg to be suitable for upto 150cm and she is 34th percentile on the BMI charts!
latest report
HAha just found this.

https://www.vegvesen.no/_attachment/307291/binary/540918

Is this an official source anybody know? As reading this we only need a booster for my youngest due to my eldest bring over 36kg?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We've taken our own booster seats with us every time we've flown. Just check them in with the usual luggage, the counter staff stick the barcodes on them, then the seats either go on the belt or are dropped off at oversized luggage. No charge and no fuss. Never had a problem in eight years.

The barcodes usually get stuck on the fabric with the smaller peel off barcodes on the seat plastic.
ski holidays
@BonzoBear, thank you!
snow report
Based on that link and what @Spoon (who appears to live in Norway) says, surely if your children are both over 135cm you don't need a booster seat for either?
ski holidays
Spoon wrote:
@NickyJ

So I had missed a subtlety here, so if you hire a Car without an integrated booster seat then a child over 135 but under 36kg (my youngest) doesn’t ACTUALLY need a booster seat?
ski holidays
@NickyJ, I believe weight is the main criteria over height and age for safety. Just check in their existing car seat as no downside/cost to doing that. Otherwise buy a cheap £8 booster if you don’t fancy sunmbjecting your car seat to the baggage system / handlers. We had a second set of cheap car seats for travel c. £30 each when our kids were younger - they eventually moved to trunki boosters.
snow report
@Ozboy, yes this was my latest thoughts / plan. Just checkin the one booster for my youngest. Not too worried about them with the baggage handlers as we have my eldest old ones, which she hasn’t used for a couple of years now, still kicking around as they are useful to have when giving friends kids a lift etc. And we have always had one for you each car for each child due to nature of doing drops offs / pickups etc and working and living so far apart.
snow report
What the AA say:

Passengers/children in cars

Children under 1.35m tall must use an appropriate child restraint.
Airbags must be deactivated where children are seated in a rear-facing child restraint.

A child between 1.35 and 1.5m tall should use a booster seat with an adult seat belt.
snow report
musher wrote:
What the AA say:

Passengers/children in cars

Children under 1.35m tall must use an appropriate child restraint.
Airbags must be deactivated where children are seated in a rear-facing child restraint.

A child between 1.35 and 1.5m tall should use a booster seat with an adult seat belt.

Going off topic here (as main issue was making sure we stick within legal limits) however with my eldest she stuck with the booster till she was about 140cm but by then the length of her legs to her knees and being higher against meant her legs were fouling with the seat in front. Removing the booster seat means that her legs then fit into the recess designed for them. The rest of the car really isn’t designed for a child that BIG to be sat that high. Similarly booster seats are only suitable for weights to 36kg my 34th percentile daughter is above that while still under 150cm in height. I am coming to the conclusion that they are making rules (for good reasons) but the products just aren’t there to support them.

Youngest still uses booster day to day as she finds it more comfortable but once it is more comfortable without we will ditch it
ski holidays
@NickyJ

Just to be clear about my last post, you won't need to use a booster seat for your kids unless the hire car you get has one integrated. The only car I can think of that has them as standard would be a Volvo XC90.

But as both of your kids are over 135cm and 36kg, legally they don't need to use them in Norway or Sweden.

I'll hopefully be in Trysil next weekend for a day trip with my eldest who is 7 years old and I'll post a short trip report and some pics in Hyst Trysil thread
ski holidays
@Spoon, only my eldest is over 36kg. Youngest is under so will definitely take our booster seat with us.

Hire car example is VW Passat, obviously don’t know what we will actually get.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy