Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sprained Ankle

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am due to go skiing next Saturday however I badly sprained my ankle 8 weeks ago and it is still not healed. I can walk on it fine however I can't yet run or jump on it. Any explosive movements or twists still cause me pain. Just wondering if anyone has encountered anything similar ahead of skiing and what is the best form of protection/damage limitation when skiing? If there is any phsyio/exercises I can do in the next week then I would greatly appreciate the advice.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ben2704, can you get a ski boot on?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Hurtle, Yes, no pain externally at all. There's no longer any bruising or inflation. It's all internal as I damaged my ligaments (grade 2 at worst) so they are still tender/weak. I can walk fine on it however it's only when I try to run on it, jump or walk on uneven grounds/steep gradients do I suffer any pain. Hoping a ski boot will protect it however any extra help between now and then would be welcomed as I don't want to miss out on any skiing.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have you got a wobble board? They are good for ankle rehab.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Similar problem.
simple fix.
pay and go to a physio then follow all the exercises they give you.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I twisted my ankle a couple of months ago and, according to the physio, sustained bad ligament damage with a lot of bleeding.

It healed ok but I still get the same pain that you describe. However, I've been skiing on it fine since before Xmas. A ski boot seems to act as a pretty good ankle brace.

Try putting ski boots on and then jumping around in the garden. Clip in to your bindings and wiggle your ski to try to simulate the twisting force on your ankles. Then you'll have a better idea of whether you can ski. Asking the docs and physios, they tend to say, if it hurts to do it, don't do it.

And as the others have said, make sure you get physio.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Did mine bad in Aug. Loads of physio. Elevation compression ice and ibuprofen every day. Deep massage weekly to sort out overworked muscle and tendons. Now skiiable but jumping hurts and am still wearing a compression bandage at night plus ibu.

Loads of physio - pay and follow the advice.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I had a Grade 2 sprain at the end of February last year, leading to heavy bruising and lots of inflammation. Followed a similar programme to what other people have said above. Did some very gentle skiing from early May, but to be honest that felt a bit too soon. Even putting the ski boot on and off was quite painful. Felt confident to run on it from August, but even now it aches more then I would like it to so probably a 95% recovery. Now that it feels much stronger I'm spending a bit of time each day on a Bosu dome balancing on one foot to strengthen muscles around the ankle join to support the damaged ligament.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Every injury is different of course - in my case I went skiing offpiste one week after I was able to run 5 minutes on a treadmill for the first time, which was slightly more than 2 months after my ankle injury. The ankle hurt but, surprisingly, almost only after skiing and only if I kept my boot on for more than 5-10 minutes after skiing (so I lunched and apres-d with one boot off).

The boot acts as a cast, making further injury rather unlikely.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
What hawkwind and ChrisKernow have said. Advice from snowheads is one thing. Professional advice from someone who has actually examined you, and following that advice is another - and what is needed.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Had a bad sprain a couple of years ago. Went skiing a couple of weeks later. Was able to get foot into boot without too much discomfort (swelling had gone down). I found the boot supported the ankle whilst skiing pretty well. No real pain or discomfort. A pleasant surpise. Suspect Horizon is right. Walking, however, continued to be quite painful.

I suspect much will depend on the nature and severity of the sprain.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Last year I jammed my foot under a 4x2M steel gate, heard a lovely crack and said a few words. I was due to go skiing 48 hours later. Despite not being able to bend my ankle, put a lot of pressure on my foot (limped/hobbled everywhere), I still went skiing. Despite my OH wanting to take me to A&E, my theory being if it was confirmed Id damaged my ankle/foot I couldn't go skiing. I could get my ski boot on by myself but had to have help taking of off due to the pain. I had no problem skiing as my boot acted as a cast, my foot was a lovely purple colour by midweek. It did take a good six months for my foot to heal properly though.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Depends on your level of pain tolerance.. I broke my arm (radius and scaphoid) on the first morning of a snowboard holiday, went to local A&E in Livigno for x-rays and a plaster cast, then walked to the hire shop to change the snowboard for skis.

A pint of lager for the pain and I was skiing again within 2 hours, albeit with my arm in a sling.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry for the late reply. Just like to thank all those who gave advice.

My ankle was absolutely fine when in a ski boot (the only thing bad was the weather). I used an ankle support, Voltarol, Ibuprofen, Deep Heat and plenty of Kronenbourgs to assist however my ankle actually felt as good as new when in the ski boot.

Even now 13-14 weeks after I injured my ankle, I still experience pain following sharp movements and heavy landings when exercising/playing sport however anybody worrying about an ankle injury preventing them from skiing should fear not. A ski boot really is as good as a cast and the perfect protection.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Except that a ski boot is not a cast. For mine there is some ankle contortion when getting the boot on, and there is a degree of forward flex on each turn. Glad things worked out for you, though.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy