Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Base in Slovenia

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all.

We are looking at going to Slovenia in January and wondered if anyone had any advise on a good base as all the resorts look very small. I have found out that a pass is available for 8 resorts but these are a bit of a distance between each other. I don't think we'd be able to spend a whole week in one place.

Any help would be greatly received
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It depends what you want. Considering this is in off piste forum, I'm not sure if you are asking for backcountry skiing or "normal" resort skiing. Either way I would pick Kranjska Gora. For backcountry because you can hardly be any more centered to most of great backcountry places we have here. And for resort skiing, because you have some good Austrian resorts close by. At least personally I can't imagine spending more then half day at any of our ski resorts. But I might not be just the normal average skier, so things could be different for someone else Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I could - and hope to - spend considerably more than half a day here

Kanin Bovec - Sella Nevea
http://kanin.si/en/

http://youtube.com/v/VMe2FjuWMxk

http://youtube.com/v/ap3FNP8KgnA

http://youtube.com/v/jIaAJEWkgs4
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Mike Pow, its basically off-piste/backcountry, as except for few lines near lifts (which are tracked in few hours) you use gondola only to shorten bottom part. Real stuff starts from top of gondola, which basically classify this as backcountry and not resort/lift assisted skiing. Smile TGR movie is well... as fake as it goes in Hollywood style productions, and yes it was mostly made inside of resort, but I really doubt you or any "normal" skier will have much chances to ski deep pow on pistes closed for public and not groomed for days, especially when whole "resort" has 3 runs only. Wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Interesting to read. Thanks.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi All. Thanks for the reply. I struggle to put things in the right place on this website and realised that it would be better suited to "The Piste". I'm still considering it as a great place to go. I was thinking the scenery would be the thing that made it extra special as well as the skiing. Piste or off piste.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It is definitely worth going. Base yourself near the airport. It's easy to get anywhere, and if you have an afternoon flight, you can ski krvavec as it's only 5 miles from the airport.
If you need evening entertainment then maybe stay in Ljubljana. Bit harder to get to the resorts. Near the airport gives you good easy access to the bohinj basin and relatively easy access to kranjska gora.
Bled would give you some nightlife and be very close to the resorts.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bumping this thread with a related question:

Can anybody recommend an off piste guide out of Bovec? I will be solo, so even better if there is an outfit where I could join a group.

I'll be road-tripping for two weeks end Feb / beginning of March. Four days are planned based out of Kössen, Austria smack in the middle, so I have 5 days on either side to play with. I'm not making any bookings and plan to follow the snow, but I am restricted to the east side of the alps.

Looking at the current weather Sella Nevea / Bovec looks very interesting. Maybe a day in Vogel if it's worthwhile and a stop in Nassfeld on the way to Kössen.

Any advice on guides or otherwise is appreciated.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy