Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Broad search for Feb 2019

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks

OK, so I'm hoping to tap into the vast wealth of experience and knowledge on here to find me and my buds, a place to go next Feb half term... I'll try and list all the do's and font's below but open to as much as you can throw at me... Thx in advance folks

* Budget for the group is around €6000
* Large ski domain but doesn't have to be T3V size
* France/Austria/Swiss/Italy all good Very Happy Would prefer it to be no more than about 10 hrs drive
* Don't want T3V, Alpe d'Huez/L2A, EMB area, Les Gets, Chatel

Specifics
* Room for 12 of us (8 adults and 4 kids under 10)
* Preferable 6 bedrooms, but will take 4 (with 2 quad type rooms), or 5 (one quad for the all the kids)
* Self catered chalet preferable but will take apartment as long as no sofa beds
* Reasonable central location (no driving involved if poss)

So, any ideas folks??? All options would be hugely appreciated... Thx again Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How about Grimentz or Nendaz ? There's a fair amount of self-catering options in either, including chalets, and Switzerland doesn't suffer as much as France during half-term. Some downsides:
Nendaz is not that well linked into the 4 vallees ski area, especially for beginners / intermediates
Grimentz is linked to Zinal by cable-car, but for the rest of Val d'Anniviers (St Luc, Chandolin) you'd need to drive or take a bus
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Northern Austria sounds like the best bet I reckon (or northwest to shorten the drive), if you can find chalets.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@viv, Thx for this... We looked at Mendez last year and opted against it for the very reasons you mentioned...

@denfinella, Austria is an option for us but I've never been so would love some help with resorts etc. Also, I think S/C chalets are poss not really as popular in Austria...?

Thx again
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Friends have a fab chalet in Nendaz with a hot tub. We’ve stayed there a few times and it’s top notch.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/VacationRentalReview-g658753-d2066268-Chalet_Chambord_Luxury_Holiday_Home_Villa-Nendaz_Canton_of_Valais_Swiss_Alps.html

Within your budget but it’s out of town so you’d need to drive to Nendaz or (better) Siviez (10 mins) in the mornings.

http://www.chaletchambord.com/prices.html
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@AlpineAddict, Most of the Austrian resorts (and I think Swiss ones) have accommodation searches on their tourist office websites. An example is St Anton, I looked for "Ferienhaus" (everything else is in English, maybe this doesnt translate well but would broadly mean chalet in the sense of complete building available for rent) and found a number of places which would seem to match your description see https://www.stantonamarlberg.com/en/accommodations/accommodation-search?categories=bdf7e267-43f2-4a63-9c35-8aeaf7c18bb8 . Whether any would suit and would have availability ? I would suggest the Arlberg, Ischgl, Serfaus / Fiss amongst other places might be suitable, large areas about the same driving time from Calais as the main French resorts with the added advantage if you go via Belgium / Germany of no road tolls until you get to Austria (no speed limits on many of the Autobahns either).

If you are struggling with any of the websites emailing the relevant tourist office will inevitably bring a helpful reply
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
munich_irish wrote:
@AlpineAddict I would suggest the Arlberg, Ischgl, Serfaus / Fiss amongst other places might be suitable, large areas about the same driving time from Calais as the main French resorts with the added advantage if you go via Belgium / Germany of no road tolls until you get to Austria (no speed limits on many of the Autobahns either).

A couple of years ago drove to Kitzbuhel while some friends drove to Les Arcs at HT, having got on the same eurotunnel crossing. We arrived at roughly the same time as there's no queuing to get up mountain to get to the resort, or queues at payages.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Look at Grindelwald, huge variety of chalets & at huge range of prices. Reasonable drive down as well.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Drammeister, Does depend on when you go, high season, busy weekends the queues, on a Saturday morning south or Sunday evenings north, can be pretty big between Munich and the resorts in the more easterly and central part of the Tirol or Salzburgerland . Could easily add an hour or two to the journey.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@BobinCH, @munich_irish, @Drammeister, @Rogerdodger, Hi guys, thx for these suggestions... Will check them all out... Would def love to try somewhere out fo the France 'comfort zone'...

Ischgl has always been on my radar but it's difficult to find accommodation for us all in the centre of town. @Rogerdodger, Also considered this entire area, lot... Have always wanted t venture to Wengen, but again, Ive always perceived this area as being slightly disjointed.. Have I got that wrong...

One of the biggest hurdles we face is the fact that we have 2 families that will need to ski school, so the area needs to be able to cope with being able to travel different areas, and then back again, in that 2 hour 'ski school' period... As opposed to dropping the kids off, spending 30 mins getting out of wherever and then having to make 30 mins to get back down to wherever, via the same lifts runs etc. every day...

Thx again all Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@AlpineAddict, when we went to Gressoney the ski school (through Esprit but pretty sure the lesson format was driven by the ski school) was all day including lunch on the mountain for all lessons above Beginners (due to this we put our youngest into Beginners again as we felt she wasn’t upto a full day skiing when we went).

Ski 2 also operate in tht ski area.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
AlpineAddict wrote:

One of the biggest hurdles we face is the fact that we have 2 families that will need to ski school, so the area needs to be able to cope with being able to travel different areas, and then back again, in that 2 hour 'ski school' period... As opposed to dropping the kids off, spending 30 mins getting out of wherever and then having to make 30 mins to get back down to wherever, via the same lifts runs etc. every day...
Thx again all Happy

Austria, generally, does all day lessons and can include lunchtime supervision. We stayed in St Johann in Tirol a couple of times and drove to SkiWelt or Kitzbuhel for the day while the kids were in ski school from 9:30 to 3:30. It's pretty nice to spend 5 days skiing with your OH. Smile

munich_irish wrote:

@Drammeister, Does depend on when you go, high season, busy weekends the queues, on a Saturday morning south or Sunday evenings north, can be pretty big between Munich and the resorts in the more easterly and central part of the Tirol or Salzburgerland . Could easily add an hour or two to the journey.

Yes, but even with that, we arrived in resort in just about the same time. I think it was a particularly bad day in the french alps!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm not sure that al day ski school will suit, as one family like skiing with their boys of an afternoon, and the other family has a 4 and 6 year old so all day would be too much for the little lady and again, the eldest likes riding around with dad and co, in the afternoon... I will palm that on to them to investigate though... Step too far in my search that is... Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AlpineAddict wrote:
I'm not sure that al day ski school will suit, as one family like skiing with their boys of an afternoon, and the other family has a 4 and 6 year old so all day would be too much for the little lady and again, the eldest likes riding around with dad and co, in the afternoon... I will palm that on to them to investigate though... Step too far in my search that is... Very Happy

Fair enough but we certainly loved the Monterosa ski ar a and hope to go back there soon. I have seen a number of apartments, and the ones via Ski 2 looked nice.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@BobinCH, How far out of town is this place... I think I might have looked at this for this Feb's trip, but discounted ti because of location and access to T4V form Nendez... Be interested in some first hand account of how accessible everything is form Nendez...?

Thx
latest report
@AlpineAddict, it’s 3km up the hill above Haute Nendaz so you have to drive (which only takes 5 mins). When we stay we actually drive to Siviez and ski from there - 15 mins from the chalet and large free car park. This has much better access to the 4V than the centre of Nendaz, a great kids ski school (Arc-en-ciel), one of the best beginners slopes and IMHO the best red run in the 4V, and means you don’t have to worry about missing last lifts - as it’s accessible from all directions. Obviously if driving’s a big no no for you it’s no good, but if someone’s willing to drive it is a great chalet! Hope that helps
snow report
@BobinCH, Thx again for this info... It's going in the pot as a 'possible' however, I think we'd rather, this time, to be more central (walking distance) to things...
ski holidays
AlpineAddict wrote:

The Scuola italiano Sci in Champoluc were offering half day lessons when I was there In March. Presumably the equivalent in Gressoney would offer the same.
They are not the same outfit as Ski 2 (obvioulsy!).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy